Thunder Over Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder Over Michigan

My brother and I went yesterday. It was quite an adventure and a great show. 12 Avengers! I came away with a bad case of camera envy. Perhaps some of the other guys will post some. Here's a taste: B-17 taxiing out with 3 P-47s recovering for landing. Oh yeah! Peas
    Attached Files
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Re: Thunder Over Michigan

Here are a few more:
    1) The Yankee B-17 hopped rides ALL day.
    2) The Bush TBM.
    3) Both Roush Mustangs were there. Stars of the "Contrials" article in EAA Warbirds.

Dale Snodgrass flew an acro show in the Mustang Excalibur. He is amazing. Close-in, precise and the hands-down crowd favorite of the day. Peas
    Attached Files
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

More Thunder

3 P-47's were there also, along with Sandy Thompson Sea Fury
      Attached Files
      One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

Was or is this Lud Curao's (sp?) Skyraider? Great spot, facing the gate.
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

I agree, it was the first thing everyone saw coming thru the gate. Not sure of the owner, maybe the N number will help. It was absolutly gorgeous though. I found myself wondering how many hours this one had on the resto. Couldn't have been to many.

bearfan1
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a Danny Summers.

Comment

Sandy Thompson's Sea Fury

Was very suprised to walk up on this Sea Fury, evidently it makes a few more shows then I thought. Granted, it ain't pretty, but I personally think it has a ton of character, not the flash and shine you normally see, but to me, a lot of character. Thanks for bringing it Sandy !

bearfan1
              Attached Files

Comment

Just a few more

Sandy is the man in green in the previous pics, the other man is associated with the Spirit of Texas. He was wearing a Ezell Aviation shirt which immediatly caught my attention. Go figure ! He had a few interesting things to say about the panel left off Spirit of Texas last year at Reno.

bearfan1
                Attached Files

Comment

Bearfan1, I rememberthis one at Sun 'N Fun in the early 90's. I think it had a blue/grey cammo paint job. Peas
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Originally posted by bearfan1
                    Formerly owned by Lud Corrao. Saw it in an old Air Classics yesterday. Think it's in the Reno issue from '98. Peas
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                      I think it had a blue/grey cammo paint job. Peas
                      The Hawker Fury registry follows the history of all Furys and Sea Furys that survived military service.

If you go to the bottom of the page there's a photo of it in the blue/grey paint.
                      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
                        http://www.warbirdregistry.org/furyr...ury-n58sf.html

If you go to the bottom of the page there's a photo of it in the blue/grey paint.
                        Victor: I think that's actually a Hawker Tempest -- one of the very few remaining. Check out the larger gear doors, the flatter fuse profile going into the canopy (RAF, not RNAF variant), and finally, the clocking of the prop. Might even be Kermit Weeks'.

See:http://www.warbirdregistry.org/tempe...est-la607.html
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Here are a couple of my brother's photos. He shot film using a Nikon body with a Nikkor 70-210 lens. I'm scanning on a very basic table scanner, so pardon the unretouched image quality. I haven't done him justice. More to come as I get to them.

For variety of aircraft flown, with excellent close-in exposure, this is one of the neatest displays I've been to. Duxford, some day -- I'm hoping soon! The Jugs were awesome! Peas
                          Attached Files
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

More of my brother's shots. The Helldiver and Jug formation shots are heavily cropped, and I couldn't keep the trees in the Mustang shot to give you a sense for how low Snodgrass flew his show. Again, it was a real treat. At high speed and high angle-of-attack, the cooling inlet really whistles. From the whistle to the V-12 song and the prop harmonics, it's a symphony of sound. Even the ladies were impressed! The SBD and Helldiver did what dive bombers do, they dove into their passes, although not with dive brakes deployed. Peas
                            Attached Files
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                              Victor: I think that's actually a Hawker Tempest
                              After looking at it again your right warbirdregistry has the photo on the wrong page.
                              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                              X