Rare Bear flew today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear flew today

there was a beautiful sight over stead this morning. just before 8am the bear took to the air. the flight lasted just over an hour. the bear looked and sounded great. will advise as the flight testing continues.

Elliott
    STRESS

Re: Rare Bear flew today

Any word on plans to take her up again, say tomorrow morning.....I would love a little Bear fix during all these thunderstorms we're having.

Comment

WooHoo!!..Carb problem all fixed? Can't wait till Sept!!!

Comment

Come on man, more updates! Looking forward to Sept. and seeing the Bear kick some in line butt.

Jay

Comment

We are planning another flight or two this week, but not sure of the day or time yet. I will try to keep everyone updated on the progress.

Elliott
          STRESS

Comment

When you say we I assume you are a member of the team.

Comment

I know I am delving into some top secret stuff...but...are yall happy with the way the 4 blader is performing?

Comment

Eric,
                I see you're from Travis AFB and I heard the air show is supposed to be in September this year right before the air races. Any plans for any air racers to show up?

Race 29
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

For all the interested "Bear" fans, thanks for watching for and tracking the progress of the "Bear".

For the last several months, this crew, who are as dedicated as any crew I've had the pleasure of working for, has been wrestling with gremlins forward of the firewall that at times has had us completely exasperated. We have been trying to sort out problems during ground runs that at times pointed straight to the carb, and at others made us focus entirely on the ignition system. The details are lengthy, but we seemingly were actually were experiencing problems in both areas. So with the generosity of Tommy and Kenny Dwelle (carb), and the great help of Savage Magneto, the engine is now running the way we want it to. The first test flight since November and four cylinder changes went smoothly.

Everyone wants to know why the four blade prop. Obviously, we we are always looking for improvements that will allow our team to win. We simply want to do some dedicated, comparitive flight testing to see if the four blade may work better on the race course (kind of a no-brainer answer, huh?). We will make a decision when we get the data we're looking for. I will share with you that the four blade is one heck of a lot more "pilot friendly". The difference in prop blade airflow impulses into the airframe and smoothness going from the three blade to the four blade is akin to switching from propellor to turbine power! I can now read the gauges on the instrument panel...

We have a long way to go before we will make the choice on which prop for Reno, and a short time to collect the data. The intersection of runways 8/26 and 14/32 will be closed on July 20th for repaving (forcast to be open in time for Reno). The runway will be too short during the closure for our flight testing.

We'll keep you all advised of our progress.

John Penney, team member
                  "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team

Comment

Travis is having an "Air Tattoo" I believe in Aug. I got the email at work and I will post the exact dates. Last years wasnt to bad with the Doolittle Raiders Reunion. Thanks Mr Penney for the info on what the Bear's progress! I didn't even think of the type of probs in the cockpit with the huge 3 blader. I guess it's a good thing you can actullay read instruments with the 4 blader. Happy to hear about the fixes to the carb and ignition system. I wish I could help but I am just a AGE mechanic. I know of system knowledge theory but never touched and Aircraft system. Keep up the great work and see ya guys in Sept! Also, if anyone lives near Travis and want's a lil tour on a C-5 or KC-10 I can oblige.

Comment

Up again on Monday evening!
                      Sure sounded sweet.
                      Goooooo Bear!

Leo
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Nice!

Comment

As previously posted the bear did fly on monday, John left the local area to gather some data on the prop every thing was going well untill john started his climb to head back to stead. during his climb he noticed the main oil pressure falling off, so john made a precautionary landing at amedee AAF just north of herlong CA. On tuesday myself and 3 other crew members made the drive to amedee. first we had to figure out if any damage was done to the motor, then find out why the oil pressure fell off. the inspection of the motor showed that no internal damage had occured, so we ran the bear to see if we could find the problem. During the run it was discovered that an oil line had cracked and was leaking. the line was replaced and the aircarft was rerun to confirm the fix. after all was confirmed to be good John returned to Amedee and flew the bear back to stead late tuesday evening. After getting the plane back to stead the engine was again inspected and is in greatshape. We would like to fly her again this week. As I said I will try to keep everyone updated on the bears status, Im sorry this was so late but as you can see I have been very busy.

Elliott
                          STRESS

Comment

Whoa. It is good to know the motor is still good and all it was a faulty oil line. Good situational awareness on behalf of Mr. Penney on observing the oil leak quickly enough to get her down as soon as possible. Keep up the great work!

Comment

You Gotta Love it!

I really have to take my hat off to the spirit of the Rare Bear team. They give so much to make the Bear a performer.

Thanks!

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X