No announcement yet.

A new class to replace the Unlimiteds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new class to replace the Unlimiteds?

As someone mentioned, the Unlimited air races are slowly dying out due to old airframes, lack of engines, and money. I just thought that maybe Reno could start a new class like, the Turboprop class. It would be great fun, and high speeds, and there is quite of an aboundance of turboprop engines. It WOULD NOT be as much fun and exciting as the Unlimiteds. Read that last sentence again those of you who feel like taking me apart. This was just something that I thought of. It could never replace the excitement of the Unlimiteds. Hope no one is offended.

Just a thought,
    Jarrod

Re: A new class to replace the Unlimiteds?

Originally posted by jarrodeu
    As someone mentioned, the Unlimited air races are slowly dying out due to old airframes, lack of engines, and money. I just thought that maybe Reno could start a new class like, the Turboprop class. It would be great fun, and high speeds, and there is quite of an aboundance of turboprop engines. It WOULD NOT be as much fun and exciting as the Unlimiteds. Read that last sentence again those of you who feel like taking me apart. This was just something that I thought of. It could never replace the excitement of the Unlimiteds. Hope no one is offended.

Just a thought,
    Jarrod
    Jarrod... despite a lot of "gloomy" talk from year to year, the Unlimited division is far from dead. This *may* be a slow year for some teams but I can assure you, it will be FAR from boring come Sunday at Reno... Actually, the "less than boring" stuff will begin on Sunday prior to race week when everyone goes up for a lap or two to burn off the last of the "regular" gas and get into the good stuff..

Then on Monday, the real fun of Reno begins.. Time trials.. Unfortunately... this year, I will absolutely NOT be able to attend during that time.. HOPEFULLY, Sat and Sun of race week will see my skulking figure lurking about here and there...

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I don't doubt that it will be exciting but I just wish there were more planes.

Comment

Wayno, what ya doing that week to miss the time trials. Those of us stuck on the east coast will hope for some current news and awesome pix that week...no matter how rough the pixes might be due to speed of loading up here.
        Randy Rheinschild
        www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwflyboy
          Wayno, what ya doing that week to miss the time trials. Those of us stuck on the east coast will hope for some current news and awesome pix that week...no matter how rough the pixes might be due to speed of loading up here.
          Arrr RhinoJr... Read the "quitting smoking" thread down in the "grafitti" section.. I've not been making a huge deal out of it, because, in reality, it's not that big a deal... at least in the grand scheme of things...

Short story is, my treatment plan was to have started on 26 July with last zap on 10 September.. It's gotten moved out by a few days, so, the best I'll be able to do is fly in on Friday and out on Sunday so's to be able to ensure that I get the zaps on schedule... I'm gonna be a mess tho, so, while I'm gonna buy the tickets and reserve the room, I'm not at all sure I'm gonna be able to make it at all bud.. I'm bout to cry bout that too! I've only missed a few "Reno's" since '79, and none since '97..

But.. this is pretty important stuff so... Guess I'll have to do whatever I can and be happy with that!

Wayner
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
            I just thought that maybe Reno could start a new class like, the Turboprop class. It would be great fun, and high speeds, and there is quite of an aboundance of turboprop engines. It WOULD NOT be as much fun and exciting as the Unlimiteds.
            You know, I've got a share of experience 'racing' turbine engines, and while they are very reliable (because of the lack of moving parts to 'break'), when you overboost them, man, it can get REALLY ugly.

But my thought does go to the PA-48 Enforcer....a 'quasi-Mustang' with a Lycombing T-55 parked up front. Even with all the crap hanging off of it, and 3000 lbs of armor plating, (to quote something 'Hacker' stumbled upon) "It would have kicked the crap out of a 1945 P-51D!"

Comment

I would love to see a Turboprop class but as an add in and NOT a replacement.

Wayne, Hey didn't read all that "quitting smoking" thread until now.
              The very best of luck with everything, my family will say a prayer for ya.
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I don't know much about turbine engines. What happens when you push it too far?
                Jarrod

Comment

....kinda like Three Mile Island.....

...........melt-down.....

.....but,with the "all Parts warranty",....
                  ....ya gat 'ta keep all the parts...
                  Mayday51
                  Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
                    I would love to see a Turboprop class but as an add in and NOT a replacement.

Wayne, Hey didn't read all that "quitting smoking" thread until now.
                    The very best of luck with everything, my family will say a prayer for ya.
                    A TP class could be fun... Monty Yancey (Bob's son) even said that he might find time to bring something to Reno if there was a TP division... but yea, I agree, only as an add too, not a replacement... (cept, maybe, da jets... )

And thanks, prayers are a good thing and the more the merrier is what I always say!!

