RareBear Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RareBear Site

I have been visiting the Bear Site regularly and it is never updated. Anyone know the status of the Bear Team? The last message on the site is the New Year message which was back in January.

Re: RareBear Site

Originally posted by Eric
    I have been visiting the Bear Site regularly and it is never updated. Anyone know the status of the Bear Team? The last message on the site is the New Year message which was back in January.
    I'm the "webmaster" for the site, though I've not been sent an official update, they have updated the status here on this board, unoffically, of course.. They are planning on doing a prop swap at PRS with "back to back" testing with the old four blader that had been on loan to Critical Mass (who rebuilt the prop, by the way..) and the current "whomper" three blader.. It is suspected that the airplane will be *somewhat* faster with the 4x prop..

Other than that, as far as I know, all is well within camp Rare Bear.. We'll be visiting them next month at PRS and will have some photos and updated information, here and over on rarebear.com at that time..

One more thing, there will be another fund raiser at the Bear Cave this PRS.. more info as soon as I get it.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Excellent! I heard about the "prop swap" with critical mass back at Reno last year. I am gonna miss the 3 blade sound, but then again sound dont win gold! Also, do you happen to know if they fixed the engine probs they had last year. I think it had to do something with valves/pistons if I am not mistakin. Thanks again for the info!

Comment

As far as I know, they have fixed the problems from last year.

I'll see what I can do about getting an official update... I'll dig through my emails, my plate has been pretty full and I *may* actually have been sent one by Elliott a ways back but might have missed it, or more accurately, did not catch it as "official" for publication update.

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

No rush sir, I just wanted to make sure everything is going well with the Bear. Looking foward to seeing him fly again this year!

Comment

I would miss the big three blade prop that's for sure, but if it's the diffrence between 2nd place and 1st place then they should make the change. It sure would look pretty on 323. Some ones got to use it!
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I hear ya! I think it was the 90 Reno where my Dad nd I first heard that big 3 blader. When he made the first pass....we just looked at each other wondering what in the hell that sound was! The Bear was movin good but the prop looked like it was just fluttering along. When we got Skyfire 90 we replayed that tape over and over just listening to that thing! Theres only a few things that give me goosebumps, taps, national anthem and the 3 bladed RareBear Prop!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                When we got Skyfire 90 we replayed that tape over and over just listening to that thing!
                Hey, I'M in that video!

Comment

Sweet...where in the vid?

Comment

I made my fan sponsor donation and Sharon said they got two new spare front and two spare rear cylinders, and got some pistons that they could match weight-wise with the other pistons in the engine.

Ron Henning
                    Ron Henning

Comment

Just remembering the sound of the Bear flying with the 3-blade still gives me goosebumps. When I first heard it in person in 1994 it was the most beautiful thing - absolutely amazing. Hard to explain why and weird that a sound would hook me, but it sure did & I've been hooked since. Just glad I got to hear it live. A shame we may not hear it again.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

Hello Ya'll

Haven't been to the forum for a while.

Regarding engine work, our incredible crew, along with the management skills of Sharon Coates have all of our reworked cylinders back, and four have been installed on the engine.

The four blade prop, which was a trade to "Critical Mass" while we ran with one of their carbs, is being installed for testing. We hope to get enough data to make a quick, accurate decision on whether we will run with the 3-blade, or the 4-blade this year. At this time, technical rationale for this potential swap is being held close to the team. We'll expound more later after we make the decision.

Meanwhile, while I've been unable to secure that large corporate sponsorship, Sharon Coates has been doing a marvelous job running the fan-sponsor program, and we are in a better position now than we were this time last year. Eliott White, our new Crew Chief, has been plugging along tirelessly with all the other "Reno Mechs", and we anticipate having the plane back in the air in a few days. We plan to collect 4-blade data at the Pylon Racing School, 17-20 June.

We'll have more after testing is complete and after PRS.

So, for now, the "Bear" is STILL back!

John Penney
                        "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team member

Comment

Hello John,

First of all, I'm very happy to see that things are going well with th Bear!
                          I hope as well with you too! I'm wondering, if you (or any of you out there) would know where I could get my hands on a "manual Style" line
                          drawing of the 3350?..... I'll take a picture but, I would love a straight
                          on front view illustratoin. I'm in need for one of my designs for this year.
                          Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing all of you this year!

Paul L. "PJ"
                          Designer,
                          Team Rare Bear

Comment

Oh WOW!...Thanks for the great info Mr. Penny. Looking foward to Sept!! Already got the leave pluged in at work. Very happy to hear all is well in Bear Land! My cousin and I must have spent about 80% of the time around "The Bear" last year at Reno. Good luck at the PRS.

Comment

The BEAR was pulled from the cave today and the engine was runup a couple of times (it sounded great) and we are expecting to put her in the air sometime this week. I will post another update as the week progresses.

Elliott
                              STRESS

Comment

Working...
                              X