X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R/C Record Speeds

Thought I'd copy an interesting post from a R/C Soaring board:

Bruce,

As an "RC turbine boy", I can tell you that the AMA prohibits all speed and racing events for turbine powered aircraft. And I don't think that there are any FAI class/records for turbine models. The AMA says that "red-line" for jets is 200 mph, self policed by the pilots.

How fast? Fairly fast sport jets that are engined at about 1:1
    thrust/weight (fairly typical) will go about 220 mph straight and level if you give them room to get there (or dive a little to get started). Aside from structural and control flutter issues it is pretty simple to make a 300 mph jet, particularly if it only has to hold a couple of minutes worth of fuel. Some crazy German (ain't it always the crazy Germans?) made a 4 foot delta wing with lots of power (16 lb airframe, 35 lb. thrust turbine) and made it go 355 mph (measured via GPS, possibly some error but still mighty fast judging by the video).

A more believable record was set in England in '99 at 254.5 mph averaged over two way (upwind/downwind) passes. The airframe was pretty standard jet stuff (26 lb.) with a 45 lb. thrust turbine.

Having done both (DS and turbines), I can say that high DS speeds are much harder to get than high turbine speeds.

The "slimers" (aka glow fuel) aren't going much over 200. The 1/4 scale racers are getting 250 - 275.

Gordon

PS The current DS record is 240 mph. Yes, a glider.
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder
Working...
X