Conquest 1 history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conquest 1 history

Many of you have probably seen this, but I found this while Googling Mr. Greenamyer's name.

"On best run, Greenamyer indicating about 510 mph, turning 3000 rpm, and pulling 75 inchses with nitromethane injection."

Unlimiteds on nitro, WOW

"Gear made to retract very rapidly--less than 5 seconds--because thought Unlimited races might use race-car start, but proved not to be the case."

Car race start for Unlimiteds, that would be interesting to say the least.

Re: Conquest 1 history

Can you imagine the looks on his face when doing 510 mph pressing hard on the stick and plane trembling like a runaway train and conrods about to blow at any minute ?
    Kinda like Humbrey Bogart on African Queen operating that steamengine.

Well I dunno know maybe he just felt just like the first jetpilots: " Like angel's pushing ? "
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Conquest 1 history

"Greenamyer strapped icepack to his chest on which to cool his hands while flying. Cockpit had never been a hospitable place to start with; ram effect alone raised temperature of 100 desert air to 140 as it entered cockpit, and air was also full of fumes which unaccountably found their way into cockpit from oil- cooler boiler. Greenamyer breathed through oxygen mask while flying the airplane."

Wow, it does sound like a movie. Pretty incredible. What I especially like is that he is still active and racing.

Comment

Working...
      X