New Renegade Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Renegade Photos

There are new photos of David Rose's Renegade on Barnstormers.com website...
    Aircraft for sale. Find the best new and used aircraft for sale such as business jets, helicopters, Experimental, Warbirds and more.

Re: New Renegade Photos

That bird's looking sweet!

This new racer will compete in the "Unlimited" Class during the 2004 Reno Air Races.
    Anyone know if it's flown yet? Getting awfully close to race day......

Comment

I don't think its going to race this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.
      Jarrod

Comment

It sure looks sweet, I wonder if it will make it to Reno. Be interesting to see it fly.

Comment

It's not on the official entry list. So, it's not racing this year.

Comment

Since David Rose is racing rags would he be able to enter Renegade at the race?

Comment

there's no rule saying you can only race in one class, one guy racing in many classes is actually kind of common.
              heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Alan Preston flew in all the classes in one year some time ago if my befuddled memory serves me right

Comment

If it hasn't flown yet, it looks doubtful for '04. And they'll likely get a 40-hour test requirement from the FAA since the engine/prop combo are not certified. Although, does the Experimental/Exhibition certification have different test period requirements? I'd bet the Bear's P-3 prop didn't get 40 hours of test flying. A new-concept project like this will normally have lots of bugs and gremlins to iron out. Hope they chronicle the test flying.

Amazing progress overall! I'm impressed. Peas
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

The entry is for the aircraft, not the pilot. Since David Rose didn't send in an entry for "Renegade", it can't be raced in Reno 04.

Comment

Can't David enter Renegade the week of the race for a few extra dollars?

Comment

The cutoff for the entries this year was July 16. The only way an entry can be accepted after that time was if the unlimited field wasn't full. But it was, so, if you're late sending your entry in - tough luck.

Comment

Look at all the interest in my little racer - Cliff Magee told me to look this up as there were some questions about Renegade and just what were we doing here. I appreciate the interest so will take a minute to tell the story.

We finished "The Mach Buster" last summer and set out to do the test program. As you know I bought the project from Montagne who had built a lot of it with Skip Holm. ( Although, Bill never once mentioned that Skip was so involved with it - I found that out just a year or so ago from Randy Haskel ). We knew all along that the for and aft fuselage sections were very lightly built and we added glass wraps and AU beams to reinforce them - but with the bird ready to fly last summer we taxied it and found right away that the 1200+ hp engine just overwhelmed the airframe. The fuselage twisted under torque enough to unlock its own canopy. The front twisted left and the rear twisted right and vise versa - plus sitting high on the gear aggravated the problem to the point that it was a problem to taxi - let alone take it off.

Not that it's a bad design or anything, and the level of workmanship in the fuselage is very high, its just not heavy and stiff enough for so much engine. It would be a fabulous bird with even a little jet in the tail. (anyone wan'a buy a great frame for a single engine two seat jet ? )It wouldn't take much to do it at all - )

I stepped out of it that day and decided to design my own unlimited racer - and got started on it late in Sept. 03. It was to be as SIMPLE as possible ( after the complexity of the Mach Buster ) and able to crash land at 300mph - like the top fuel dragsters do - so the first tubing formed was an NHRA top fuel cage and front diverter section.

We cut metal late in Nov.03 and by the pylon seminar date in June had the bird aaaaaaalmost ready------to fly. We took it to Reno and the unlimited and RARA boys liked it - and really left the door open for its entry this year - but they made it clear that they would prefer to have us fly it, take it to the PRS in June 05, demonstrate it on the race course, and enter in Sept 05.

I knew we had time to finish it, fly it and take it up - but would they let us race it ? I think so - but all in all it would be better to spend a whole year flying, testing, getting comfortable in, painting it etc. etc.. I KNOW RARA and the unlimited folks will be happier this way and reluctantly I admit its best. I'm just so hot to race it I can't wait.

