Rare Bear Prop Swap Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear Prop Swap Photos

Wow... are things getting busy or what!!

Mike Gallagher has checked in with these photos from Stead...

Click here for Rare Bear photos....

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Rare Bear Prop Swap Photos

That thing just dont look right! But if it gets a win in Sept then it can look anyway the team wants it to look. I am almost tempted to take a comp day from work and take the 3 hour drive up to check it out!

Comment

I thought they might bring the efficient portion of the propthrust outer where the wing is thinner..it may be a good thing to try it at least..wonder was the Orion prop lighter than this Fury prop ?

Looks to me like the chop sticks they had in Greenamyers Conquest 1..with that elephant with eye glasses drawn on the side of the silverish fuselage.

Then again I am just a layman in building and designing unlimiteds.

Here a model of a Conquest 1:

Last edited by First time Juke; 06-08-2004, 11:43 AM.
      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

If the Bear team does go with the four bladed prop.

For those of you that have never heard the Bear run with the four bladed prop, you are in for a nice surprise.

I was just looking at a vid with the Bear running with the four blade, it sounds nice!

Reever

Comment

They are Aero Product blades used on the skyraider. Just about all the 3350 sea furys are equiped with them. There is also another skyraider blade that has a 3 inch flap on the trailing edge and altogether has 3ft more blade area. These were used to get the loaded sandys off the deck of the carrier. Drednaught runs these blades but slightly modified. There is no speed advantage with them but decreased stability so most 3350 furys do not use them. Conquest1 used the blades without the flap as well. The Bear has won most of it's races with them too.

Comment

What is actually wrong with the original five blader of a Sea Fury ?
            Why aren't them in a Mustang or something ? Is it too big for a Merlin ?
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I might be wrong here, but the 5-blade used on the Centaurus will not work becuse the Centaurus rotates the opposite direction than the Merlin, or 3350.

Bill Pearce
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Yu are Correct The Centarus does spin the wrong way, looks very strange when you have a stock Seafury taxiing with some 3350 versions, seeing the same aircraft with props spinning two different directions!

Comment

[QUOTE=Juke]What is actually wrong with the original five blader of a Sea Fury ? ]

That would be fine, if you want to go backwards

Comment

So here is a question; Would it be possible to use a 5-blade prop from a Centaurus powered Sea Fury on a Griffon powered whatever? I would assume that the props need to be cut down a bit.

I have heard that there are no 5-blade props for Griffons left. I know the profile of the prop is different but hey, maybe the results would be good.

Oh, forgot to mention, Griffons turn the opposite direction than Merlins.

Bill
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                      So here is a question; Would it be possible to use a 5-blade prop from a Centaurus powered Sea Fury on a Griffon powered whatever? I would assume that the props need to be cut down a bit.

I have heard that there are no 5-blade props for Griffons left. I know the profile of the prop is different but hey, maybe the results would be good.

Oh, forgot to mention, Griffons turn the opposite direction than Merlins.

Bill
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Rotol blades are a wood composite and can be more easily replaced. Here's an example on a MK-XIV Spit spotted at Chino in Early May. Peas
                      Attached Files
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I seem to recall a 5-bladed prop on a P-51 in the pits at Reno in the 80's, but I can't remember any details about the aircraft. Anyone else know anything about it?

Comment

Airdog,
                          The Whittington brother brought their P-51H to Reno in the 80's. It had a 5 blade prop on it. It's painted in the green British camo scheme. I think there's a picture of it over at mustangsmustangs.com

Race 29
                          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

You must mean this one Race This is actually one of the nicer photos I got back in 83, (the year of the micro bus trip from Tulsa Pretty cool and unique. I feel lucky to have seen it since it never made it back, (for many reasons, none of them good). Not many P-51H Mustangs to be seen around these days, that's for sure. Anyways, enjoy the shot from yesteryear from the airraceaddict.com archives
                            Bill
                            Air Race Addict
                            Attached Files
                            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Thank you for the info and the fine photo....really stirs the ol' memories.

Yep, That "H" was definitely an eye-catcher. I guess I can consider myself fortunate as well. MustangsMustangs say it's still flying as of March 7, but it appears that the 5-blade prop is history judging by the pics there:
                              P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

Working...
                              X