Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hughes Racer Photo Feature On-Line (finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes Racer Photo Feature On-Line (finally)

Aviation History: Hughes H-1 Replica Racer nears completion in Cottage Grove, Oregon. 46 photo feature..

We apologize for the delay.... but the wait will be worth it... this airplane is an absolute gem!

Wayne
    PS.. buried in the text of the story, there's a bit of KEWL info for those planning on attending Reno this year.. and if you're not planning on it.. you just might be changing your mind after reading this....

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Awsem

Great job on a story for a great plane. Reno will be a no miss this year. Not much to say but "Awsem".

Comment

WOW

And Wayne you have excellent written skills. you seem to carry the eloquince of the plane in the article. loved it.
      ECVSteve
      E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
      Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Re: WOW

Originally posted by ecvsteve
        And Wayne you have excellent written skills. you seem to carry the eloquince of the plane in the article. loved it.
        Wow... typos and all ??

Seriously.. thank you! Believe it or not, in '97, I started doing this just so I could write and had a webmaster to do all the layouts and such.. one thing led to another and now I find myself having very little time to write. That you appreciate it when I do is very gratifying and I sincerely appreciate the compliment!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

the H1

In a single word..........WOW!

This must be one of the most........WOW! air craft. Awsome does it no justice at all. I wish I could be in Reno this year

And I agree, the artical is well done Wayne, But if we keep this up we might have to get the Bear to sit on your head to let all the air out, and bring it back to normal size

Comment

Dream On...

My butt could never be THAT big!<G>

BRDB!!!

Comment

Alright now Wayne,
              You did it again! truely amazing work...both the plane and the article.
              .....the things you guys do bring joy to many hearts.

......(I am jealous at times of not being there myself)

Thanks again.
              Mayday51
              Jim Gallagher

Comment

So far as I am aware, there are now replicas of the Hughes, the Laird Super Solution, Delmars GeeBee, and two GeeBee Z's....

Imagine what a parade lap those would make!!!
                the other Wayne................

Comment

Originally posted by GWB
                  So far as I am aware, there are now replicas of the Hughes, the Laird Super Solution, Delmars GeeBee, and two GeeBee Z's....

There's also a Mr. Mulligan (not sure if that is a replica or a restoration) and there is also Laird Turner (I believe that's the correct name) under construction in California... and one other, which I can not remember at the moment.. And.... a Gee Bee R-1 under construction up in Washington state also...

Delmar's R-2, is slated for donation to the Smithsonian, but I'm not sure that has gone through or has been done yet...

This really is an awesome time for classic racer rebirth!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Now let us think about this. for a minute..........

Could we convince the guys over in Reno to invite all of thees aircraft (once compleeted of course) for some thing like a parade lap, or some thing ells. Maybee give them a chance to turn a few hot laps on the course. Give us a chance to see and learn a little more history about the sport we love, and the aircraft that started it.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee
                      Now let us think about this. for a minute..........

Could we convince the guys over in Reno to invite all of thees aircraft (once compleeted of course) for some thing like a parade lap
                      I don't think you'd have much trouble getting Reno to think this was a good idea.. The problem would be getting the airplanes there.

I spoke with Jim Moss last year (or the year before.. it's a blur now ) about just this thing with his Super Solution. Aside from the airplane not being that easy to fly (no forward vis) it cost a lot of $$ to get it from one place to the next. At the time, he was keen on doing this sort of thing but mentioned that it would take someone to pony up the expenses for such a trip/trips to get him to bring the airplane there or elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this classic reproduction going on. When Delmar first started with his Gee Bee travels, he did it in a trailer. One incident with a wheel bearing on his trailer and an almost loss of the airplane on the ground caused him to re think the transport situation and he then flew it everywhere..

Hangar space had to be arranged everywhere he went, it was left in various museums close to his next appearance and that sort of thing that made it easier for him but it was still a bit of a logistic nightmare.

If someone had the $$ and could figure out a safe way to get all of these or at least some of the classics out and about, imagine the touring airshow act that three or four of these could make!

Portable pylons, smallish course, demonstration races, or.. recreation of famous actual historic races... <drool> That would bring huge crowds and would also grow interest in the sport..

Now to find the benefactor to sponsor this!..

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                      X