PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme Air racing availability

Gilles Maltais
02-17-2004, 03:38 PM
I would like to know where can I get Xtreme Air Racing simulator since there are no answers from their website.

Thanks !

Gilles Maltais
maltais@cybernaute.com

AAFO_WSagar
02-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Giles, you should be able to order the early version from their website. They sold the rights to the software though and it's available at places like Fry's and other over-the-counter software outlets.. The two versions are different, though I can't say in what ways since I've not seen either the last version from Victory or the version that is currently available at stores.

Hope that helps.

Wayne

Unregistered
02-17-2004, 04:42 PM
There is a different, newer version of EAR available????

Victor Archer
02-17-2004, 08:29 PM
You can usually find it on ebay.

AirDOGGe
02-18-2004, 11:45 PM
There is a different, newer version of EAR available????

XAR-2 added other races besides the unlimiteds, but otherwise it's pretty close to version one.

To learn more, go to google and search under
REDLINE XTREME AIR RACING

Daiwa
04-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Can't comment about Redline from personal experience, but reviews have been pretty bad. XAR was maturing by version 1.032 into a pretty damn good racing & flight sim (ignoring some of the sound issues). It's a shame it has been sold to a company that appears much less interest in developing its potential. Also a shame that a dedicated support forum for the original version has been lost. 1.032 is already a gas to fly, so we'll just have to be content with what we've got while we mourn the opportunities missed, I guess. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Daiwa

AAFO_WSagar
04-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Can't comment about Redline from personal experience, but reviews have been pretty bad. XAR was maturing by version 1.032 into a pretty damn good racing & flight sim (ignoring some of the sound issues). It's a shame it has been sold to a company that appears much less interest in developing its potential. Also a shame that a dedicated support forum for the original version has been lost. 1.032 is already a gas to fly, so we'll just have to be content with what we've got while we mourn the opportunities missed, I guess. :rolleyes:
Diawa, well, what happened was.. *we* the fans, didn't support Victory Sims.. well, that's a bit harsh, *WE* did, but, flight simmers didn't, at least in numbers enough to make it a go for Pat and the company.

Had Mattel have stuck with it, with a full on funded project, it would have hit the market fully ready. As it was, a LOT of effort went into getting it as good as possible. I personally helped assemble a LOT of photos to get a highly accurate rendering of some of the last planes to go in. Strega was "repainted" and Critical Mass was not only repainted, Pat and, well.. myself, worked with the artist and reworked it to look more like the real plane.

I just spoke with Pat yesterday and he asked that I pull the plug on xtremeairracing.com, as well as victorysims.com, which I did.. for now, to keep them from resolving to a log in page, they resolve to this website, which, I'm pretty sure you already know.

As for the dedicated support forum, I guess I can take the blame for that one going away. Pat had the site hosted with me since the inception and when we had to move servers, it was just impossible to get it working again on the new one and, since the company had already folded, Pat did not want to spend the money necessary to get it working again with different software..

It is, indeed, a sad thing that we had an air racing flight sim that could have matured into a fantastic product.. One thing though, if you have a copy, it's still there. I just don't know if they ever fixed the one thing that I really wanted, easily configured and usable multiplayer..

Please feel free to populate this message board, if you like, I'll even open up a "legacy" section for the "leftover" Xtreme Air Racers out there..

I only wish that Pat had not basically lost his shirt on his dream.. the race fans really didn't let him down, the bottom dropped out of the flight sim market and that's just the reality of the situation... sad but, very true...

Wayne

Daiwa
04-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the background info, Wayne. It was clear VS was struggling after awhile and it is a real shame if Pat took a bath on XAR - it was obviously a labor of love.

Also true that the number of folks participating in the forums appeared to be relatively small and dwindled from there. I imagine there are still some folks who have unresolved issues with installation or game play, though, who have continued to check back at the website as I have from time to time since the board went down. An XAR legacy support section here would be a very nice thing for you to do. At least some of us who have experience with the game might be able to help.

There was a lot of very useful info documented in some of those threads - if there was a technically-feasible way to do so, having access somehow to those would be a boon, though I realize that may not be possible.

XAR is still a ton of fun to fly - just glad I have the game and all the patches saved.