Thanks! Thanks, really, to everyone, for the help you're all giving keeping this place alive and even growing it.

For some reason, there's a few folks out there who seem to like to take a pot shot at me from time to time (not necessairly here on this board) but I gotta tell you guys... when I'm here, I feel the love and I can't wait to get down to Reno again, HEALTHY and tip a few whit'cha's all.... I'm really gonna miss Randy Goss and the guys at the Wednesday "let it all hang out baby" party at the Warlock pit!

Probably more than just about anything at Reno, that is a favorite time!!!

Wayner
                    PS... nuttin starts, cept the addition of a couple of "appatures" to enable the docs to do their thing until 02 August, so don't go feelin sorry for me just yet! I'm a bit distracted by it all but... hangin just fine for now and... I'll drink to that!!! (as long as I can, by gar, I will!! )
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
                      Good luck with the "quit smoking thing". Would love to
                      give you some advice however I only quit once and that was 15
                      years ago!
                      We are pulling for you.
                      Don McDonald

Comment

I mentioned (a bunch of years ago) to a RARA dude that I thought a Vari-eze class would work, and maybe a homebuilt class. I layed out all of my plans for what I thought the field should have. I know that I couldn't have influenced the decision to form the sport class all that much, but I still think that I was one of the ones that might have planted a seed. (Come on, help me feed my fragile ego!) So, if everyone pushes, it might happen in a couple years. After all, we're all there to see the racing.

Wayners, after I read "quitting smoking" and knowing the cat is out of the perverbial bag, I'll make you a deal. I have a nasty habit of chewing tobacco (which Goss can attest to). You said you wanted to keep even one person from smoking. The deal is, I'll quit chewing from the time you get to reno. That means if you get there on Friday and contact me, I'll stop from that point. Don't miss any treatments that you need (That will keep me in tobacco bliss during the Warlock party!) but as soon as you get in Reno (let me know if you need a ride anywhere) and contact me, I'll take my last chew. You can get me to quit. I consider you a friend who knows what I'd have to go through if I didn't quit, and you can succeed where my Wife, Mom, and Brother have failed. You have my e-mail address if you want to contact me about this challenge.

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                          Wayners, after I read "quitting smoking" and knowing the cat is out of the perverbial bag, I'll make you a deal. I have a nasty habit of chewing tobacco (which Goss can attest to). You said you wanted to keep even one person from smoking. The deal is, I'll quit chewing from the time you get to reno. That means if you get there on Friday and contact me, I'll stop from that point. Don't miss any treatments that you need (That will keep me in tobacco bliss during the Warlock party!) but as soon as you get in Reno (let me know if you need a ride anywhere) and contact me, I'll take my last chew. You can get me to quit. I consider you a friend who knows what I'd have to go through if I didn't quit, and you can succeed where my Wife, Mom, and Brother have failed. You have my e-mail address if you want to contact me about this challenge.

Race 29
                          Hey TwoNiner... you're on! I was just on the phone with Dialtapper last night and he's quitting that habit also! Told him about the gum, which would be, in my mind, a real easy way for a chewer to quit the baccey....

Man do I feel like a poster boy or what

I'll look all you guys up on Saturday, which will be the first day I can make it.. I'll look pretty crappy and maybe feel worse than I look but.. If I don't find you, look for me at the Rare Bear camp. I'll be the bald pale sickly lookin guy with sun screen all over his body Likely a big bush hat also... bigger sunglasses... hell, I'll probably look like a movie star..

BTW... speakin of movie stars, I particularly liked the fact that Treat Williams was unshaven, and dumpy just like the rest of the smelly old pile it doods! I hear he's a pretty darn good stick and that came from a really critical judge.. look for him to be back!

Wayner
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                            Wayners, I'll take my last chew. You can get me to quit. I consider you a friend who knows what I'd have to go through if I didn't quit, and you can succeed where my Wife, Mom, and Brother have failed.
                            Race 29
                            Race 29: If you want immediate motivation, do a Google image search for mouth or lip carcinoma. Then go out and buy yourself a big supply of Big League Chew bubble gum. Stop by the Cincy Guys box at Reno '04 and show me your biggest bubble! Peas
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I don't think we have seen the last of the Unlimiteds.
                              They will be hear for a while i think.

Comment

Working...
                              X