Wildfire...I remember when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildfire...I remember when...

Back when I was still a kid, this guy who was involved in air racing named Ron Fleming (His business card said: "Ron Fleming Enterprises"....so my Brother and I called him "Mr. Enterprises"...wonder what ever happened to him???) took me into Charlie Beck's hangar on the Van Nuys airport to look at this wild thing made from a T-6 frame and a 2800 Pratt motor. They were all so excited talking like it was going to be the fastest thing around. At the time it was just a skeleton and not much had been done yet. I was so glad that someone was going to make a homebuilt unlimited to challenge the proven old racers and maybe launch a new wave of faster, wilder racers. I had heard that it was grossly unstable upon its first flight and the project was abondoned. When I saw your article on it, it brought back some great old memories and the hopes for the homebuilt unlimited promise of the past.

I wish them all the best with the project. It is nice to know that dreams may be put on hold, but they don't really ever die.

Glenn Bloom

Re: Wildfire...I remember when...

Very interesting to read.

That WILDFIRE is a mystery to me. I bet they have a good reason to build it. Weight is the most interesting aspect, but that spinner tells me of a new approch along with the slim fuselage behind the engine.
    Somehow that layout brings to my mind the beautiful PZL 11 fighter from Poland.

Lockheed ex-worker was also Bruce Boland who was the aerodynamist and engineer behind Tsunami...the second fastest piston plane in level flight ever..isn't that correct Matt ?
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

second fastest piston powered aircraft *recorded* in level flight.
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

It will be interesting to watch and see what happens with it.
        Glenn Bloom
        www.helicopterpage.com

Comment

Working...
        X