Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno on Friday & Saturday?

Greetings-
    I'm not sure I understand the race format and/or schedule in Reno. Because of lack of available flights I'm only going to be there on Friday and Saturday. Will I still see some good unlimited racing on those days, or do the big dogs save the power and speed only for Sunday? You can give me the truth- I can take it (sitting down)!
    Thanks- Duncan Mulllins

BTW- I hope the Hughes racer replica is ready to go by September-what a beauty!

Any day you can spend at Reno is a good day! And, they are all different. For sure, Sunday is the day that the stops are pulled, it's payday and if anyone has been holding anything back (they all do) then it comes out on Sunday.

Saturday is also a good heat race day due to the importance of being first in the start on Sunday being determined by the race order on Saturday. So you'll get a good day in there.

Friday, if you've done well on your heats and qualified well, you don't have to race on Friday.. so that day can tend to be a bit "quiet" (if you can call anything at Reno quiet!)

You will enjoy your stay, and you will be wracking your brain all day on Fri-Sat trying to figure a way to get to stay one more day... then all year between this and next, you'll do that same wracking, trying to figure out how to stay even longer.. you'll hear the sound of tourtured engines and propellers in your head for months after... you will be well and truly hooked.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this but that is what happens, it is a sickness with no cure, only an annual dose of medicine that only serves to increase the disease.

You sure you still want to come??

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Aye....he speaks the truth.....this year, an entire weeks vacation will be devoted to Reno. It started with a Sunday, immedaitely went to Fri-nite-Sunday, only to be upgraded to ThursDAY thru Sunday....but now I can't see not going Sunday - Monday ( a full two weekends!!! ). Good luck.

Greg

Comment

As a young teenager I used to go on Sunday only but since I've gotten older and wiser I can understand why you absolutely have to go all 4 days.

Sometimes bad luck happens and an engine breaks during the early heats on Thursday and Friday (sometimes earlier) so your favorite airplane may not make it to Saturday, let alone Sunday.

But Wayne is right...it's balls to the walls on Sunday...that day is a definite must do! Call in sick, stay another day.

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
          As a young teenager I used to go on Sunday only but since I've gotten older and wiser I can understand why you absolutely have to go all 4 days
          I held back slightly on the days to attend to not make drmull feel worse about Sunday.

Actually, each day of race week + have a separate personality and spending the entire 10 day period there is an unforgetable experience to be sure.

In the last few years, we have Mark D. there for even the week prior to that. Each day, something different happens, with the Saturday prior to race week things begin to pick up. Many of the participants arrive on this day so they are ready for any flying sessons that will be held on Sunday.

Sunday you'll have some last minute pilot qualifications, some practice sessions and some very interesting pit sessions.

Monday is the first day of qualification efforts and when the racing truly begins.

After having been there the last few years from no later than Saturday on, I'd have to say that the Sun - Wed days are some of the most interesting in all of racing. This is when the "lies" are told and the chess game begins. It's also when some of the damage that will lead to the drama of the week ahead may well begin. You'll learn to watch the guy who qualifies very fast, he may well have damaged something in that fast run and the team will then chase the problem for the rest of the week.. maybe they'll be honest about it.. maybe not, maybe they'll create a rumor about damage that they don't have.. Maybe they'll all stand around and smile all day acting as though they have the cat by the tail..

To say that early race week is entertaining would be a huge understatement...

If all of what I'm saying convinces anyone that Reno is an entire week's adventure and causes their addiction to grow.. then I have done my job! Hotel rates are cheaper during that part of your stay... Wives and girlfriends can be swayed to see things your way.... or replaced... as necessary

If you are a race fan, you owe it to yourself to try it, at least once.. but then, there is no once for anything at Reno is there..

To all of the truly addicted... we'll see you in a few weeks at PRS... the prelude... the spring fix.. where the air racing truly begins...

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

you will get a full days worth of warbirds and airshow on both Friday and Saturday. Sometimes, someone will head out real early for a "test flight" after an all night (wink, wink) thrash and put on a spectacular show of speed meant to demoralize the competition..........
            the other Wayne................

Comment

New plans

OK...OK- I couldn't stand it any more and coughed up the extra $$ to change my flights so I can be there Saturday & Sunday. I'm sure it will be worth it!! Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Re: New plans

Originally posted by drmull
                OK...OK- I couldn't stand it any more and coughed up the extra $$ to change my flights so I can be there Saturday & Sunday. I'm sure it will be worth it!! Thanks for the advice.
                Ahh... our work is done

You will not regret the decision!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  After having been there the last few years from no later than Saturday on, I'd have to say that the Sun - Wed days are some of the most interesting in all of racing.
                  Hey Wayne, I'll be in Sacramento from the 6th. What does RARA charge to get into Stead Sunday through Wednesday before the official race weekend? Regular price? Can you still get in the pits? Is it open to the public at that time or is it just for the press?

Thanks
                  Don
                  Fan Sponsor - Rare Bear

Comment

Originally posted by hattend

Hey Wayne, I'll be in Sacramento from the 6th. What does RARA charge to get into Stead Sunday through Wednesday before the official race weekend? Regular price? Can you still get in the pits? Is it open to the public at that time or is it just for the press?
                    Don, traditionally, it's been an open situation. I'm not sure if I remember correctly that they were planning on selling tickets for $5.00 but as far as being open to the media, during those days, we're all equals in that there are no visits to the pylons during that period so we're all at the mercy of our imaginations on where to get the best shots...

It's also a GREAT time to be in the pits, it's not crowded, often the teams have not put up the ropes yet and there is a lot of... chess going on.

You'll love it!

It's actually my favorite time there.

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                    X