NXT having cooling problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT having cooling problems

I understand that Nemesis NXT didn't make Oshkosh because of engine cooling problems.

Does anyone know anything about that and the possible affect on Reno?

Re: NXT having cooling problems

Reference my earlier post about the resemblence to the Pond Racer? Hmmm???? Cooling problems were very much a problem with that beautiful aircraft. I know there were other issues with the motors, but did they mess up with the cowl design on NXT? Like I mentioned before, NXT sure does look familiar from the side.
    Bill
    Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

With the Pond Racer vs. Nemesis, it's similar problems, different issues, i.e., water vs. air cooling. Nemesis appears to have plenty of inlet area, but the current photos demonstrate a paucity of outlet area.

Their cowl has to dump cylinder, oil cooler, intercooler and turbo waste heat through what appears to be two small openings with the exhaust.

Remember Sept. Fury in 2002? They had to open up the cowl aft to let more cooling air exit, once they started running it hard.

Hello Pete Law!

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

They may indeed be having cooling problems, but with the talent on this team and the years of experience in squeezing every ounce out of the first Nemesis, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's not because they're dumping the cooling air out of those little holes.

Comment

My reliable reporter says the oil temp is the only heating problem.
          Chris...

Comment

Hello All you race fans. The NXT did not go to Oshkosh. The pilot (yours truely), and his wife (Patricia) did not want to take the plane on a 2000 mile test hop. In addition, we had not flown off the required hours by departure time. We did go there via airelines, Uck, to honor our commitments. Oshkosh is Disneyland for airplanes. We had a great time meet lots of great people, sold a couple of kits. By the way the plane is AWESOME! It flies outstanding! It lands easier than any plane I've flown, WOW! You push in the throttle on the monster Lycoming, and it absolutely sets you in the seat! Waaaaaay Cool! Speaking of cool, all is cool...See you in Reno!
            Cheers,
            Jon and Patricia

Comment

Cool,
              Thanks for the report.
              Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Sharp
                Waaaaaay Cool! Speaking of cool, all is cool...See you in Reno!
                Cheers,
                Jon and Patricia
                To tell you the truth Jon, I am happy that we get this straight from the guy in the seat. It really is good to hear and I for one am anxious to see and hear that beauty in person. Good luck and happy leads to you, er, well, that was going to be a joke, but never mind. Looking forward to being there soon.
                Bill Clark, aka: Air Race Addict
                Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Sharp
                  Hello All you race fans. The NXT did not go to Oshkosh. The pilot (yours truely), and his wife (Patricia) did not want to take the plane on a 2000 mile test hop.
                  It is a pleasure to hear from you, Jon. Please keep us informed when the feeling moves you.
                  Living on your every post. Best of luck!

Ryan, hopeless race junkie

Comment

Working...
                  X