Homebulit inlimiteds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebulit inlimiteds

I received my copy of SPEED, PROPS AND PYLONS this past week. The Sandbergs now have possesson of Tsunami and are entertaining thoughts of rebuilding it... More power to them... Also in the March 94 edition of Sport Aviation there was a picture of a moch up and a short article of a R114-C3 racer from Sparks. Does anyone know what happened to it?

RichBSTL

Re: Homebulit inlimiteds

Originally posted by Unregistered
    The Sandbergs now have possesson of Tsunami and are entertaining thoughts of rebuilding it... More power to them... RichBSTL
    Uh....why? Is there even anybody left in the Sandberg family who cares about air racing? I thought the purpose of selling off all the merchandise and closing the doors to JRS Enterprises was because there was no money.

Larry_the_Cucumber

Comment

Hmmm

How much is left of her? I've never seen pictures of the remains.

Since most of the research, design and troubleshooting had been done to her before the crash, would seem to me a viable option to rebuild / build her than modify something else or create a new design from scratch.

Leo
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The photos I've seen of the remains of Tsunami, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot left. The back half of the fuselage, looked like it sheered just in front of the cockpit. The tail and horizontals were bent over, because it looked like the airframe rolled on the ground after it broke apart.

You'd probably be better off using the tooling created to make the original, and make a new one.

Comment

ya, that's probably what was meant by "rebuilding" her. the sandberg family does have some interest in airracing still, if they didn't they wouldn't produce "speed props and pylons "
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Twin-nami

I'd like to see that - Tsunami resurrected. On a crazier, "fantasy racer" note, I'd wondered about a "Twin-nami." Two Tsunami fuselages in an F-82 Twin Mustang configuration.
            Nevermind, just day-dreaming...

Comment

Re: Twin-nami

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
              I'd like to see that - Tsunami resurrected. On a crazier, "fantasy racer" note, I'd wondered about a "Twin-nami." Two Tsunami fuselages in an F-82 Twin Mustang configuration.
              Gee, that would "double the threat."
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Shhhhhhh

Be vewy vewy quiet or you'll awake Sani Hut...
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

With twin Griffons and counter rotating props

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L
                    With twin Griffons and counter rotating props
                    Either this or a Tigercat with two Bear engines. (Think Pink Floyd's "Money." Song-in-head for the day!)
                    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Years ago, there was an article in I think Air Classics or maybe Air Progress concerning a modified P-61. It was fiction and was just for fun. If memory serves me correctly it was a modified P-61 with clipped wings and a couple of 4360's hung on her. The unknown pilot kept her in the desert outside of Reno somewhere, and used a large cave to hide her in, since it was a totally illegal plane. He'd orbit just outside the race course out of site of everyone and then at the start of the gold race, he'd power up pass everyone and then at the end of the race, he'd disappear over the ridge and back to his home, to await the next years race. Like I said, was a fantasy, but I remember reading and thinking......wow, that would be fun.
                      Brian

Comment

Fools

Double Threat Lives on

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          Years ago, there was an article in I think Air Classics or maybe Air Progress concerning a modified P-61. It was fiction and was just for fun. If memory serves me correctly it was a modified P-61 with clipped wings and a couple of 4360's hung on her. The unknown pilot kept her in the desert outside of Reno somewhere, and used a large cave to hide her in, since it was a totally illegal plane. He'd orbit just outside the race course out of site of everyone and then at the start of the gold race, he'd power up pass everyone and then at the end of the race, he'd disappear over the ridge and back to his home, to await the next years race. Like I said, was a fantasy, but I remember reading and thinking......wow, that would be fun.
                          Brian
                          Aaaah, yes. That would be "The Phantom"....Ran Slaten's dream child. Ran was one of the 'early' photographers at Reno, along with Jim Larsen, Gerry Liang, Bill Johnson, Ron Burda,and that gang. (Yeah, hard to believe, but even before Wingman's time....sorry Neal.) Ran actually did up a model of The Phantom from the Monogram kit and "doctored" some black & white photos (rather well for the time period) and had pics of it on the course. I have some of those sitting around in a box somewhere.

Haven't heard from Ran in six or seven years. Last time I saw him he was kicking and stirring up trouble as usual. For a while he had an internet website where he was selling his air racing photos. Don't know if it's still up and running or not.

Speeddemon

Comment

P-61

I know the P-61 was extremely maneuverable for it's size, but can you imagine with the weight of those two big engines out there and balance weight, what a turning radius it would have at 500 MPH? Deadline? It would be lucky if it could swing around the parking lot or stay in the valley!
                            We would finally be on the inside of the course tho....
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Re: Twin-nami

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
                              I'd wondered about a "Twin-nami." Two Tsunami fuselages in an F-82 Twin Mustang configuration.
                              How about Griffon powered Dual-Tsunami!

**admin note**
                              We have recieved a complaint from Scott Germain, who's website was apparantly the source of the photo used for this illistration. For this reason, we have decided that it was in the best interest of all to remove the image.
                              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                              X