Airshows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airshows?

Anyone plan on attending the airshow at Moffett Field this weekend or the Merced Airshow next weekend. I am trying to figure out if it is worth my time to drive out there (like I have nothing better to do). Any info would be great.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Airshows?

Matt,

I guess it would depend on how for your driving but the Moffett Airshow should be good this year. The performer lineup looks good as well as having the Thunderbirds at the top of the bill. They even have an Aerobatic Learjet listed as a performer. Has anybody seen Bobby Younkin perform in his Learjet?

See you there if you can make it.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
      Has anybody seen Bobby Younkin perform in his Learjet?
      Rick, I've seen Bobby a couple times, it's an awesome act! He was at Sun-n-Fun this year but was flying while I was busy recovering the "red jet"...

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I look forward to seeing it. The concept of a Learjet doing aerobatics blows me away. Then again Hoover did some amazing things in the Shrike.

Rick

Comment

I look forward to seeing it. The concept of a Learjet doing aerobatics blows me away. Then again Hoover did some amazing things in the Shrike.

Rick
          Yep, my favorite "big plane" acro is the film of Tex Johnston rolling the Dash 80 up at Sea Fair waaaaaay back. Can you imagine the bronze balls of a guy who would do that in front of god, his boss, all of Boeing's clients and the entire city of Seattle with the world's first (successful) jetliner!??!

My kind of guy!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Rick
            Back in the late '60s, the heyday of the old Reading Air Show (Reading, PA), I remember going one year with my father when the first Learjet made its debut. There was a lot of cool stuff to look at (the Blue Angels were flying F-4 Phantoms back then, and I think Hoover was there, too), but the one thing that sticks in my mind was the routine the factory pilot flew in the Lear. Lordy, that was a revelation! No one had ever seen a business jet before, and that thing was a rocket ship. Made the Blues in their F-4s looks stodgy and underpowered.
            SteveZ

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
              Yep, my favorite "big plane" acro is the film of Tex Johnston rolling the Dash 80 up at Sea Fair waaaaaay back. Can you imagine the bronze balls of a guy who would do that in front of god, his boss, all of Boeing's clients and the entire city of Seattle with the world's first (successful) jetliner!??!

My kind of guy!

Wayne
              Yeah Wayne, that took bronze balls. But doing it a second time because no one would believe what they just saw, took gigantic bronze balls. If I remember correctly, Boeing President William Allen was not happy about it. I think when Allen retired Boeing gave him a plaque with the pic out the window while the 80 was inverted and he refused to accept it. I might be wrong.

Bill
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Ya looks like Merced is going to be pretty good this year with 300 aircraft. I heard this is the first time the Collings B-17 and 24 will make a appearance with that ME-109 Hispano (2 in the world) that was recently restored by Harold Kinsvater. Also heard the CAF is bringing up there Zero and will appear with Tony Banta's P-40. There flyers say they got a former Flying Tiger with his new book along with a bunch of Mustangs and antique aircraft. Looks like III do both.

Comment

I recall seeing Hoover fly a Sabreliner at an 80's Reno were he took off with both running, but shut one down on the first pass and flew a great looking routine. Did he do that Sabreliner routine in the sixties too?

Comment

Had the first T-bird fly into Moffett today. He made several loops around the valley (a great way to advertise for an airshow),and passed fairly low over my house twice with his smoke on . Expecting the rest of the 'Birds tommorrow.

Comment

You bring back memories. 1986 to 1991 I was a contractor at Lockheed(Blg 150). Very close to Moffet. In those days, the Navy had an airshow every year around the 4th of July. The whole week before the show, airshow activity would increase. Lunch time, the P3 (always had a P3 demo) would practice. On Thursday the Blue Angels would have their arrival show. It was great. Got no work done. Finally just broke down and arranged my schedule to take the afternoon off. Get my camera and go over to Blg 157, right next to the runway. Security and I had a deal. I didnt point my camera at Lockheed, and I got to keep it. Works for me. I have a picture of an f14 pulling out that is pretty good. If I find it I will post it.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Yep. The last time a military team flew at Moffett was '92 (I thought it was '93). After the Navy left in '94, we went years with no airshow at all. Several years ago they started airshows again, but they lacked the big guys (I miss all the NASA demos as well)....it's so good to see jet teams over the valley again.

Another nice thing about the Navy-sponsored shows were....they were free. Still, I don't mind paying to get in, if it means bringing the airshows back. It's well worthwhile.

Here's a scan of the program cover for the last Navy show:

P.S....The rest of the Thunderbirds arrived a little after 2 pm and gave us a good buzz-job. Somebody slap me, 'cause I can't get this damn grin off my face!

Comment

Here is the f14 that I was talking about. Taken in 1988. OM-1 /Vivatar 400mm lens.

Dan Plunkett

It sorta got smaller. I have to find out how to get under the size filter and yet retain the size of the picture so I can do it like the big guys do.
                          Darn.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow...now that's a MAN'S airplane in that poster. And no, I'm not referring to the dirgible in the background.

Wouldn't you agree, Bill?

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                              Another nice thing about the Navy-sponsored shows were....they were free. Still, I don't mind paying to get in, if it means bringing the airshows back. It's well worthwhile.

It is illegal, under DoD regs, to charge admission to any kind of show or performance hosted on/by a military installation. There can be "suggested donations" for parking, but you can't force someone to pay.

Airshows were (are) handled as "public relations" events, to foster a relationship between the base and the surrounding community. Funding for the shows were usually part of the Commanding Officers "general fund" budget every year. So accordingly, the shows at a lot of bases were the first things to go as the budget cuts and downsizing occurred. Lots were reduced to 'open houses' with static displays, as opposed to full-fleged airshows.

Too bad. They were fun to put on.

Comment

Working...
                              X