The "original" Red Baron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "original" Red Baron

Doing some research today, I stumbled across one of the best photos I have ever seen of a very little-known race plane at the U.S. Cup in 1971. God Bless Gerry Liang!

Speeddemon

Re: The "original" Red Baron

Originally posted by speeddemon
    http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/con...tion/racer.htm

Doing some research today, I stumbled across one of the best photos I have ever seen of a very little-known race plane at the U.S. Cup in 1971. God Bless Gerry Liang!

Speeddemon
    That would have been cool to see a Super Connie passing a DC-7 on the outside of the home pylon.

Don

Comment

One other factor that the article doesn't mention is that the U.S. Cup race required each aircraft to make at least one pit stop. The whole point of entering the DC-7 at Mojave had been the ability to fly the race non-stop. The logistics of a pit stop in a Mustang or a Bearcat are a whole different beast than trying it in a DC-7 or a Connie. Just the approach for landing would have taken them out of contention.

Still a very cool 'what if' situation, though.

Speeddemon.

Comment

My favorite quote about Super Snoopy:

"The aircraft consumed 4,100 gallons of 145 octane fuel and 80 gallons of 70 SAE Pennzoil"

1 gallon of oil for every 51 gallons of gas. Thats just a little bit lower oil consumption than my 2-stroke weed-whacker (1:32 oil/gas mix)

Gotta love radials!

Comment

But lower consumption than several of the cars I've owned...
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Lol....Nothing beats a circuit racer that can transport it's own spare parts to the race-site!....good find.. .

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
              My favorite quote about Super Snoopy:

"The aircraft consumed 4,100 gallons of 145 octane fuel and 80 gallons of 70 SAE Pennzoil"

1 gallon of oil for every 51 gallons of gas. Thats just a little bit lower oil consumption than my 2-stroke weed-whacker (1:32 oil/gas mix)

Gotta love radials!
              That's about $45K today! That lineboy gets a commission! His gas truck would be sportin' rims in no time.
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
              X