Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that Mustang #1

Hello-

OK- I know it's an F-82 but what in the world is hanging underneath- radar pod, giant fuel tank?? Anyone know for sure? Thanks

BTW- If there's no pic then I didn't understand how to attach an image- it doesn't show in the preview but shows as being uploaded. Here goes.
    Attached Files

Re: What's that Mustang #1

That's a radar, pretty sure. A Google search shows that F-82F and G models were night fighters with a radar and a radar operator in one cockpit.

Comment

If Memory Serves me right there also was a gun pod version

Comment

Originally posted by Curt
        If Memory Serves me right there also was a gun pod version
        Ahh... Guns..... Though I doubt that I'd ever have made much of a real fighter pilot, in my on line air to air combat days, GUNS GUNS GUNS! Was the call of the day!

Nothing better than *finally* getting on some poor sot's six and then tormenting him for a few minutes with a well placed burst here and there till ya "killed" him!!

It's really too bad that online air combat has pretty much died, in those days of slow direct dialup "one on one" combat, it got pretty "real" after a half hour or so of playing around..

Used to be in a "ladder" competition, where you moved up or down by yer victories or defeats, met some "interesting" folks, killed a few, died a few times but, the suspension of reality was VERY cool.

Can't even imagine what with the computing and connection power we now have, how cool it could be!

Randy: you guys ever do combat sim stuff with "guns only" as the setting?

I know, in the real world, it would have been a survival thing and not much real fun, but in the sim world, GUNS! ROCK!!!!

Question: What's the hottest, newest, best flight sim out there?

In deference to "Speeddemon" I used to LOVE to shoot traps in the old "US NAVY FIGHTERS" simulation and its siblings..

What's hot now?

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Randy: you guys ever do combat sim stuff with "guns only" as the setting?
          Well, in the course I instruct in, we essentially teach gun-only dogfighting. Although the AT-38C is "armed" with AIM-9s, they are the old AIM-9Ps which are aimed only up the boresight line of the jet and can only be employed from the rear hemisphere of the target.

So, essentially the student has to maneuver to the bandit's six to employ a heater the exact same way that he would to use the pistol.

We teach 'em to shoot the AIM-9 as a "shot of opportunity" on their way to finding a gun shot.

Back in the F-15E when we wanted to have a more sporting time, we would fight gun-only there, too.

In the Air Force, our radio call is "Tracking" when we are putting the pistol on someone, followed shortly thereafter by "Kill Bandit!" I believe that the "Guns, Guns, Guns" call was an old Navy thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
            Question: What's the hottest, newest, best flight sim out there?
            Almost forgot. The cool new thing as far as I can tell is "Lock On: Modern Air Combat." I haven't flown it yet myself, but there are certainly a ton of simmers out there that are very excited about it.

Back about 5 years ago when I first started flying the F-15E, I bought Jane's F-15E thinking how great everyone said it was. Well, unfortunately, since I had the real thing to compare the simulation to, I was very disappointed by it. I even tried to use it as a learning tool, flying intercepts and practicing real tactics on it. Unfortunately, the program fell short there, too, so I put it away and haven't touched it since.

So, now I tend to stay away from the jet sims (I hear Falcon is pretty hot now, too, with many add-ons) for that same reason and go for the M-Soft Combat Flight Sims. The first one and second one were both really cool...I loved being able to fly the warbirds and the gun-only BFM was a ton more fun to me. I haven't flown the third CFS, although I'm sure it's just as fun with better graphics.

Comment

Guns? We don't need no stinking guns....

I prefer to use the old Navy technique of using the propeller to chew up your opponent. Worked great in the Corsair. Works quite well on Chinese MiG's too. :-)

As far as the F-82 with a 'gun pod', there isn't a version that has a pod. All F-82s had five .50 cal's in the mid-section between the fuselages. (That's why the radar pod hangs 'below' the line of fire).

Comment

If you want to have some fun give this a whirl

i have been fighting this game for quite some time and i set itup on a friends and it works great over 56 k

it is a bit of a downlaod but it is well worth it, and Randy if you give it a whirl if you see a player 1Alaska in the head to head section (its free ! )
                cut me some slack

Comment

LOL curt, i love aces high

hehe, we've fought eachother a couple times, often wondered if that was you, i'm tool318
                  heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Did i Kick Yer ????

Comment

you mean the times we actually fought and didn't bnz eachother? i think you have a few victories on me.
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I've been playing Aces High for a while, but not neirly as much as I used to. The voice over the net is cool. For a more modern flavor, I've never seen a combat sim as good as Janes U.S.A. F. It didn't have too many missions, but the one's it did have were great. Graphics are still good compaired to todays games. Unfortunatly, it's an old graphics engine and doesn't work the greatest with todays faster graphics cards. You could do air to air as well as air to ground. The AGM-65 Maverick was so much fun! Once it was launched you could fly it right to it's target. There's too many sims out ther now that once the missle is launched, you just hope it hits the target. In the days of Falcon, F-15, USAF, and Navy Strike Fighters, the trend was towards realism. Now it seems to be more towards cartoonish graphics. If there's a current sim that's as good or better than USAF, Please someone let me know!

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
                        X