Catch-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch-22

Last night, AMC showed Catch-22. Kind of a dud of a movie, except for the stunning opening sequence where all 18 of the B-25's do a short-interval takeoff. Gives me chills to watch every freakin' time.

Many moons ago, we had the opportunity to work with Tallmantz Aviation and get to know Frank Tallman and Frank Pine (Tallmantz's chief pilot). I don't know as I've seen many pilots come close to their ability and experience level....it was just amazing.

But Frank Pine was telling us about filming Catch-22, and about the unofficial 'check ride' he gave to each one of the B-25 pilots. The Tallmantz 'camera ship' B-25 had an 'open' camera position in the tail (similar to what the Challenge Publications plane has). Pine strapped in to the tail position, and let his legs hang out in the slipstream. As he was filming, he had each one of the pilots fly in trail and slowly close in until he could reach out and rest his feet on the nose of the plane. If the pilots could hold formation like that, he'd give them the thumbs up, and they passed the check.

I'm sure air-to-air refuelling between two 'heavys' is, in itself, a kind of aerial ballet...but I would give my left nut to see the camera footage that Pine shot while they were doing that. That's some REAL pilot s*#t, Mav!

I don't know if they even breed pilots like that anymore.

Speeddemon

Re: Catch-22

Originally posted by speeddemon
    I don't know if they even breed pilots like that anymore
    Speed, actually a very good movie with a lot of "deep" stuff buried in-between the lines... also very good aerial stuff, indeed!!

On the pilot thing, not to take away from any of the old timers, in my limited experience with air 2 air photo work, I've flown with a couple guys who held on the camera plane so close and stable that had they been closer and I'd have had my legs out... coulda set them on the wing to be sure...

I too would love to see footage of that stuff, though unless the air was pretty still, it sounds like a really good way to get your legs stuffed... at best...

"Lowrider"
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Catch-22

Cool Movie, Back in my younger days my frat use to go down to Guymas (think thats how its spelled) for spring break and stay on the beach next to the runway where the movie was filmed, its a stunning area. It was loads of fun. Ah the memorys.

Comment

Working...
      X