Foiled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foiled!

Well, today I got officially shot down in my attempt to bring a T-38C out to Stead for static display during Reno.

It seems that with the high field elevation and the almanac temps in September, the takeoff distance will be outside the acceptable safety buffer for the T-38.

So, guess I'll just be a spectator like everyone else this year.

Re: Foiled!

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
    Well, today I got officially shot down in my attempt to bring a T-38C out to Stead for static display during Reno.

It seems that with the high field elevation and the almanac temps in September, the takeoff distance will be outside the acceptable safety buffer for the T-38.

Randy, didn't I read in the RGJ that they are extending the runway (can't remember which one) length to something like 6500 feet??

If I remember correctly, in the story, the work was underway and would/should be finished by Reno..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It's really 14/32 that I'm interested in. The "minimum" runway length without a barrier system available is 8,000 feet -- this is for safety margin in the event of an engine failure or high-speed abort, since the Talon has neither good single engine performance nor an antiskid braking system.

Unfortunately, the rules say that if the computed takeoff length is within a certain margin of the actual field length, the AF isn't willing to risk putting a jet in there for an airshow. Because Stead is at 5,000' and the cataloged historical temps put the pressure altitude even higher, that computed takeoff length is significantly longer than it is here in souther Georgia at 200'!

So...I tried at least!

Comment

Awwww fudge! What's the DA there at say.... bout 03:00???

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Come to think of it I don't remember offhand ever seeing the Thunderbirds at Reno in their T-38 days -- I do remember the Angels in their Skyhawks... Actually, I really preferred the A-4 show to the F-18s. I guess that's serious sacrelege, eh?

Neal

Comment

It's really 14/32 that I'm interested in. The "minimum" runway length without a barrier system available is 8,000 feet --
            Randy... I had to search back a bit to a link that Leo posted. It looks like they are extending 14/32 out to 9000' and from what I could tell in THE ARTICLE work is already underway and would, I would think, be finished even before PRS in June...

Can ya ask again based on this premise????

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Who'd REALLY want to see a T-38, anyhow?

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                Come to think of it I don't remember offhand ever seeing the Thunderbirds at Reno in their T-38 days -- I do remember the Angels in their Skyhawks... Actually, I really preferred the A-4 show to the F-18s. I guess that's serious sacrelege, eh?
                Neal
                Sacrelege maybe, but true none-the-less. The Blues in their Skyhawks flew lower, closer, and were just generally more entertaining to watch. Plus, the mass formation take-offs and landings were awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  Who'd REALLY want to see a T-38, anyhow?
                  I would! It's the ultimate fun-jet; 2 engines, 2 seats, supersonic and relatively low fuel burn. All it needs is $$$$!
                  Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                  World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                    I would! It's the ultimate fun-jet; 2 engines, 2 seats, supersonic and relatively low fuel burn. All it needs is $$$$!

If you want to be really impressed, just watch a P-3 do a low pass some time. More smoke, and almost as much noise.

Plus, you could do a 2 engine-out landing, and still keep it in one piece. Try that in a T-38, kid.

Comment

Wasn't there a Navy T-38 down at the East end of the field last year out of Fallon? The LT was a former Tomcat slugger, or something? Or was it an F-5? Can't remember.

Are the performance stats that different between the two platforms, or are you just admitting that there is truth to the notion that "Aviators are better than pilots"?

Comment

If you want to be really impressed, just watch a P-3 do a low pass some time. More smoke, and almost as much noise.

Plus, you could do a 2 engine-out landing, and still keep it in one piece. Try that in a T-38, kid.
                        But "Speed", if I can use the word 'practical,' the T-38 would be more so for the individual owner that's not looking to take all the kin folk along. Imagine preflighting the two birds, not to mention fuel burn! Plus, the Talon is one sexy biotch - the right curves in the right places! Then there's roll-rate... Peas
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Are the performance stats that different between the two platforms,
                          Yeah, an F-5 has a hook, making high speed aborts a non-issue. T-38s have neither a hook nor anti-skid brakes, making the dirt off the over-run the option during a high-speed abort.

Comment

Yeah, an F-5 has a hook, making high speed aborts a non-issue. T-38s have neither a hook nor anti-skid brakes, making the dirt off the over-run the option during a high-speed abort.

I thought that's what the guy in the back seat (meaning YOU) was for....just reach a hand out and snag it.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                              Actually, I really preferred the A-4 show to the F-18s. I guess that's serious sacrelege, eh?

Neal

<looking both ways....>

Psst..... I like EVERYTHING about the A-4 better than the F-18.

Its just a hell of a cool little airplane. The bantam rooster of the fighter world.

Comment

Working...
                              X