X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW-190

Flugwerk GmbH has recently flown the first of their new-build FW-190s

see story at: www.flugwerk.com

I wonder if a relatively affordable and competative unlimited racer could be built based on one of these kits.

Tim B

Re: FW-190

From what I have seen on this site and a couple of others, to have a competative unlimited plane you have to have an INSANE motor built [i.e. big HP & big BUCKS]. Since there are only a few shops that can produce this type of horse power it becomes very expensive. The FW-190 looks great but some one would have to still lay out a huge amount of cash to put a motor in it to keep up in the gold class. Bronze or Silver maybe. But it would be great if some one could.

Comment

what's wrong with the ash-82? it powered one of the fastest planes in world war 2, the la-7.
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Guys, the kit is over half-a-mill. Add engine, paint, avionics, oh and that all important labor.

"Serious buyers only!"
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Guys, the kit is over half-a-mill. Add engine, paint, avionics, oh and that all important labor.

"Serious buyers only!"

Heh-heh,...VERY serious buyers... I wonder how the cost of buying one and setting it up as a competitive racer would compare to buying a pre-existing unlimited racer, such as DAGO or MISS AMERICA......

You'd probably be better off with a scaled-up version of Nemesis NXT or something along those lines....

Comment

One thing is for sure. Unlimited Air Racing is NOT for the person who is light in the pocket book. I'm sure glad that those who can afford it, do it so the rest of can enjoy watching them.

Comment

On the other hand, if they could sell 500 of 'em, the cost might get down to about $250K. Who's in?
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

WHen is someone going to do this with the Mustang? I know there are problems with the shortage of engine components, but with as much as people are spending on overauling merlins it seems like someone could sell repos of the wear parts.... and if there were engines then there would surely be a demand for a NEW p-51. But then I dont know enough about Merlins to know what parts there are shortages of; that is what can be remanufactured as opposed to what has to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                X