Aluminum Overcast Mishap???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Overcast Mishap???

I do not want to spread any unnecessary rumors, but I caught wind of some breaking news that the EAA's B-17 Aluminum Overcast was involved in a landing accident earlier this evening. As I understand it the crew are all safe but the bomber has had significant damage to the underside. Apparently the main gear failed as the aircraft touched down on the runway. This just bumbs me out!! I have not been able to locate any news agency related story to post with this or I would, but the information comes from a reliable source. If anyone knows the best place to locate a link please lend some insight to this post. Again, this is not a cheap attempt to post rumors. I was really looking forward to catching the bomber up hear in NOR CAL.

Dave

Re: Aluminum Overcast Mishap???

Experimental Aircraft Association

They have the story... bummer!!!!!!

Just read the account (after posting this) looks like they were only going about 30mph when the gear went down.. I'm sure it's not good but should not be *that* bad.. I'm not sure if he actually made it but Bill Pearce was headed down that way today.. hopefully, he'll chime in here soon and let us know if he knows anything further..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here is the video. Looks like someone pulled the gear up instead of the flap?

Comment

Hello-

I'd like to save this clip to show my dad in case the station removes it from their site. When I right-click and "save target as", then try to play the clip, the media player says it's not a recognized file type. It seems they've got it copy protected or something. Anyone know how to get around this problem?? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by drmull
          Hello-

I'd like to save this clip to show my dad in case the station removes it from their site. When I right-click and "save target as", then try to play the clip, the media player says it's not a recognized file type. It seems they've got it copy protected or something. Anyone know how to get around this problem?? Thanks
          Yer doin better than me, I can't get it to play... says something about the proxy server not being able to connect to the media player or something like that...

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I saved it to my hard drive here at work. If you want a copy e-mail me at tim.adams@weyerhaeuser.com and I'll try to send it.

Comment

here is another link for the video.

Wayne

Comment

Oh man.... OUCH! Looks like the flaps were already up? I can't remember if they are split flaps, which would have been out of view though.. Man it hits hard! Not an easy let down... wham... all four stopped instantly, that's a bummer.. would have totally wrecked the ball, chin prolly trashed too... what a drag!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Saw it on the new last night, a local news copter was filming a fire and then they said there's a plane accident right behind us.
                  Found this in the local paper.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
                    Saw it on the new last night, a local news copter was filming a fire and then they said there's a plane accident right behind us.
                    Found this in the local paper.
                    Victor, to be on the safe side, I removed the image... that's an AP shot from what I can tell, or at least, an AP publication.... appreciate the effort but don't wanna run afowl of those guys!

If you can find a link to a website with the photo, that'd be OK.. actually putting it on the server puts us in jeporady... or however you spell that word..

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sorry Wayne,
                      Thought it would be ok if the origional photographers name was on it.
                      Man seems like I just cause too many problems here.
                      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
                        Sorry Wayne,
                        Thought it would be ok if the origional photographers name was on it.
                        Man seems like I just cause too many problems here.
                        Victor, no problem at all!!

I just have to be really careful as copyright is one of the things that the server host is very touchy about...

Anyway... no harm, no foul, no trouble and you don't cause any!!!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Jeopardy. You're welcome.

--The Word Police

A shame about the B-17. CBS2 online clip was poor; fortunately (?) I caught a much better one on their 11 p.m. Wednesday newscast. Noticed the tailwheel seemed to have a severe wobble before the mains went. Contributory, or what? I don't know enough, but it didn't look right.

Comment

Does anybody know if this is the airplane owned by Bill Harrison that was at the Miami/Homestead Air Race in 1979?

Neal

Comment

Neil,

ANN lists Bill Harrison as the pilot during the accident http://www.aero-news.net/#9829e54b-2...d-21a2f54bdf52

The EAA site states that he purchased the B-17 in 1978 http://www.b17.org/history/aluminum_overcast.asp

So I guess all of that fits for him to fly it in 1979 at the Miami/Homestead races. Unless he had more than one.

Bill
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
                              X