Stead Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stead Improvements

Yesterday's Reno Gazzette-Journal detailed the expansion of Reno-Stead Airport. The southwest-northeast runway is being reworked and extended to 9000' and an instrument landing system installed. Work is in progress.
    In addition an attempt will be made to develop more of the airport property (about 150 acres) and entice more tenants.
    All is being done with preservation of the Air Races in mind, according to the article.

Leo
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

one word

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Sounds pretty reasonable. If you look at the "laws of inevitability" sooner or later, that area is going to get developed, one way or another... The way this article reads to me, it would seem that the local "powers-that-be" have the interest of the races, as well as the community in mind.

Looking at a half full glass out of this, geez, maybe even some sponsorship could be netted from the new tennants, whomever they might turn out to be.

More business into the airport could also mean more dollars for the existing tennants who provide aviation services.. for instance, John Parker, who relies on prop balancing and some other specialties, beyond his kit building business, of course, for his daily bread and butter..

This all could be a very good thing in the end. Opening access to the infield, *could* make the "talked about" prospect of having some fan areas in there a reality at some point. It is, after all, MUCH safer to be *inside* a pylon than outside..

All of the above is purely optimistic speculation, but it does look good to me.

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

improvements

I've seen these things backfire before, but it is so nice to hear something positive after all the negative about the future of the races. As I see it, more money at the airport and more use can only mean good things.

Leo
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Re: Stead Improvements

Originally posted by Leo
          The southwest-northeast runway is being reworked and extended to 9000'
          Leo
          Oh my god....NOW what are David Price and Sherman Smoot going to do? :-)

Comment

Longer runway

).
            Oh my god....NOW what are David Price and Sherman Smoot going to do?
            Not have to go four wheeling.
            Yea, gonna miss that dust cloud (sorry, bad joke). I'm sure they will appreciate the extra room tho, and it should make it a lot safer.
            And if Tiger comes back, the surface will be kept well oiled (sorry again).

Leo
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Oh, speculation!!!!!!

If that runway is going to have an ILS system, I wonder if the Air Guard unit at Reno's other airport will be moved to Stead?

Reever

Comment

Find the flubs

After reading the article, which sounds on balance to be good news for those rooting for the continuation of air racing at Reno-Stead (huzzah!), I followed a link to this photo taken during race week last year:

Q: How many errors might they be able to pack into a single caption, if they were really trying?
                SteveZ

Comment

Mistakes?

Where? Impossible! The press is purfict!
                  That was one of the pictures printed in the RGJ. Was good for a chuckle at the time.
                  Tho the Warlock crew might like an Unlimited T-6...

Leo
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

mistake or not that is a cool picture
                    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Re: Find the flubs

Originally posted by Kilo Hotel
                      After reading the article, which sounds on balance to be good news for those rooting for the continuation of air racing at Reno-Stead (huzzah!), I followed a link to this photo taken during race week last year:

Q: How many errors might they be able to pack into a single caption, if they were really trying?
                      Looking East, that moon would be rising.
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

moon

No, No!
                        You've got it wrong.
                        The moon is'nt rising, the horizon is moving down!

Leo
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X