Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racer project with the greatest impression to you ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racer project with the greatest impression to you ?

I was very impressed some 15 years ago when Tsunami, Pond Racer, MA II and Rare Bear were introduced.

What was your favourite of those plane projects..any other ?

I was very inspired by Tsunami.

Here is a link to Tsunami History story:

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Re: Racer project with the greatest impression to you ?

The biggest impression, back when I was still young and impressionable (and probably didn't have the fullest understanding of what kind of task had been undertaken) was the RB-51 debuting in 1975. One big, bad, mutha.

Not my all-time favorite...but easily the most impressionable racer to debut.

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
      I was very inspired by Tsunami.

Here is a link to Tsunami History story:

http://members.tripod.com/~tsunam/tsunhist.html
      Juke,

I wrote that page back in 1996 and it hasn't really changed since. It's not totally accurate (was the best info I had at the time), so I wouldn't read it for more than an overview.

Michael

Comment

Like Speed, I was impressed early on by the Red Baron, nothing like a Merlin on steriods to make a new race fan's day... (my first race was Reno '79, the year we lost the Baron and almost, Steve Hinton)

Race #69 filled the gap for a while, with an overall "old time" all time favorite having to be Lyle Shelton's Rare Bear... but... and I can't really answer why, truly... Miss Ashley II probably made the most indellible impression on me of all time.. Maybe because of the potential that I saw in my uneducated mind. She was slick, fast out of the box, her owner pilot and team were going at the progression up the speed ladder very methodically and... everything we ever saw out of that airplane was with a box stock Rolls-Royce rebuild on the Shack engine.. the only difference being the induction was changed and the addition of Nitrous...

They never had a race engine, per-sey...

As it is with some other racers, we'll never know what might have been with Miss Ashley II.

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My most impression was back in 1980 when jeannie was preparing for Reno it went up for a test flight a week before reno and accident in a corn field in Van nuys and wiley sanders decided to rebuild jeannie and try to get her there in a week.

they got it ready and got to reno on wed befroe deadline and quaylified top of the field and won the Gold championship.

shawn this story is in john tegler gentlemen you have a race in chapter 18 all the best

Comment

RB-51

Wayne,

I once downloaded the World Jet video clip at the Pylon1 site..that was really breathtaking. If I'd seen it for real..well RB-51 must have been a lot like it. Any downloadables available of RB-51 ?

Below are 3 of my favourite designs..which one would you prefer to see one day if I get the funds and co-workers to work on it ?

JT
            Attached Files
            Last edited by First time Juke; 06-05-2004, 07:17 AM. Reason: 3 Racers chart added

Comment

I was very impressed some 15 years ago when Tsunami, Pond Racer, MA II and Rare Bear were introduced.
              Rare Bear was brought out much farther back than that, since I watched it fly in the early 80's (didn't I see it in '81?)

As far as design, I'd have to pick the Pond Racer, even though it never had the engines to do the job. Quite a unique bird. I had high hopes for it.

Most impressive to me however was Dago Red. If I recall correctly, the plane was finished only a week before the '82 races, the paint was barely dry, and yet Ron Hevle kicked everyone's butt and took the gold! How ofter does that happen with a brand new plane that hasn't had much air-time?

Comment

Pond Racer was something totally new really. I tried to come up with same sorta innovation on my EXCALIBUR pusher...well everybody said it won't fly past 400 mph.

Excalibur would have had just one main gear..and two tailwheels in the rudderbooms. Rudderbooms are to give the prop a clearer incoming airflow..rudder would have created turbulences..unevenly on the prop arch..elevator stil does to some extent.

Just a wild dream like the others. Maybe little.....=>

Also fancied a display team...screaming penquins..
                Attached Files
                Last edited by First time Juke; 06-06-2004, 03:02 AM.

Comment

rare bear first flew in the races in 1969
                  heh heh alriiiight

Comment

That is right Matt. It was called Able Cat back then. It was 5th then. 1989 it broke the absolute world speed record. Since the race lap speed has been broken..I did read 541 mph was clocked by a Rare Bare in a race too..what was that all about ?

Comment

to complete the 3k speed record you need to make 4 passes, the first 3 were flown in the mid 540's but the wind started kicking up and the last pass was made at about 510, when the time was averaged out it came to 528.329 mph, wasn't as fast as she could go, but it was fast enough to keep the record safe for a long time.

or atleast this is what lyle told me.
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Is Dago Red going to attempt the record ? That would be pretty cool for Mustangs reputation in general ( now when she has got the race lap top speed and all ).

Comment

actually, i believe the bear holds it at 511
                          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Matt,

How do you figure the Bear holds the fastest ever lap speed record when Dago ran the 507+ (albeit disputable) AVERAGE race speed last year? Granted, the course shortening was a contrived, self-serving promotional vehicle for RARA, but I believe it was Dago turning a few official laps in the 511+ range. I believe the fastest official race lap run by Rare Bear was a 487+ lap back in the 1991 race. When and where was the Bear clocked in the 500+ range?

TPS

Comment

Whatever happened to Tsunami?

What happened to Tsunami after the accident? Was the airframe worth salvaging? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X