tiny concorde flying with L39...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiny concorde flying with L39...

Check this video out...and check out the L39's and the airline they have at the end of the video.
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Re: tiny concorde flying with L39...

sweet!!!
    Nice video!!

Comment

Very impressive. It reminds me of an incident at the Australian Airshow at Avalon a few years back when they had a radio controlled jet demo. Just after the announcer had finished detailing the incredible cost of one of these planes some poor pilot had his F-100 flipped by a wind gust on take off and cart wheel down the runway.

Comment

That last post reminds me of the early 80's at Reno when they had RC planes fly in the morning before the actual full size planes flew. One year 3 model planes came down in one day, one plane being a high-wing generic model with a glider mounted on top that would separate and be flown by a second pilot (the release mech. snagged and they spun-in together), and another being a large 1/4 scale biplane that spun and hit the hardtop right between 2 full-size Snowbirds.....

I don't recall any RC planes flying at reno after that crazy day. Possibly considered bad luck...? Or maybe airshow insurance companies said "no more"...

Comment

You sure that wasn't '78 ? Also among the carnage was a banner towing Stearman (full size) that pancaked in right in front of the grandstands with a great deal of damage

Comment

You sure that wasn't '78 ?
            Couldn't be. I started making the annual pilgrimage to Stead in '81.

I know it wasn't on my first trip, and '82 was too windy/rainy, so my best estimate is somewhere around '83 to '85...

Comment

Speaking of fast models, I'm headed to Parker Mt. (Acton, CA) this Saturday to fly my new Vortex, a 60" slope racer (r/c glider). It's a carbon, hollow-molded gem that screams! There will be some dynamic soaring (DS) done as well! See the links for more info on DS speeds. The current record is 232 mph!

BTW, I practice first with a Bat, an EPP foam flying wing. It's indestructible.

DS record run video, rated PG-13 for language!
              Attached Files
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                Speaking of fast models, I'm headed to Parker Mt. (Acton, CA) this Saturday to fly my new Vortex, a 60" slope racer (r/c glider). It's a carbon, hollow-molded gem that screams! There will be some dynamic soaring (DS) done as well! See the links for more info on DS speeds. The current record is 232 mph!
                Cripes a-mighty, that record video is unbelievable. You ain't kiddin' when you say those things scream. How many 'g's do they pull? When that wing lets go in the video, all I could think about was what a lethal lawn dart the fuselage would be at 200+ mph.

There's a similar flight path that has been successfully used by full-size sailplanes to extract enough energy from horizontal shear layers to sustain soaring flight, and sea birds do something like the same thing in the boundary layer over the open ocean, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the dynamics in this kind of 'dynamic soaring' work. The flight path followed in the record flight is impossible to 'read' from that video. Can you point me to a technical reference that explains the physics of the thing?
                SteveZ

Comment

Kilo: Here's a good link:

We've been slope soaring at Red Rock after the races at Reno on Friday and Saturday evenings. Not the best location for DS, but the front-side lift is awesome. It's West of Stead. If the wind's blowing from the West, meet us at the Cincy Guys box!

BTW, DS involves flying a horizontal loop on the downwind side of a slope. At the top, the glider hits the acccelerated boundary layer and aggressively pulls through it. On the bottom, downhill side, the glider is in the rotor coming back up the hill. Essentially, it's always in accellerated air, or lift. Pretty damn cool. Peas
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Now I get it, thanks Peas. So DS does use the same principle as an albatross soaring in the shear layer: very cool. Except the albatross can use its technique to make long distance flights with minimum effort.

Has anyone with an R/C glider tried to emulate the albatross technique, over open water? Has anyone with a full-size sailplane tried to emulate the R/C DS profile on the back side of a slope soaring site?
                    SteveZ

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo Hotel
                      Now I get it, thanks Peas. So DS does use the same principle as an albatross soaring in the shear layer: very cool. Except the albatross can use its technique to make long distance flights with minimum effort.

Has anyone with an R/C glider tried to emulate the albatross technique, over open water? Has anyone with a full-size sailplane tried to emulate the R/C DS profile on the back side of a slope soaring site?
                      KH, Nobody's done the open water gig, and full scale DS is looking for volunteers! As Dr. Mark Drela said, a full scale ship with a 50:1 L/D could potentiall hit 500 mph! The g-forces might be intollerable, anyway. Peas
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                        KH, Nobody's done the open water gig, and full scale DS is looking for volunteers! As Dr. Mark Drela said, a full scale ship with a 50:1 L/D could potentiall hit 500 mph! The g-forces might be intollerable, anyway. Peas
                        Ah, well, my glider's L/D is 46:1, but its redline is 'only' 150 mph. I think I'll let somebody else volunteer.
                        SteveZ

Comment

The current record is 232 mph!

DS record run video, rated PG-13 for language![/QUOTE]

All I can say is...........
                          HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!!!!!! How can you even keep track of those things? That is amazing Dude! Everybody better take a look at the video!

Cheers,
                          Bill
                          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo Hotel
                            Ah, well, my glider's L/D is 46:1, but its redline is 'only' 150 mph. I think I'll let somebody else volunteer.
                            One more R/C item: Here's my scale ASW-27, 3.5m ship, code "RS". We aerotow these scale ships with gas-powered models. What a hoot! Peas

PS Forgive the use of camera-phone images in this thread.
                            Attached Files
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Since we're showing off our engineless toys, here's a shot of my 20-meter Duo Discus. Well, I exaggerate: it's only partly mine, but I get to fly the whole thing
                              Attached Files
                              SteveZ

Comment

Working...
                              X