And thanks for the support you provided Pat & XAR. :cool:

Cheers,

Daiwa

Sryth
04-27-2004, 11:48 AM
hate to see XAR go I had such high hopes for it and what it could do for air racing in the flight sim community. Still the only sim I could find that could simulate wake turbulence during racing.

this is not ment to be a plug but for anyone that is looking for online air racing using Microsoft Flight Sim 2002 or 2004 visit http://srythshangar.lasthome.net its Home of VARO which has been trying to get air racing into the flight sim community for about 3 years now.

DPK2
04-28-2004, 05:57 AM
Seeing this thread reminded me how much fun the Xtreme racing game is. I have not played mine in a good while. I loved the game when it would work but I always had lots of trouble with it crashing (locking up) and other bugs. I don't know what version I have. I assume it is one of the early ones. I tried to update a good while back from the website but for some reason my game would not accept it.

If there is a way to update it and make it more playable I would love to do so. It really is a great game with lots of potential.

David

DPK2
04-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Please excuse the typo in the post above "accidenting ". After re-reading the post I don't even know what I was trying to type! I was talking to someone in my office and typing at the same time. I guess I should have just said "crashing"!

David

DPK2
04-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Thats wierd. The post above changed my text when I submitted it. Does the server automatically change the word that describes an aircraft meeting the earth in an unusual manner into "accidenting"?

David

AAFO_WSagar
04-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Thats wierd. The post above changed my text when I submitted it. Does the server automatically change the word that describes an aircraft meeting the earth in an unusual manner into "accidenting"?

DavidYea... it is weird... but it's earthly.... the "other word" is a "stop word" and it causes google to put up public service ads... I was playing with ways to get the board to change things to more acceptable terms and forgot to change it back...

my bad..

Wayne

streakeagle
04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
[edit]I didn't see my first post go through so I had already typed this one. I will let this one stand as well since it is slightly more coherent. I can't delete the other one :(

I have patiently checked the XAR website for months (a year?) wating for the message board to return as promised. Today I found this.

Blame for the failure of XAR rests squarely on the shoulders of Victory Simulations.

Everyone one who tried XAR could see the game had great potential, but VS never delivered. Multiplayer is broke to this day (unless XAR2 fixed it?), which is possibly the biggest reason why XAR never caught on. The graphics and flight models were far from inspiring compared to its contemporaries. XAR2 screenshots look identical to XAR, which is a shame. On top of everything else, the early buyers never got their promised free bonus addons (now being sold as XAR2) and VS continued to hint on the message boards that some sort of progress was still being made. Support was ignored by VS and primarily provided by other generous users such as Daiwa for at least a year.

The bottom didn't fall out of the flight sim market. The bottom fell out of the unsupported, incomplete, outdated, broken multiplayer flight sim market.

IL-2 has sold like hotcakes, as well as its follow-on IL-2 FB, with a Pacific Battles version on the way.

LOMAC has certainly filled a whole in the hardcore jetsim market left by the collapse of Jane's titles.

MS continues to prove if you dump money into marketing and graphics, you can sell the same software for years: FS2xxx and CFS x.

Don't get me wrong. I liked XAR. But I will only buy XAR 2 when I find it in a bargain bin for less than $10 since it is only a long overdue addon to the XAR which I bought for full price.

Daiwa
04-28-2004, 05:50 PM
David -

If you are interested & have some time, I can probably help get the game patched up & running again, but I would need some more information. First of all, you would need to launch the game, select a pilot & get to the *home* screen, the one that has the six graphic panels including one labeled *Setup*. In the upper right corner of that screen you'll see the Xtreme Air Racing logo. The original version will have no version number right under the logo, but all the subsequent versions will show a version number in white letters just below that logo.

Feel free to drop me an email with what you see (or don't see) on that screen & we can go from there. The process is tedious & time-consuming but the results are worth it if you really enjoy the sim. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Daiwa

Daiwa
04-28-2004, 06:29 PM
StreakEagle -

My heart wants to cut the VS folks some slack, since they did some great stuff early and had improved the game a lot by 1.032, but I have to agree with you. The way we were led on & hung out to dry, so to speak, has left a very bitter taste. And even minimally acceptable technical support was virtually non-existent - you just had to be lucky enough to read the boards at the right time.

