Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merlin Engine

Hi There

I live in the UK and have been offered a 'zero houred' Merlin engine. Apparently it has been stored in grease since leaving the factory. What further information should I try to find out and who might be interested in buying one of these? What are they worth?

Many thanks

Hugh

Hugh,

The overall value to, say, a racer will likely depend on what model Merlin it is but I suspect that more than one person who frequents this site will have at least some interest in this engine.

Knowing that there are some run out engines here and there in private hands, stored in barns and such, it makes one wonder just how many of these are still left.

I know many people feel that all of them have been found but it would be interesting to know if there are a lot of them. I suspect that there are, at least, several left... One would hope that someday, someone prys open a long forgotten storage depot and finds the mother lode!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Mother Load

I've seen a small mother load of potential racing Merlins in good ole West Texas.

Along with a totally stock P-51D, Spitfire (can't remember which model) several '109s and other stuff.

The gentleman is a little ornery (he's a family friend), but someday someone will get it all.

We tried to buy the '51D but had to take the Spit with it (being a family friend did help the business deal). Price too much for stock condition needing restoration.

King

Comment

Merlin market

There are basically three markets:

1. Mystery Air, Nixon, Hovey, etc. that will use it for whatever race capable parts exist in the mix.

2. Scharnholzer (sp?), etc. that will use the engine to satisfy the racer-restorer who will use the parts to equip a hot rod Mustang that also races.

3. Lauterbach and others who will use the parts to restore stock and museum quality Mustangs, Spitfires, etc.

Contacts for all of these areas exist on these boards.

Comment

Working...
        X