"The Last Roundup" at Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Last Roundup" at Reno

For those who might not have heard there's going to be another Gathering of Mustangs and Legends at Reno/Stead in June of 2006. The goal is to have 100 P-51's in attendance with a 51 plane formation flight as the highlight. Check it out: http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51.../gmlhome.shtml

Re: "The Last Roundup" at Reno

Gonna be a loooooooooooong wait.
    Better start saving time off now.

Leo
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Wow, that would be something. I think the most I have seen fly together was a flight of 16 at Oshkosh a few years ago. Thinking of the sound of all those Merlin's give me goosebumps already.

Comment

A BIG "hats off' to the gang at Stallion 51 in Florida for having the foresight to hold this event again. They held this same event in 1999 and 66 Mustangs showed up. They completely funded the event and lost money, but it was well received by all. Lee, Angela and Candy, thank you for your efforts and I for one will be counting the days.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
          A BIG "hats off' to the gang at Stallion 51 in Florida for having the foresight to hold this event again. They held this same event in 1999 and 66 Mustangs showed up. They completely funded the event and lost money, but it was well received by all. Lee, Angela and Candy, thank you for your efforts and I for one will be counting the days.

Dave
          I remember talking to Candy about the '99 event when I was down at Stallion51 last year for my hour in Crazy Horse. She rolled her eyes, told me what a zoo it was and said, in effect, 'Never again!'. Guess hers is not the only opinion that counts around there.

But I missed the last one and I'm not going to make that mistake twice.
          SteveZ

Comment

This is gonna be good

Comment

Originally posted by Sani Hut
              This is gonna be good
              Septadeca Trouble!
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Sani Hut
                This is gonna be good
                Why...you gonna 'debut' Double Threat there?

Comment

Don't get him started! But maybe by 2006 we WILL see one of the real Twin Mustang restorations flying and what better place to debut it!

Comment

I'm sure that for the participants, it is going to be a fun time.... however I did attend the first Gathering in Kissamee, FL as a spectator - and I can only say it was a huge disappoinmtment. A few takeoffs and landings, only 1 flyby, and many non-stop hours (yes, I said hours) of no activity what-so-ever.

Maybe the new venue will make it better - but for anyone attending as just a spectator, I would reccomend a lot of suntan oil, some food & drink, and a good book. You'll need it.
                    Mark K....

Comment

I think they're addressing the spectator issue in 2006. Here's a quote from Curtis Fowles' site:

"There will be much more flying at this event than at the 1999 Gathering. Flying and/or a "show" atmosphere was not the focus of the 99 event...The Final Roundup is designed more as a "show" with much flying in the works including a 51 ship formation!"

Comment

Considering how the 99 event was billed to the general public (and other organization issues I will not get into out of respect to Wayne) - I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to see more facts (like some sort of proposed show schedule, and when the time draws nearer something a little more concrete) and less hype. Sorry to sound like a naysayer... but the old phrase "burn me once same on you - burn me twice, same on me" comes to mind.

Still, I'll make sure I have the time off work to attend, just in case. It could be a great time. Frankly, it's too early to tell at this juncture. Just MHO of course
                        Mark K....

Comment

Hey Cobra,

Good to see the old Markster back in action. The Gathering in 99 was a huge succuess in getting as many Mustangs together as they had. You are right in that it was a big disappointment as a flying venue. There was no flying except those who chose to travel to Polk City and Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight Airdrome. The folks at Stallion 51 have something entirely different planned for this event. In talking with them some time back they indicated the non-flying Gathering of 99 made it diificult to be profitable. In fact, most of the expense and loss was carried on the shoulders of Stallion 51. An attempt will be made to have a mass formation of 51 Mustangs airborne for a fly-over of the field. This is to be a flying event so there should be plenty of action for those who make the trip. It is a long ways off , but just think of the enormous undertaking the folks at Stallion 51 are challenged with. Lee and Angela have the full support of the Mustang owners on the eastern part of the states giving us all the opportunity to see warbirds we have ONLY seen in magazines. We out west are fortunate since they were looking at a number of locations in Colorado for which to hold this Gathering. Making it more difficult to attend this event. 100 plus Mustangs on the ramp at Reno/Stead will truely be a historic event. How about 100 plus Merlins coming to life at once like Indy. Pure music!!!!!

Dave

Comment

So that I'm not confused, is this going to be held in at the same time as the air race, or a seperate weekend?

Comment

I believe the Mustang gathering will be in June and not during the September air races.

Comment

Working...
                              X