While I haven't purchased XAR2, I have read several reviews, all of them bad I'm afraid. It still doesn't have a workable on-line multiplayer mode. The retail version of XAR1 (eGames 1.04 version) has the GameSpy Arcade tie-in, but I don't know if it ever really worked - never could find anyone in the *lobby* to play with. There also is apparently no way to turn off the announcer in XAR2 except to mute your speakers - not a good thing. It reportedly has some Formula 1's, however, and I was definitely looking forward to seeing what flying those is like. I also plan to wait for it to show up in the $9.95 clearance bin, though.

I admit you have to *really* want to fly this sim to put up with its quirks & slow loads, but none of the above lessens the enjoyment of XAR1 once you're flying.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Matt58
04-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know if they make that game for the Playstation 2?

AAFO_WSagar
04-29-2004, 01:54 PM
[edit]I didn't see my first post go through so I had already typed this one. I will let this one stand as well since it is slightly more coherent. I can't delete the other one :(You posted unregged, they go into a moderation bin, by the time I "moderated" it, you'd posted again, subsequently, I deleted the first one for you

Blame for the failure of XAR rests squarely on the shoulders of Victory Simulations.

Streakeagle, if you only knew the full story.... It was nothing short of a miracle that what did finally get to market did get to market. When Mattel bailed on Victory and XAR, it took all of Pat Hunt's personal resources to "chase the dream" of seeing his "baby" get to production. Seriously, it was done out of pocket and pretty much broke him in the process.

The game was finished by mostly one guy with the help of others providing artwork, but the programming was all a one man show once Mattel bowed out.

The intent was to get it totally polished and out the door, obviously, if fell somewhat short of that but when it shipped, it was pretty much "do or die" ...

Other sim makers have a lot of bux behind them, Victory did not. The concept of an air racing sim was just about as hard to sell to anyone as is real air racing as a valid motorsport when trying to obtain sponsorship.. that's just how it fell down..

Placing blame is not really in order in this case.. we got what we got and I guess, I feel we should appreciate that it ever left the drawing board in the first place..

As far as I know, the multiplayer thing never did get totally worked out. Apparantly, it worked fine over a lan and that was the only means for testing that was available to the programmer.. I never got to try it, over a lan or otherwise.. In fact, I never actually got to fly the "finished" version.. too little time and a joystick that was/is incompatible with later versions of Windoze...

Wayne

Daiwa
04-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Matt58 -

I'm almost certain it is only available for the PC platform. :(

Daiwa

AirDOGGe
04-30-2004, 03:33 AM
As much as I love the sim, the three items that turned me off were the ultra-slow start-ups for each race, and the fact that the planes would all remain in a tight group (flock?), rather than spread out as the laps progressed. Real races (planes, cars, boats etc.), and pretty much every race sim I have tried don't have that flaw. Even the real T-6 races with closely matched planes don't stay bunched up like the unlimiteds in XAR do. it may have been an intentional characteristic by the programmer(s), but it didn't suit me.

The third item was the fact that you could not replay career races (only single stand-alone races). many times I went down from a mid-air collision and could not replay the race to see what happened and/or why. I found that strange.

But hey, XAR is probably as close to real circuit air racing as we will get for quite some time (the "air race" add-on for microsoft flight sim was a REAL bummer in comparison).

So I must say 'thank you" for providing us with what we did received....A valiant effort....

(A real nice feature could have been to follow the lead of many successful car race games.....include a paint shop and let users design their own plane paint schemes....)

AAFO_WSagar
04-30-2004, 03:43 AM
But hey, XAR is probably as close to real circuit air racing as we will get for quite some time (the "air race" add-on for microsoft flight sim was a REAL bummer in comparison).

So I must say 'thank you" for providing us with what we did received....A valiant effort....

(A real nice feature could have been to follow the lead of many successful car race games.....include a paint shop and let users design their own plane paint schemes....) Air Doggie... (you guys are gonna think I live at my computer... err... sometimes I think I do!!) actually, I'm up working on a project that absolutely has to be there... err.. tomorrow.. well.. by Monday anyway.. I get email notices when posts come in... so... back to on subject...

It is really sad that the funding to do this project never materialized! Pat had visions of doing a TON of things with it.. including a paint shop... and, design shop, where you could mix and match components and come up with your very own custom combo... I spent hours on the phone and in person with Pat talking about what *could* be done.. the bottom line was.. well, the bottom line..

Again, once Mattel dropped it, it was simply a matter of Pat's drive to see it through that made it happen. Trust me when I say, it just wasn't his fault. He did what he could, hoping for enough sales of the game to fund improvements and future versions.. Investment capitol is just not there for something thought of as much of a "niche" as was/is an air race sim..

