Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airspeed and altitude question?

Ok here's one for you smart people...

This is off topic for the air racing section but since traffic here is a bit slow with everyone off on vacation travels for spring break, what to heck.

With my tendency toward a wandering mind, a thought just came to me. Since altitude affects true airspeed and relative airspeed due to density, what about wind speed and the effect on objects, both human and, let's say.. dust.

Let's say, a 25 MPH wind speed at the 5,000 or so feet at the Reno Stead Airport is blowing and picking up dust and FOD, I'm going to assume that, the velocity of that wind would, in fact, be the same, in ground speed as a 25 MPH wind here at 30 feet above sea level where I live..

Here's the question, due to the density of the air in that 25 MPH wind, would the effect on objects be reletive to the air density?

Let's say, the velocity of that wind necessary to move a given micron sized dust particle, for instance. Since the density of the air moving at a given velocity would be different at the two altitudes, would it take a higher velocity at 5,000 feet to move the same dust particle than it would at 30 feet above sea level?

Dumb question? Maybe....

Wandering mind??

You BET!

Ok... *sigh* back to more productive thought processes..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Airspeed and altitude question?

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by srpatterson
      Yes
      LOL... ya'know... the more I re-read my post... the dumber it sounds to me!

My thought was born of the windstorm that I witnessed out at Stead last year at Christmas when I went to visit the Bear crew. It was nearly 100mph. I've seen 70 or 80mph "up" here in North country at sea level and it seemed just as brutal, if not more! We loose trees and roofs and whatnot... down there, it's a total DUST STORM!

Anyway... don't mind my ramblings..!

Wayne
      PS... (via edit) I just remembered. I've actually witnessed the two biggest windstorms in recorded Nevada history. It happend, that I lived down there as a teenager when the first one hit, back in the 60's, then by some weird chance, happened to be there for the second.

Useless, I mean TOTALLY useless triva from someone who needs to turn off the computer-s and go to BED>>>>

G'night!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Your heading in the right direction. Mars has winds that can attain high speeds but the atmosphere is so thin that even when the wind is blowing at its fiercest it would not blow you over.
        But you can't fly in this atmosphere either.

So are you thinking about the size of sand filter for your equipment this year Wayne?

See what the lack of an evening beer will do!
        ECVSteve
        E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
        Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Originally posted by ecvsteve
          Your heading in the right direction. Mars has winds that can attain high speeds but the atmosphere is so thin that even when the wind is blowing at its fiercest it would not blow you over.
          But you can't fly in this atmosphere either.
          There are plans in the works to send an autonomous pilotless vehicle on a future Mars probe. I've heard of more than one development team investigating this possibility; this link talks about a Swiss effort.

SteveZ

Comment

With no air and an airplane I hope they don't put a person in it.
            Hey guys if you lost 80% of the air density how fast would you fall?
            ECVSteve
            E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
            Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

A viable candidate for Mars is the Mars flyer is being built by Aurora Flight Sciences.

Comment

....and humans again defy the "Laws of Physics"!

.........seems the higher and faster the get,
                the denser they are..........
                Mayday51
                Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                X