The concern expressed was that it's so small the big Sea Fury's, Bearcats and Mustangs will come flying up on it and not see it - I told them I have four flashing strobes lights on it - which they liked ( but didn't mention that I have no plans for anyone coming up on it from behind ! )

It's a fast bird in the simulator - I hope it's able to eventually run with the best of them - but we'll see. If I have a chance to even attempt to qualify my own designed and built unlimited racer, it will be enough. If it proves to be fast, fun AND competitive - all the better.

But I sure thank you for your interest - you kit plane racers may be interested in knowing that if this thing flies as well as predicted, and I can find 8 fools that want one, I’ll be offering a two seat carbon kit version that CRUISES at 400mph with a Chevy crate motor that you buy from GM for $12,000. The kit bird (modestly called a Mach Buster ) will have a range of 1500 miles at 400mph - - we get 150 gallons in it and it burns 30gph at 400 true.

See you in Reno - Ask me for a brochure on The Mach Buster

David Rose

one question - are you having as much fun as I am ?

Comment

Look at all the interest in my little racer - Cliff Magee told me to look this up as there were some questions about Renegade and just what were we doing here. I appreciate the interest so will take a minute to tell the story.

We finished "The Mach Buster" last summer and set out to do the test program. As you know I bought the project from Montagne who had built a lot of it with Skip Holm. ( Although, Bill never once mentioned that Skip was so involved with it - I found that out just a year or so ago from Randy Haskel ). We knew all along that the for and aft fuselage sections were very lightly built and we added glass wraps and AU beams to reinforce them - but with the bird ready to fly last summer we taxied it and found right away that the 1200+ hp engine just overwhelmed the airframe. The fuselage twisted under torque enough to unlock its own canopy. The front twisted left and the rear twisted right and vise versa - plus sitting high on the gear aggravated the problem to the point that it was a problem to taxi - let alone take it off.

Not that it's a bad design or anything, and the level of workmanship in the fuselage is very high, its just not heavy and stiff enough for so much engine. It would be a fabulous bird with even a little jet in the tail. (anyone wan'a buy a great frame for a single engine two seat jet ? )It wouldn't take much to do it at all - )

I stepped out of it that day and decided to design my own unlimited racer - and got started on it late in Sept. 03. It was to be as SIMPLE as possible ( after the complexity of the Mach Buster ) and able to crash land at 300mph - like the top fuel dragsters do - so the first tubing formed was an NHRA top fuel cage and front diverter section.

We cut metal late in Nov.03 and by the pylon seminar date in June had the bird aaaaaaalmost ready------to fly. We took it to Reno and the unlimited and RARA boys liked it - and really left the door open for its entry this year - but they made it clear that they would prefer to have us fly it, take it to the PRS in June 05, demonstrate it on the race course, and enter in Sept 05.

I knew we had time to finish it, fly it and take it up - but would they let us race it ? I think so - but all in all it would be better to spend a whole year flying, testing, getting comfortable in, painting it etc. etc.. I KNOW RARA and the unlimited folks will be happier this way and reluctantly I admit its best. I'm just so hot to race it I can't wait.

The concern expressed was that it's so small the big Sea Fury's, Bearcats and Mustangs will come flying up on it and not see it - I told them I have four flashing strobes lights on it - which they liked ( but didn't mention that I have no plans for anyone coming up on it from behind ! )

It's a fast bird in the simulator - I hope it's able to eventually able to run with the best of them - but we'll see. If I have a chance to even attempt to qualify my own designed and built unlimited racer, it will be enough. If it proves to be fast, fun AND competitive - all the better.

But I sure thank you for your interest - you kit plane racers may be interested in knowing that if this thing flies as well as predicted, and I can find 8 fools that want one, I’ll be offering a two seat carbon kit version that CRUISES at 350mph with a Chevy crate motor that you buy from GM for $12,000. The kit bird (modestly called a Mach Buster ) will have a range of at least 1500 miles at 350mph - - we get 150 gallons in it and it burns less than 30gph at 350 true.

See you in Reno - Ask me for a brochure on The Mach Buster

David Rose

one question - are you having as much fun as I am ?

Comment

Thanks for the update Mr. Rose, I will be in Reno next week as well, I look forward to hearing more about Renegade and watching you race Rags as well, Good Luck!
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X