Wingman Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingman Quiz

Hello All -- Was digging through the Wingman archives this week for a project (John Altman is putting together another Reno on Record CD), and found some neat stuff that I've not looked at for a while. I thought fans might enjoy this oldie. The who should be pretty easy. The year and circumstances might be a bit more difficult. Bonus points for the location, but you gotta be more specific than "Reno".
    Attached Files

Re: Wingman Quiz

Oh! John Crocker and Bob Love. Pylon 4. And a total guess of 1983.

Steve C.

Comment

Very Good! Solved in half an hour. The year was actually 1984, so you were very close. It was a photo run, with photographer Ron Burda in the back seat of Bob's Mustang.I really wondered if anybody would get the location. How'd you know, Steve? By the way, look at the light on the airplanes. You don't see anything like that from the press pylons!

Here's a press pylon view of the artistry of Jim Larsen. I've always loved the looks of this raceplane. Plus it doesn't hurt that this was the first racer to have my name on it...

Neal
      Attached Files

Comment

Total guess on 83. Crocker still had that light shade of blue on Sumpthin Else. Close but no cigar. Love and Crocker were easy. Pylon 4. The light. No trees that close to any of the press pylons. I did get close to 4 during a race once, but it was on the outside of the pylon looking south during a race, right into the sun, on a BLM road. From all the photos I have seen from 4, they are in close.

I hope you put some more stuff up Neal. That is a fantastic shot!

Steve C.

Comment

I spent an afternoon quali session there in '82 compliments of some friends of "Warlock". The racers got VERY close to me. My greatest thrill was watching Lefty run, WOW. Was out there when Skip had the runaway prop in Jeannie and did the "sorta" loop to put her on the runway.
          What a year!

Leo
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Yeah, the old pylon 4 out there on that hill was a great spot. We used to camp out in that area during Race week, and I spent many a day hanging out there, talking with our friends the pylon judges, and taking wonderful photos. It is, as always, a shame that it was all eventually ruined by the yahoos and drunks who eventually discivered the area. As always, the idiot 2% managed to ruin it for everybody...

Neal

Comment

Definately.
              Back in the late 70's, early 80's things were a lot more open. During the week you could go out on the ramp at times for photo's, walk amongst the planes, get into places never dreamed of today. Probably VERY unsafe but those of us that bent the rules a little were overlooked because we were not idiots, knew how to act around aircraft, stayed out of the way and never did anything risky.
              I've seen too many people do some really dumb and dangerous things, I can't blame the powers for clamping down. But I miss it....
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Speaking of dumb and dangerous....

This is from a long time ago.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not much room for error is there?
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Isn't that a K.O.A?

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
                    X