Wasn't/isn't perfect but may well, indeed, be the best thing, and closest thing we ever see. The folks that bought the rights to it will probably not put any development into it, for the same reasons that capitol was hard to get to finish it in the first place.. it's a NICHE that nobody wants to spend money on. That is the dilemma of air racing and funding.

May change someday, certainly a bunch of people have spent a ton of money and time to see that it does..

Cross fingers and hope!

Wayne

Sryth
04-30-2004, 07:59 AM

Real circuit racing http://srythshangar.lasthome.net we build our own microsoft flight sim addons and race every week.

Race 29
04-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Well, three cheers to Pat Hunt! Even with all the quirks, we still have something better than if he never chased his dream (mine too). I was one of the first purchasers of XAR, waited a year to get it, got less than what I was promised, and was disapointed with the graphics. All that never stopped me from many hours of enjoyment. It was obvious from the start that VS didn't have mega-buck backers. Ya gotta take it for what it was. An air racing simulation that's as closer to the real Reno than any other game. EA's NASCAR series has much better graphics, but it's still NASCAR!

Race 29

AAFO_WSagar
04-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Well, three cheers to Pat Hunt! Even with all the quirks, we still have something better than if he never chased his dream (mine too). I was one of the first purchasers of XAR, waited a year to get it, got less than what I was promised, and was disapointed with the graphics. All that never stopped me from many hours of enjoyment. It was obvious from the start that VS didn't have mega-buck backers. Ya gotta take it for what it was. An air racing simulation that's as closer to the real Reno than any other game. EA's NASCAR series has much better graphics, but it's still NASCAR!

Race 29Two Nine.. actually the graphics *were* pretty good but, it was optimized for the old Voodoo chip cards. I guess later versions had optimization for whatever we're using now (Nvida?) but with the Voodoo 5500 that I had, with the AA set to high, the graphics were absolutely amazing.

Not that detailed mind you, but then, if you've been around Nevada long enough, you know that it's not too detailed there either ;)

One thing that really got me, when Pat and I visited Lyle right after it released, or actually, just before it released, we brought him a copy.. He (Lyle) is an AVID flight simmer (believe it or not) and when we loaded it up on his computer, first thing he said was "that looks about like my panel" then... as he flew the course, he commented about pylon four "ahh, you guys have the pylon in the wrong place, it's further up the hill..." I reminded him that they had moved it down into the valley since he'd last flown it and he just smiled..

It was that accurate, as to the layout at least.. He talked his way around the course just like he was on it.. They really did nail the course down tight... it wasn't perfect but it was a HUGE leap from anything before it and, unfortunately, will probably be about as good as we ever get... :mad:

Wayne

Daiwa
04-30-2004, 06:02 PM
About the graphic quality - it actually got pretty good by version 1.031. Orders of magnitude better than 1.02. And with the in-game quality setting on high, it's quite good on a current nVidia or ATI card with at least 64MB VRAM. Admittedly, it's not high-res detail and the scene transitions are not as smooth as you might like, especially on some of the over-water tracks (things kind of pop into view, rather than materialize), but then you're supposed to be whippin by everything at 300mph+ anyway, which would normally blur things a bit, not to mention Voodoo's oil all over your canopy from the first-lap jockeying. :D

Cheers,

Daiwa

AAFO_WSagar
04-30-2004, 06:09 PM
LOL.. I had a dinasour Voodoo card, and that was the format that it was originally written for. Unfortunately, Voodoo had gone out of business and the technology of their chip was buried by Nivida after they bought them out, so, the video stuff had to be rewritten.. It was WONDERFUL for those of us running the old Voodoo cards at the time. I remember seeing screenies taken elsewhere and I could not imagine why it looked so bad, with the Voodoo, I'd never seen such good airplane graphics.. I had one beef, and it's always seemed to be this way with the sims I've flown, the ground rush was pretty nonexistant.. Now if you moved your view waay back in the cockpit, it got pretty reasonable but in normal view, the ground did not move fast enough..

*sigh* wish they could have kept at it!

