Couple of Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Questions

1st: I'm curious why the cockpit is set so far back on Critical Mass. That is one beautiful airplane. Sorry that it sounds like it won't be at Reno this year.
    2nd: Concerning the props on Rare Bear. Why are they switching from the 3 blade to the 4 blade. It was my understanding that years back when they went to the 3 blade it was more efficient then the 4 blades.
    Thanks

Re: Couple of Questions

I think the seat on CM is in the same position as the back seat on a stocker if I remember right. The front of the stock cockpit is covered. I'm sure it is for aero reasons, maybe CG reasons, and gives more room for equipment etc. Not to mention it looks awesome.

Comment

well, when i was still with the bear crew the theory was then that at high speed the three blader is actually more efficient but the vibration caused by three bladed prop is rather extreme and the gyroscopic effect made it really hard to turn the airplane (which if you think about it is kind of strange because just by looking at it it seems like the fourblader has more area than the three blader). that was the theory then, not sure if it is the same now. any input Mr. Penney?
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

When Critical Mass was originally developed as "Blind Man's Bluff" in the mid-80's, they took a TMK-20 Sea Fury and (as Matt said) covered over the front hole. Part of it was for looks, but I'm sure it also had to do with weight and balance, since the original intent was to run the plane on alcohol instead of avgas. Faster burn rate? Perhaps there was a fuel tank installed where the front seat was, over the c.g.?

I wonder what ever happened to Sheila O'Grady.....

Comment

Excuse me Speeddemon who is Sheila O'Grady ?

Juke
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

The three blade prop on the Bear actually weighs several hundred pounds more than the four blade..hence the more pronounced gyroscopic effect.

Comment

Shiela O'Grady was a female Air Force T-38 instructor pilot at Williams AFB during the mid-80's. She was tagged to be the original pilot for "Blind Man's Bluff"...but the Air Force, for some reason, frowned upon the idea, and wouldn't let her do it.

JoAnn Osterud was tapped as a 'somewhat' last-minute replacement. Even though JoAnn had done some time the previous year in Miss America, she was constantly behind the power curve, and she was benched in favor of Skip during race week at Reno that year.

But I don't ever remember much of a follow-up on what Shiela O'Grady did after the 'false start'.

Comment

SD,

We have one female pilot in the AF and another in reserve. I know the latter well ( daddy was also army personnel ). Just only talked to Inka the F-18 pilot. She is a superb athlete...a "beast" in the swimming pool.

I also like to know what ever happened to Sheila ?

Juke
                http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

lol, as much as i would like to take credit for race5's post, because he's absolutely right, i can't speeddemon
                  heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Larry Burton, the Chief Wrench on Blind Man's Bluff, is in bad condition with complications from his medications. They took him to hospital and got that straightened out but his home is in a hospice. We can all help him in our prayers.

Len Ashburn, Indy
                    Len_Ashburn@Prodigy.Net

Comment

sorry to hear that len, he will be in mine dude...
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Working...
                      X