Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess

I keep hearing the term chess and I guess Im just out in the dark a little. How big of a role does the chess game make? I can sure see it happening but when the race starts its all pilot and plane, isnt it?

Re: Chess

Originally posted by MattB
    I keep hearing the term chess and I guess Im just out in the dark a little. How big of a role does the chess game make? I can sure see it happening but when the race starts its all pilot and plane, isnt it?
    I don't know if the actual outcome of the races is affected by the "chess" but it is a big factor in the pits during the week.

I think a lot of the racing is a mental exercise and the stuff that goes on in the pits probably does play a part in that. For instance, if a team plays it right, they could get another team to try harder than they should early, thereby damaging the airplane, perhaps imperceptably, so that on Sunday... the race ends early for the competitor.

Dunno of the true effect but it's damn sure a ton of fun! Especially when the guys "lie" to you to help spread the goo.. <g>

Or when a team does something like putting on the "act" of being all smiles... like they're on to something.. It's just a ball to be there during that time. Because.. you don't know what's going on, it's like a mystery... who's got what? You think you sort of know but in reality, you know squat. All part of the "Reno" experience in my opinion. Perhaps the best part.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It puts a cool twist on the races. I guess it happens all year too. We keep seeing hints and "info leaks" from teams about this or that. It makes it all the more exciting. Keep bringing on the chess.

Comment

It puts a cool twist on the races. I guess it happens all year too. We keep seeing hints and "info leaks" from teams about this or that. It makes it all the more exciting. Keep bringing on the chess.
        Oh yea!!.. we're about to get to the "out on a limb" stage.. It's been pretty quiet this year, there has been some "stuff" going on but nothing truly earthshaking like new airplanes and such.... that is, in Unlimited.. now sport class.. that's another story and god only knows what we'll see there this year!

The suspense builds!

Wayne
        PS.. we could see some new T-6 entries this year... and some IF1... and and... Bear.. you about ready to get out on that limb?? Did Mikey get the AAFO limb saw sharpened up ???
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Ciuchetton

Originally posted by AAFO_DABEAR
          That's "chess" for the racers...psyching your opponent out.
          Yea!! Tht's it man! And even if there is nothing actually going on, it's a ball to go from pit to pit and watch the action at work..

You'd think that all of the teams are really close and know exactly what each other are doing, they are, after all, open pits.. but nooooo.. We've all seen guys feign problems when there were none, or cover problems when there were actually troubles with this or that...

The early morning passes, the "unofficial" times that *someone* has taken that circulate around...

Yep... those who don't make it for the early week truly do miss a big part of the action. But be careful..

One you go and get into that part of the week.. you're stuck, you'll never miss it again.

Oh the drama! Thanks for this conversation guys... I woke sort of down this morning, this little "talk" has my blood pumping... The counter on the racing page shows only about 90 days till time trials and we've only got about two weeks till PRS..

Can ya feel it... It's ALMOST RENO !!!!!

(which to the uniniatiated... is "new year" for those of us bitten by "September Syndrome"....) January first is just another day...

September begins and ends the year for all who have the disease..

Careful, it's contagious!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: The Saw Is Sharpened...

Originally posted by AAFO_DABEAR
            You'd better believe it...and folks are going to be surprised, because one prediction in the Unlimiteds is going to remain unchanged...
            Yep, mine will remain fairly constant from last year also.. but there is one that I can't mention because I promised not to mention anything about what I heard... I don't wanna get skinned but everyone will like the news when they see who's on the ramp on Sunday..

Anyone remember how that old kids poem went... something bout ... "lions tigers and bears??"

Hey... I didn't say nuttin!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Tell me more

That is awsem!! I think there is an aafo story in the "Chess of Reno". Thats a book Id buy. Even Steve Hinton, that guy is awsem! I remember driving to Idaho Falls with my Dad when I was a kid to walk around and look at the RB51. That plane and Steve Hinton are both legends to me. Id love to see Steve and the PoF Spit just once. Now that would make for some chess.

Comment

Re: Tell me more

That is awsem!! I think there is an aafo story in the "Chess of Reno". Thats a book Id buy.
                LOL... believe it or not, there's a bit of "chess" that goes on with us "Pit Wags" also.. we can't tell ya what we're workin on for fear that someone will steal our fire and beat us to the punch..

There was a time when virtually no one covered this sport, now, thankfully, there is actually competition in that area also. It's good for the sport but makes our job that much harder to "win"...

Just be a good Indian and keep yer ears to the track.. Lots of good "stuff" comin down the rail!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                X