Turbine Powered Thunder Mustang at Idaho Airshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbine Powered Thunder Mustang at Idaho Airshow

Just thought I would let you all in on what I saw at Thunder over Nampa Airshow on June 12, 2004. On static display was a turbine powered Thunder Mustang owned by Mr. Dan Denny original owner and designer of the Thunder Mustangs. This aircraft was absolutely beautiful. It is powered by a Prat and Whitnery PT-6a engine, and as I was talking to Mr. Denny he still as not flown this variant yet but I did ask him if was planning on racing it in the Sport class turbine division, he just had a big grin on his face. That is if this division does come around to being added at Reno. He wouldn't talk about performance per say but did say it should to out at around 470 mph. So just another little project that we might see at Reno eventually.
    I will try my best to set up an interview with Dan and hopefully get some pictures to post as well if Mr. Sager would like me to just email me at.
    peach11heavy@aol.com

Re: Turbine Powered Thunder Mustang at Idaho Airshow

There is a huge range of power ratings for PT-6's. 550 to around 1650. I wonder what critical altitude and hp rating the engine has to have to true out at 470 mph.
    My rough guess is 1000 hp at 24,000 feet.
    Is this airplane equipped with a 1000 hp PT-6?

Comment

Working...
    X