The Critical Mass Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Critical Mass Story

I heard that the Critical mass team was done and someone said that they wern't. Anyone know the story on that?
    Jarrod

Re: The Critical Mass Story

Critical Mass is ready to race.
    Unfortunately, it's pilot has retired from unlimited racing.
    It could be back with one of his sons flying, or could be traded to someone else who feels the urge to go really fast and look really cool doing it. You won't see it at Reno 04, but anything is possible after that.

Sue

Comment

Tom Dwelle retired from air racing around the first of the year. He has been racing both in the Unlimted and T-6 class for 16 years (I believe) and decided it was time to step down. He has been a great competitor and has had his share of success. I have it on good authority Critical Mass is up for sale or trade. Now whether they actually part with the racer or Tom hands over the baton to his sons remains to be seen. Currently Ken and TJ are campaigning the T-6 Kitchen Pass and already they have had some impressive success out of the shoot. Only time will tell what actually happens to Critical Mass. Since Critical Mass has been extensively modified the aircraft would probably be most attractive to someone who is willing to go racing now. We will see.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
        I have it on good authority Critical Mass is up for sale or trade
        Really??

I've heard different and, can't get a straight answer out of Tom when I ask him. I'm not sure that I buy into a decision being made either way at this time..

I sincerely hope you are wrong! That's a great racing family down there and I'd love to see them keep CM in that family...

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Quote:
          Originally Posted by paintboy
          I have it on good authority Critical Mass is up for sale or trade

Your 'Good authority' and 33 cents will buy you a postage stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Your 'Good authority' and 33 cents will buy you a postage stamp.
            Wow, hey Wayne....your opinion doubled in value. Mine's still only .02 cents worth. Oh well. We can't all win, right?

Larry the Cucumber

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              Wow, hey Wayne....your opinion doubled in value. Mine's still only .02 cents worth. Oh well. We can't all win, right?

Larry the Cucumber
              Yea, mebbie but, Unregged in this case is a lot closer to the "source" than any of us so, I'll go with "his" take on it...

Which is closer to what I've heard and further from "on good authority"...

Truly, I don't think they have made a decision either way but.. selling the bird would not really surprise me.. disappoint, you bet! But not surprise..

Wayner
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well, lets see. About a month ago I sat down with Michael Brown and Dennis Sanders. Michael brought up the topic of Critical Mass. Dennis stated the racer was up for sale or offered for trade. I was surprised since Ken Dwelle had told me months earlier absolutely NO DECISION had been made on the racer and would not be made any time soon. Now since he had lunch with Tom Dwelle the day before the statement was made I going to believe the Dennis. But, since you all have the pulse of the Dwelle family at your finger tips perhaps someone could enlighten us poor ignorant fans. I wonder why it is when information is posted on this site and the masses find the info hard to believe they turn on the individual posting. I'll tell you what, perhaps someone should drive their happy ass out to Auburn, CA and ask Tom just what he plans to do!!!!!!!

Dave

Comment

I talked with Tom & Peggy at the end of January, I know a lto can happen in 6 months but, Tom told me that the plane was available for trade and that they wanted a 2 seat warbird that they could fly to shows and enjoy. Selling it apparently wasn't an option as they had been depreciating it all these years and would take a big hit on taxes if it was sold.

Derrek

Comment

....aw guys (sic)....

.....let the pot simmer a while....

I'm sure with the right amount of cash, Tom would sell....

......Paul Allen,
                    can I have an advance ?
                    Mayday51
                    Jim Gallagher

Comment

No decisions have been made at this time. The airplane is not for sale. Interesting trades will be considered. Tom is done racing. We ran CM up in early May and pulled the prop off for the Bear guys to come and pick up the next week. Except for a prop, it is ready to race. CM is VERY manpower intensive. Most of the crew either retired or got furloughed from cushy airline jobs last year. Working a 9-5 job leaves little time for playing at the airport. TJ and I will alternate with the T-6 in the mean time, it asks for nothing but gas and we are having a great time flying it most weekends.

Ken Dwelle

Comment

thanks for the inside scoop
                        will miss CM this year, enjoyed meeting you last year, would like to see you take CM up in the future

Comment

Working...
                        X