Testing New Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing New Layout

I'm not going to make a poll, but I do invite you to opine on the attempt at a new look and functionality for the website.

After staring at a design for too many hours patching and tweeking, spacing and moving, adding and removing, it all becomes something that I NEVER want to see again..

in short..

So....

Be gentle, I wound somewhat easily

It's time for

And remember the terms of service..

I reserve the right to not pay attention to anything I don't want to...

I'm not asking for your

but don't go away

Throwin the doors open, who let the dogs out??

Wayne
    PS, a special thanks to Mark Kallio of Pylon1.com fame for his fantastic graphic work on the header piece for the site.. !
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Testing New Layout

Looks very all right. The pic ( opening page ) appears to be more austere than before..good thing..top of the pop...wanna some kinda award ?
    PS: Especially the inline engine mounted text: ROTO FINISH blew me away ( I am sorta Mustang fan after having 3 R/C Mustangs ).
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
      Looks very all right. The pic ( opening page ) appears to be more austere than before..good thing..top of the pop...wanna some kinda award ?
      PS: Especially the inline engine mounted text: ROTO FINISH blew me away ( I am sorta Mustang fan after having 3 R/C Mustangs ).
      Ha... not lookin for an award, just some feedback prior to moving ahead and making a LOT of pages.

Mark did a BANG up job on those graphics! I love the way that you can look at it more than once and see something new each time..

On the "why" of the remake.... just cause we could..

Really, this site has evolved with that basic front page design since late 1997... that's pretty stale!!

It was/is time.. As time permits..

Also and I have to make the confession, I'm looking for a bit more "commercial" of a "look".... We gotta fund this bad boy, period..

Hopefully, this will help..

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

looks great guys! I know from experience just how much it takes behind the scenes to make it happen. so a big kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by wardog
          looks great guys! I know from experience just how much it takes behind the scenes to make it happen. so a big kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
          Thanks Cindy,
          The old layout was so, well.. loose (lots of white space) that this one sort of looks crowded to me, at least at this juncture.. It's sort of funny, you get a rough idea of what you want to do in mind, then start assembling it, I wound up with a lot more room in the center space, width wise, than I thought I would and a LOT less on the side panels than I thought I would. I had a certain amount of "things" that I wanted to include in there, like the "skyscraper" google thing, the "new forum topics" and then I did not want to abandon the loyal "featured links" thing, where I have, in the past ran a few things that actually brought in a $ or two. (long ago dried up in that area!)

I had to really play with the google search box code to get it to fit where I wanted it to! Hopefully, dey no get mad ad me!

I really do hope to get feedback via this message. I want to move ahead and do some more pages but really would like to know if there are any huge objections to the layout.. too crowded... too much contrast in the color scheme... too busy.. whatever..

You guys are the ones that use this place.. and I've got the design judgment of a shovel when it comes to my own work..!

Thanks so far for the kind comments!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So this is what you're doing with my measley donation, eh?
            I'm impressed!! Keep it up.

While I'm at it, what are the chances of Mark recreating the
            amazing wallpaper calendars of days gone by? I miss those so much!

Please?

Thanks for all your hard work - I couldn't survive my mundane life without
            this site. This place rocks!!

Cheers!! Rachel

Comment

Wayne,whatever you do is just fine with me.
              it looks good,keep up the good work!
              ric taylor

Comment

Looks fine to me so far, too. I also really like the Spitfire POTW...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                  Looks fine to me so far, too. I also really like the Spitfire POTW...

Neal
                  Well thank you Neal.. perhaps I'm too technically critical of my photographs. That one is soft, so I almost did not run it. Now, I get your comment that you like it and also one from someone close to me who told me they thought it was the best photo of mine they had ever seen...

Seems what I try to get and what others want to see, might not be the same thing??

I am totally NOT an artist in my photography.. I'm a "gunner" track the subject and shoot it down..

THANKS though Neal.. I really do appreciate the compliment!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I also love the Spitfire. It is my wallpaper at work, and I have already received many comments on it.
                    thanks!

Comment

Hey, self-criticism and concern about technical matters has its place, but a great image is a great image. This one is...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                        Hey, self-criticism and concern about technical matters has its place, but a great image is a great image. This one is...

Neal
                        Seriously Neal, my jaw is dropping on this one. That was one of the more hastily chosen images that I've done lately. I only chose it because I found out I was going to Sun-n-Fun and wanted to give 'em a plug...

I'm serious when I say, I probably don't know a good image from a bad one... I may be looking for the wrong things in them..

I'm not trying to be "overly modest" or get more pats on the back by taking a faux modest stance.. I'm truly surprised by the reaction to this photo!

I just received an email from the pilot in the shot who wants a copy...

Phew... I REALLY need to think more about *what* I'm shooting when I shoot and maybe concentrate less on the "perfection" of same..

Neal... I'd sure love it if you'd do a "photo primer" article sometime. I think a lot of us might just be in the same boat. Trying too hard to get the "technically" good image and missing the mark with the actual value of content of the image.

In other words, missing the art of photography.

I know, for me, what is in my mind when I shoot is "don't frick up" .... "get the GDARN SHOT" and not much more...

Accidental "art" I refuse to take credit for. The moment was thrilling, all I wanted to do was get a shot with the "flashbang" in the same frame... absent that, I just tracked and pulled the trigger and hoped for *something* good to come of it...

I want more!

Teach us Obewhan!

Thanks again though!!!!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by dineega
                          I also love the Spitfire. It is my wallpaper at work, and I have already received many comments on it.
                          thanks!
                          Awwwww shoot... this is just great.. I bust my arse over the layout and ewe guys all just like the POTW...

In all seriousness....

THANKS

I'm glad you guys like the shot! I also hope the layout works for everyone. I'm not going to have time to expand on it much before leaving for Florida early next week and I've got two very PRESSING projects that need my attention to the point, I'll be workin on the airplane on the way out and back.

Gotta make a livin!

<cracks whip on self> GET TO WORK!!!

contracts to fulfill!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

We'll see about an article, though both Scotty and Mark K have done excellent pieces on the subject that are far better than I could do. Maybe we could get Mark to resurrect that article he did to post on this site. In general my plate is awfully full right now.

I'm afraid consistent technical excellence is not my forte -- I'm basically pretty lazy and consistent excellence is an awful lot of work. But in evaluating my photos I'm always looking for "that great shot". Sometimes the greatness is sheer technical excellence, but often it is something more emotional; a gut reaction to an image. I often don't know that any given shot is going to be a great one when I take the shot -- so I look pretty carefully at the results of a big shoot, and revisit it occasionally to see what I might have missed. This can often include shots that were techically a bit questionable, but emotionally they just grab you. It paid off for you here!

I guess that for me "art" is just images I have a visceral reaction to, and which keep me coming back to them for more. Your Spitfire shot is one, and so was Dominique"s POTW of Dago and the Bear.

Neal

Comment

Don't forget, my first comment was total appreciation of the new site.
                              Hell, I love it all - don't be quittin' anytime soon!!
                              **counting the minutes to Reno 04**
                              Rachel

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                              Awwwww shoot... this is just great.. I bust my arse over the layout and ewe guys all just like the POTW...

In all seriousness....

THANKS

I'm glad you guys like the shot! I also hope the layout works for everyone. I'm not going to have time to expand on it much before leaving for Florida early next week and I've got two very PRESSING projects that need my attention to the point, I'll be workin on the airplane on the way out and back.

Gotta make a livin!

<cracks whip on self> GET TO WORK!!!

contracts to fulfill!

Comment

Working...
                              X