CAF Mustang Down in WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAF Mustang Down in WI

FYI since many of us are probably trying to watch the race btwn rain squalls and may not have seen this http://www.aero-news.net/ .............. too too bad I especially like those Freedom Flights and hope they are able to continue a long time.
    Blue Skies Donald Hinz
    Pat

"Top News

CAF Mustang Down in WI
    Sun, 30 May '04

Rare CAF P-51C Lost In Accident
    Update: We have just learned that the pilot in this accident, Donald Hinz, has passed away due to his injuries. ANN sends our condolences to this family and friends...

One of the most rare of P-51s, a P-51C adorned in Tuskegee Airmen livery, went down during flights for the Wings of Freedom airshow at Red Wing Municipal airport, WI, on Saturday"...........more on the site
    Last edited by Firecat; 05-30-2004, 01:35 PM. Reason: forgot the quotes and the web link! sorry..........

Re: CAF Mustang Down in WI

Thanks for the information Wardog. Very sad. I only hope that ANN is being good about releasing this type of detail and waiting till the family is notified.

With the immediate nature of the net, comes the responsibility to wait sometimes before we publish.

Very Very sad to lose another classic, pilot and airplane.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As sad as it is to lose a rare aircraft, I feel the greater tragedy is in losing our veteran pilots. One of my greatest joys in coordinating warbirds at numerous airshows was the opportunity to listen to these vets as they talked about their experiences of WWII in the various aircraft on display. They are a national treasure and the numbers are dwindling. I arranged for several of them to take "one more ride" in their aircraft and the joy on their faces was worth all the effort.

On another note - - history buffs out there . . . . does anyone know where there is a totally restored Martin B-26 Marauder (either flying or static) on display. My cousin Pete lost his life in this aircraft in WWII over France and I would like to locate one to visit. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Fantasy of Flight has a flying B-26.

With more than 150 aircraft from the dawn of flight to the 1950s, Fantasy of Flight has the world's greatest aircraft collection, second only to the Smithsonian.
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Hey THANKS, Peashooter!!! I'll go there now to check it out!

Comment

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio also has one:

Here is a list of surviving B-26s:

This registry documents all Martin B-26 Marauders that survived military service.

Bill
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by Firecat
              One of the most rare of P-51s, a P-51C adorned in Tuskegee Airmen livery, went down during flights for the Wings of Freedom airshow at Red Wing Municipal airport, WI, on Saturday"...........more on the site
              It's sad (and amazing, sometimes) the way things are tied together in the big scope of things. That P-51C had been bouncing around from CAF squadron to squadron for well over 40 years..waiting to be restored to flying condition.

The man who was my mentor, a man I admired very much and miss every day, was the one who was responsible for 'saving' that P-51C back in the early 60's. It was sitting derelict in Montana, and the CAF sent him up to evaluate it. They purchased it, and my friend was responsible for getting it airworthy for the ferry flight. It was during this time that he met his future wife...a school teacher from that Montana town.

He always referred to that plane as "Norma's Mustang". I'm sure some of the old-timers (BellCobra IV, you out there?) will remember the stories.

Sad we lost another 'treasure', and my sympathy goes out to the pilot's family. But it also reminds me of other friends long-since gone. In it's own way, kind of appropriate that it happened on such a solemn weekend.

Comment

ya speed, i think anyone here that knows you knows who you mean. he is missed

my condolences to Donald Hinz' family. a very big loss.
                heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Working...
                X