Wayne

Daiwa
04-30-2004, 07:12 PM
I have no technical basis for making any judgements, and I never saw any games run on a Voodoo card (the Voodoo I was referring to in my post, of course, was Race 55), but I've read many times what a great gaming card it was, and still is for many devoted enthusiasts, a few of whom continue to develop drivers for it. I get the feeling it was the Betamax to nVidia & ATI's VHS - much better quality & speed, much less in the way of backing & user base. I've seen lots of comments about what a shame it was nVidia didn't embrace it rather than buy it just to kill a competitor. There may be technical reasons why that sentiment is way off base, for all I know, but makes for a good story. Won't be too long until they vanish, though, as people steadily migrate to newer, incompatible hardware. C'est la computer vie. :sad:

Cheers,

Daiwa

AAFO_WSagar
04-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Yep, I had to get rid of mine when I built a new puter, it was not compatible with the new MB... so, g'by... I did get a very good graphic card (better be, cost me enough!) I got the ATI all in wonder 9800 pro.. I wanted something that, if I ever find the time, would allow me to transfer my old Reno Hi8 video tapes onto disk.. I've got some neat old stuff.. Have not watched much of it in years, most of it, never.. just shot it and put it away.

I actually got tired of viewing the races from behind a camera.. hummn.. seems I still do that most of the time ;)

I'm sure the one I have now would make a great gaming vid card.. Would that I ever have time to use it for such! I'm also stuck now with no gaming port and a considerable investment in a HOTAS throttle, stick and pedals setup that will not work with current stuff.. (no drivers being made anymore)... not gonna go that route again. Sucks that companys can just abandon legacy hardware that cost an arm and a leg!

Wayne

Daiwa
04-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Wayne -

FWIW, a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D USB stick works very well for XAR and is pretty darn cheap. I'd love to have a full-on set of controls, too, since it would create a more realistic experience & be more fun (I have a helluva time avoiding applying rudder with the stick), but I've been leery of the same potential problem - nice hardware from a defunct company. I also seem to remember a bunch of :mad2: posts about problems getting anything more complicated than a joystick to work with XAR, anyway.

Cheers & Happy Flying,

Daiwa

AAFO_WSagar
04-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Wayne -

FWIW, a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D USB stick works very well for XAR and is pretty darn cheap. I'd love to have a full-on set of controls, too, since it would create a more realistic experience & be more fun (I have a helluva time avoiding applying rudder with the stick), but I've been leery of the same potential problem - nice hardware from a defunct company. I also seem to remember a bunch of :mad2: posts about problems getting anything more complicated than a joystick to work with XAR, anyway.

Cheers & Happy Flying,

DaiwaI think I actually was able to get my CH stuff working with XAR, pedals worked and throttle worked, what the problem was the keyboard programing with the buttons. It would crash the computer ever time. Never did figure it out, CH just told me to buy a new throttle.. yea.. right.. In my "air combat" days with sims, it was cool having almost everything at your fingertips. I spent WAY too much time at that venture! It was fun tho.. I'm not sure that a PCI gamecard would not allow me to plug in all that stuff again with limited functionality. Time will not allow it tho!

Wayne

AirDOGGe
04-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Don't get me wrong. Despite my beefs about a few items, I love the game/sim and fly it all the time.

I'm using a Voodoo-5 5500 videocard in a 1-ghz pentium 3 for XAR-1, and the graphics are quite nice and framerates fast and smooth.....no complaints there. All my graphics settings are on high detail.

For control I have a gameport CH-products 4-button F-16 fighterstick...It felt better than any of the sticks available when I bought it many years ago....

(I'll check out that site Sryth....thanx for the link :D )

AAFO_WSagar
05-01-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm using a Voodoo-5 5500 videocard in a 1-ghz pentium 3 for XAR-1, and the graphics are quite nice and framerates fast and smooth.....no complaints there. All my graphics settings are on high detail.

For control I have a gameport CH-products 4-button F-16 fighterstick...It felt better than any of the sticks available when I bought it many years ago.... )Airdoggie,

That's exactly the system I just replaced. Actually for most stuff I did, day to day, it worked well for me, when I processed big images for prints and such, well.. just wasn't enough!

I had the fighter stick or combat stick, had a bunch of buttons, some programable. Then the throttle thing with a TON of programable buttons and it also would program some of the joystick buttons. That and the pro pedals... all gameport. Dunno if you actually could run a game card on a P4 system?

It'd sure scream on this new box! P4 2.6 GHz 1Gb sync ram, nasty fast machine! Begs for a game or three on it but.. I actually hate sitting in front of the computer anymore..

