Vintage Sports Cars-Elkhart Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Sports Cars-Elkhart Lake

Well this was the first chance I had to try my hand at some fast action with my 3 week old camera. I can now see that last year I was shooting at higher shutter speeds with my EOS 3. I had many more keepers last year. I tried shooting at 1/125th most of the day, and also tried a little at 1/60th and 1/30th. I tell you what, I have a new found respect for all you motorsports guys. It was tough, a lot of photos made it to the recycle bin.

Anyway here are a few, comments, and more tips always welcome.
    Thanks,
    Tim Adams

The first was shot at 1/125th, as Gerhard Bergers old Ferrari heads into the Hurry Downs section of the course.

All shots taken with 70-200 f/2.8L with 1.4X, and 2X converters.

Well the image upload seems to be buggy today, they are not showing up.
    You can see the photos here.
    Last edited by T. Adams; 05-22-2004, 09:57 AM.

Re: Vintage Sports Cars-Elkhart Lake

Lets try again. OK, it works for me now, here are the pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

Reaaly nice shots. How was your access? I have never been to Elkhart Lake. Most of my sports car experience has been at Laguna Seca, Monterey. Over the last 30 years it has gone from possible to get good angles from regular spectator areas to now its is just about impossible.
      Did you have credentials to get "over the fence". Again, great shots.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

No special access. I just paid my $15 as a spectator. Elkhart Lake has many great locations for photos without fences in your way. If I would have remembered to take a little stool, I also could have gotten those nice Jersey barriers out of some shots. In most cases you are less than 50-100ft from where the press is allowed.

For the larger events you can buy a photo all access pass, but it is $300 and you have to attend all 4 days, and attend daily press meetings in the morning. You also have to show that you have capable equipment (no throw away cameras here), and also have some pictures that show you know what the heck you are doing.

Comment

Another question: You mentioned that you were shooting with higher shutter speeds with your film camera than with the digital. Why was that? Were you shooting at a slower ASA or is something intrinsic to the media?

As a digital newbie, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

I really did not pay a whole lot of attention to the shutter speed with film, (being the dumb amatuer I am) I just know they were higher. I can tell by looking at the pics from last year. The backgrounds are not as blurry last year. The slow shutter speeds make it really look like the cars are flying. The Lucky Strike car was taken at 1/60sec., but the car was only moving probably 60-80mph. At 1/60sec. though it looks like he is flying.

Oh, I forgot I always shot 100 speed film, and try to stay at 100 speed with the 10D, as long as conditions allow it.

Comment

Great shots Tim , What lens are you using?
              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

All shots were taken with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, with both the 2nd generation 1.4x and 2x extenders.

Comment

Thanks Tim, The extenders there the new Canon ones right?
                  Does auto focus still work with those? Doesn't look like they had any effect on the quality of the images.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Yes these are the new versions and the autofocus still works on a 10D. All Canon EOS cameras will AF to an aperture of f/5.6. All of the exspensive EOS bodies (EOS 1V, EOS 3, EOS 1D, and 1DmkII) will AF to f/8.

Comment

EOS cameras

Everything you ever wanted to know about EOS cameras can be found here.

Comment

Working...
                      X