How many Merlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Merlins

I'm a new air raceing fan. I also love all the war-birds, but even a casual observer can see pretty quickly that this is a sport that eats up at least a few Merlin engins every year. My question for all you veteran air racers is how many Merlins are available to these racers that are good enough to be rebuilt to racing standards, or even for parts? A second question is how much does a standard war-bird Merlin cost, and how much do some of these mega-performance Merlins cost? Thanks a lot.
    P.S. Same questions for the Radials?

Re: How many Merlins

Although there certainly have been more than a couple Merlin parts reduced to junk over the many years of racing (both boat and airplane), keep in mind that the majority of racing Merlins are made up of a conglomeration of parts. In the hottest racing Merlins, some of the parts aren't even Merlin, in fact. But even stock Mustangs rarely have a pure -7 under the cowl. That being said, there are still some nice goodies out there to be had, if you know where to look and have the $$$$$ to spend on them.

But the reality of the situation is that there are precious few parts left in very few remaining inventories. As of this moment, I can only think of 5 Merlin builders remaining in the US.

As for the cost of a racing Merlin or even a stock rebuild, let's just say that this is but one reason warbird ownership is limited to a select few.

TPS

Comment

One of the best Merlin rebuilders in the business:

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
        One of the best Merlin rebuilders in the business:

http://www.mysteryaire.com/
        LOL... one of??

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Isn't MysteryAire "retired"? As well as Zendroi retired recently?
          As far as remaining Merlin shops, are the following?:
          Sparrow
          Nixon
          Roush
          Schoenholtzer(sp?)
          Thx,
          VL

(For the original question, purchasing a "stock" V1650-7 Merlin can run from around $60,000 on up.)

Comment

There has been a complete Merlin on and off of ebay just receintly. I think it was around $15,000. I think it's at spitfirespares.com SP?
            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Check this out, lots of Merlin goodies here.

Comment

Although there may be some historical significance to the Merlin stuff listed on the Spitfire site, it's all basically useless to an engine builder. I can't remember one part that looked remotely airworthy. It's the Packard -7, -9 and Rolls transport stuff that is most highly coveted by the Merlin/Mustang crowd. Some stuff from the single-stage 224 and 225 can also be used interchangeably with the Packard -7 as well, as I understand it.

As for the existing Merlin builders, I'm not certain of the status of Mystery Aire, but I know Air Sparrow, Vintage V-12's, Rick Shanholzer, Hovey Machine and Roush's shop are still building engines.

Comment

Don't forget our friend Connie Edwards has a pretty good inventory of Merlins and parts hidden in West Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlado
                    (For the original question, purchasing a "stock" V1650-7 Merlin can run from around $60,000 on up.)
                    That's about the same as a reman of engines on a turbo-charged twin.

Now to get Tri-State Aviation to release a Mustang "kit"! Or how about the Czechs?
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Try to find a reverse running merlin...

Comment

Originally posted by Sani Hut
                        Try to find a reverse running merlin...
                        That sounds like 'double the trouble.'

If it's like the old Cox .049, just spin it the other way! I had 'em run backwards many times. Only launched my old Sportavia that way once!
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Vlado
                          Isn't MysteryAire "retired"?
                          Vlado, I sure wish you'd bring that pretty airplane back to Reno!

And as for Mystery Aire being retired... I got a call today from the shop... "the sweet crackle of truth" was the subject. They were running up a Merlin on the test stand down there at MA.... so... Dwight may have had a setback or two, but the rumors of his retirement were premature...

Frankly, I don't think Dwight will ever stop playing with the Engine Rolls-Royce... It's just a part of him and he can't put it away. From what I understand, even when he was in the hospital a while ago, he was reported to be working on Merlin parts in his bed! (NOT KIDDING!)

So..... If ya really need the best in the business, he's still at it and cranky as ever!

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Any hints as to who the motor is for?

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
                              Any hints as to who the motor is for?
                              Ha.... I could start a lot of speculation by being coy... but I'll divert to the truth this time

The word I was given was that it's a very nice Merlin, more than a "stocker" but not for a racer... at least, not yet anyway...

Now.... if you want me to start rumors, there is PLENTY of ammo for that arena this year! I been keeping my trap shut but there's some "stuff" goin on that nobody will gimme the full story on.. so, I'm gonna keep on keeping my trap shut..

Wayner
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X