I *HAVE* to spend too much time here already.

Fun is now kickin back with the GF toasting the sunset!

Wayne

Daiwa
05-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Dunno if you actually could run a game card on a P4 system?

Not so much the processor that's the problem, more the OS. Something changed in Win2K & XP that rendered soundcard gameport controls kaput - the makers of gameport gear haven't bothered providing drivers for Win2K or XP, apparently because it can't be done (or they wanted drive new stick sales... nah, they'd never do that). It's all USB now.

As for the Voodoo cards, I think they stopped making them before the transition to the AGP graphic standard & they may all be PCI. On the other hand, seems motherboard makers are transitioning now to the new PCI Express standard, which may include support for legacy PCI cards, which could get Voodooo cards back in some high-speed rigs - would just need the OS video drivers. But I could be wrong - there might be some other technical hurdles to getting them working on newer boards that can't be overcome.

Cheers,

Daiwa

AirDOGGe
05-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Something changed in Win2K & XP that rendered soundcard gameport controls kaput

Might be something between the newer OS and the pentium 4's.....I'm running XP pro on my Pent-3, and the gameport works fine. Also, my stick is an analog 4-button model, not a digital version, so that may be the source of the trouble. Digital game controllers tend to be more sensitive about drivers. I have yet to try a digital stick with XP..

As for the Voodoo cards, I think they stopped making them before the transition to the AGP graphic standard & they may all be PCI.

No. They had AGP versions way back when I had my Voodoo2 card 5 years ago....I think the AGP slots appeared when Pentium-2 machines came about (and 3DFX voodoo cards were the best you could find). My current Voodoo5 is AGP.

You can get updated drivers for voodoo videocards at: http://www.voodoofiles.com

Daiwa
05-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Shows you what I know. MOTS - never listen to an amateur. :D

Cheers,

Daiwa

Race 29
05-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Wayners,
I should have clarified my "graphics" beef. Everything looked pretty great, Except for the aircraft, which still weren't all that bad. I've gotten used to the exacting detail of alot of the MSFS designers, and now I'm just a little spoiled! The layout of the course does seem very real, and the view from the cockpit is the best that I've seen. I was only a little disapointed by the anhedral of the wings on the mustang, main gear perpendicular to the ground when parked, too small cowling, etc. Minor, minor, minor complaints. I really do love the game, and if Pat's around in September I'll buy him a few beers! XAR is still way better than what anyone has done with MSFS. Varo has done a decent job, but their course is WAY to small. You pretty much bank the plane 90 degrees to the left and pull back on the stick and hope you make the pylon. MSFS doesn't allow the kind of view out of the cockpit that you need for that tight of a course.

Off this subject, but still in the thread: I used the Logitec digital wingman and loved it till I wore it out! I now use the Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick. I don't recommend it! So far it's wearing out faster than the wingman, and it shuts down after 1.5 minutes of non-use. In MSFS, if you set up a flight from point A to point B, It will shut down. When this happens, your throttle goes full bore. You can't set your RPM's at any certain setting for more than 1.5 minutes unless your constantly playing with it to keep it "awake". Just my .02.

Race 29

streakeagle
05-02-2004, 07:02 AM
I still have a P3 1GHz Win98SE system operational with a Voodoo 5500. Perhaps the best way to play XAR1.

I can play XAR1 on WinXP with a Radeon 9800 Pro, but it :cword:es periodically. At most one race before a accident.

DPK2
05-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Strike Eagle / Daiwa,

I am also running XP with a Radeon card. I think it is the 9800 but not the pro. I am using CH pedals and flight stick for controls. Mine also locks up frequently. I am using version 1.02 of Xtreme air racing.

Daiwa - I emailed you my info this morning. Any help\ideas to make the game run smoother would be great!

Thanks,

David

Sryth
05-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Varo has done a decent job, but their course is WAY to small. You pretty much bank the plane 90 degrees to the left and pull back on the stick and hope you make the pylon. MSFS doesn't allow the kind of view out of the cockpit that you need for that tight of a course.
Race 29

Which one there are 4 with different lengths. You should also try pulling your zoom back to .50 or in 2k4 .75. Helps a lot with seeing the pylons. But you are right MSFS doesn't really cater to air racing but we are doing our best and working around a lot of the issues.

