All I can say is !#!)(!$&!#!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I can say is !#!)(!$&!#!!!!!!

Chance of a lifetime at the Deke Slayton Airfest to get a photo I have always wanted. Take a look, a split second late. It is hard as hell to track a plane traveling at close to 700mph with a 10D. When I saw the LCD all I could think was #!*!)(*!*#@!&#@. Well maybe next time.
    I'll post more tomorrow.
    Attached Files

Re: All I can say is !#!)(!$&!#!!!!!!

LOL Tim, we should probably have a separate "the one that got away" section for these!

I'm sure all of us have a boat load of those "almost" priceless shots!

Good one tho..

Wayner
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Tim,

I feel your pain. Like Wayne said:

all of us have a boat load of those "almost" priceless shots!
      I know I have my more than my share, that's why we keep shooting isn't it?

Rick

Comment

I shoot the R/C Warbirds for practice,,,,if I can do that it will help me at the Reno Races!

Comment

Originally posted by Arboc
          I shoot the R/C Warbirds for practice,,,,if I can do that it will help me at the Reno Races!
          I Think it looks great and I understand what You mean! Thanks!

Comment

Well here are some more from the airfest.

It is finally warm enough for air show season to start here in the midwest. There was really only two warbirds present, a C-47, and a P-51.
            Vlado Lenoch was supposed to have his Mustang there for the Heritage Flight, but the announcers reported he has engine trouble a couple of weeks ago. In stepped the Wisconsin based Mustang of Richard James, Donna-Mite. He let Vlado put the airplane through its paces. Also there were the A-10 demo team, the newest version of the F-18 the F model, a wing walking act, and of course the Blue Angels.

I'm still not getting the crisp focus on in flight shots yet, and the exsposure is still throwing me off. I shot everything in RAW so I was able to save underexsposed shots. I kept dialing in - exsposure comp., but the photos ended up dark, but shooting RAW saved my butt.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey Tim,

Nice shots but it sounds like your fighting some of the same gremlins that I am.

I still haven't figured out how to get the autofocus to follow a plane that's in motion. I am going to try the AI Servo focus setting (finally RTFM'd the manual and figured out what the setting did) and hope that it makes a difference. Also, not sure if the image stabilization is helping or hurting the focus on inflight shots.

I've also had the same problems with exposure. What White Balance setting are you using? I used the AWB setting a few weeks ago and the exposures were all over the place, the show prior to that I had selected the 'sunny day' icon and had better results. I think next time out (PRS next weekend ) I'll take a white 5x7 card and set the WB manually and see how that does

Rick

Comment

The manual?? When all else fails, RTFM. I read it many times already, and I was using AI Servo. I already knew that from my Canon film cameras though. One thing you might try is using the center AF sensor only. Everythng I have read from people trying to do sports with the 10D says this. Also this was the first time with the 100-400. It may have slipped some causing bad focus. I know you can lock it or make it harder to slide, but this just makes it hard to pull back the zoom as the plane gets closer. The 70-200 I have is an internal zoom, nothing sticks out, much better design, but not 400mm!!
                I tried AWB this time, at the vintage auto races I put it on sunny, I think I may try sunny again in two weeks when I check out the Thunderbirds up in Wisconsin again.

Comment

Great photos Tim,
                  Hope you don't mind played with your F-18 shot a little.

Tim & Rick, having the same autofocus problems here to.
                  I find that if I shoot a burst of frames, if the first one is in focus then almost all are in focus but if it doesn't focus the first time them mabe the last is sharp and the rest are junk. I've tried using only the center sensor but that doesn't always work either. As for IS unless shooting at low shutter speeds or panning very fast I don't think IS likes blue sky? Works great with trees and junk like that in the background.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Victor thats amazing, what software/magic do you use?

Digital artist I'll say!
                    ECVSteve
                    E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                    Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Looking good Tim. Sorry about the first one. I always seem to remeber the ones that I don't get. Oh well. Thanks for posting some shots.

Victor, great save!

Bill Pearce
                      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Victor that's pretty damn cool, I have not tried anything that advanced yet in PS.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
                          Victor that's pretty damn cool, I have not tried anything that advanced yet in PS.
                          I've played with the clone tool a bit, I don't think ever to the success level here... the sky is always the giveaway.. It's just darn hard to get it to blend..Victor... care to share the secret?

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                          X