New unlimted composite airacer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New unlimted composite airacer.

New very and i hope very fast unlimted airacer.

AGS in association with Murdo Cameron has agreed to sponsor the a "P-
    51" in pylon air racing at the National Championship Air Races in Reno, NV; and on a world speed record attempt. The aircraft will be equipped with an Allison V12 1710 piston engine and we are currently seeking additional Allison engines and parts for this project. The aircraft is a full-scale 2-place P51 weighing only 4,000#!

The aircraft was built entirely of composite materials, and has approximately 70 hours of flight time with a T-53 Lycoming turboprop engine.

Click on the image to enlarge-Opens in new window

Additional sponsors are invited to inquire. Contact Danny Mortensen at 859.384.7821.
    For more info, visit www.cameronaircraft.com

Danny Mortensen raced at Reno for 14 years and held several world speed records in the AMSOIL Rutan Racer, another composite aircraft which now hangs on display in the Reno Hilton. Danny won the Gold in Reno in 1990 and one of his aircraft, a Mong, won the following year after his retirement from flying the pylons. In 1999, two of his former aircraft, both Mongs, won first and second in Reno in Biplane Class.

You're correct Michael, the engine of choice to replace the turboprop, from what I understand, is basically an Allison V-1710-119 which was used to power the later P-82's. The new-built P51- Grand's manufacturer included a picture on their website http://www.cameronaircraft.com/images/P51g1.jpg of what he invisioned a race version powered by an Allison or Merlin engine.

Looking at the photos of Mr. Mortensen's Mustang it appears that he opted for the clipped wing version of the kit. The wing on the Grand is not a direct copy of a P-51 wing. It incorporates the leading edge of a P51D wing and the root extension of an H model. The wing is thinner and of slightly greater chord however.

I remember a comment that Chuck Yeager had made in his autobiography that said that the B and C model Mustangs were more manueverable and the D model lost some of that b/c of the change to accomodate the additional .50 Caliber guns. The D model also included a new leading edge if memory serves. I know the H model had a different wing for speed and range, but I'm not sure if the airfoil on the D model was totally new or not. Other changes like moving the wing position and adding the root extension were made over the years.

The wing and fuselage of the Grand are made in whole pieces instead of the conventional spar and sheet metal methods. I'm confident that this along with the fuselage would produce a lower drag coefficient in a race version. I hope that we get to see what it's able to do in the not-to-distant future.

Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree the engine would be a hard one to find. I believe the reasoning is that this marked the culmination of technological accomplishments for the Allison engine. At 2,200hp in the stock form and as much 4,000hp seen from those same engines engines in Unlimited Hydroplane Racing it is definately an engine combination that could turn some heads! I imagine that Mr. Mortensen most likely will have a combonation of different Allison engine models much like we see on R-3350's that are race prepped. Again engine power is afterall only limited by Murphy's Law and with so many parts sooner or later something will go wrong.

I've been in contact with Mr. Mortensen though and he is allowing me to interview him about the Amsoil Rutan Racer and I'll be writing up an article about the plane and the pilot. As you can imagine as the President of a company he's a busy man so getting everything together may take a little while, but he seems excited to help me out. I'll also try to include an update on the P-51 Grand project!

More to come.......

New airracer

Tech specs
    Last edited by MerlinV12; 07-10-2004, 08:20 AM. Reason: new info

Re: New unlimted composite airacer.

When will it be ready?

Comment

Re: New unlimted composite airacer.

Originally posted by jarrodeu
      When will it be ready?

Depends on whether Joe Yancy shafts them on the Allison that (I guess) he's building.

Maybe in the meantime, Yancy can give back the Turbo-allison plenum's that he *took* a few years ago from the Hydroplane Museum.

Comment

Working...
      X