If you are looking for long courses. KMSO is around 10 miles, KMHV is 8 and KDVT is somewhere in there as well. Now KMQJ is different. At VARO we are trying to make air racing a little more interesting not just floor it and turn anyone can do that. At KMQJ you have to slow down on the back side to make the turn. Seems to make for an interesting race and requires a lot more skill. We are also building a Reno replica that will be as close as I can get it to reality specially since its already in MSFS2k4.

Race 29
05-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Ahhhhh, you have to slow down during a race. I should have known. :D Now I can see the challenge of the course. I really just got used to the XAR course and compaired yours to their's. I've tried to change the zoom value but it really distorts everything. Believe me, I'm not knocking your efforts at all! I'm really thankfull your there. You've designed an online air racing competition, what could be better than that?! Also, the repaints of Roger Dial's P-51 are fantastic.

Race 29

Sryth
05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the praise. The Roger Dial Mustangs is great but my only gripe was that its really not a racing mustang. It a stock mustang, no clipped wings, stock canopy etc. Thats why I made the Racer package. 3 racing aircraft. A bearcat modeled after Rare Bear, a Mustang thats based on Dago Red and a Seafury that looks like good old Dreadnought. All with individual flight models that will hit abot 520 mph. VARO is now completly custom built. We have our own F1 and of course the Racers. I will admit though Roger Dial's mustang helped jump start VARO's air racing.

One question though what website are you going to Race 29. We don't have any RD P-51 skins available anymore. Our current site is http://srythshangar.lasthome.net much improved over any of our older sites.

Unregistered
05-04-2004, 10:02 AM
I've heard rumors of an updated version of XAR being released under the name "Reno Racer" by Silicon Studios...word is Patrick Hunt is connected with the project as well...but I'm having a hard time finding any additional information, either on the company or the game itself...can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance...

-T

Race 29
05-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Sryth,
I don't remember which web site I got the repaints from. I thought it was your's as there were some really good screen shots of past races. I've got your modified Mustang, Bearcat, and F-1. The flight dynamics need a little tweeking, but I'm not complaining. I've had the same complaints about RD's Mustang (Too Stock). It would be great if there were a model of Tsunami, MAII, Red Baron, Dago, etc. I've tried my hand at designing airplanes for MSFS, but I just don't have the talent. Therefore I can't really complain too much about what's available.

Race 29

Unregistered
05-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Well seems like you may have been to another site or haven't been to our current site recenty(http://srythshangar.lasthome.net) Anyway, Our current racing mustang that is part of the VARO Racer Vol 1 is basically Dago,Strega and the old Voodoo rolled into once(since they basically came out of the same speed shop) I am currently working on the following aircraft, pond racer,tsunami, redbarron. They will be released around july. As for tweaks to the flight dynamics I understand where you are coming from the main problem is MSFS. I wasn't designed to do anything really outside the standard flight envelope so we have to modify the flight dynamics to get the specs close. So if you do feel the need to complain send it the MSFS development.

Race 29
05-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Sryth,
No complaints here! The limitations of MSFS have been well documented. That is so cool that you are working on all the other racers! I can't wait to see and fly those!

Race 29

Unregistered
05-09-2004, 10:11 AM
You mentioned MissAII, I have been wanting to build the aircraft but haven't been able to get any 3view drawings. If you know where there are any please pass on the word. Although i guess I could create my own using a mustang and then add on some lear wings. Still need some good reference photos though.

streakeagle
06-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I just got my copy of Redline XAR2 yesterday for $15 (10 + shipping)...

There are some improvements not mentioned in reviews:
1600x1200 resolution is now available
higher resolution textures

All I have done is do a free flight with Strega, but just the two improvements listed above were pretty nice. When I get more time, I will do a better comparison.

What I really want to know is if the game now supports 8 online players at the same time.

I hope more people get this version as it falls into the bargain bin since it appears to finally fulfill the promise of the original XAR with T-6 and F1 racing plus a greater variety of tracks. I am not a big fan of the "combat racing", but having more options never hurts sales, so I am not against it.

streakeagle
06-05-2004, 06:36 AM
Finally got some racing time in...

Redline appears to have finally reached the full potential of XAR.
I only noticed two glitches:

1. The announcer doesn't call the aircraft order correctly (i.e. I take the lead and he calls some other aircraft's name as leader). No biggie since I normally run with the announcer off.

2. The refresh rate appears to be locked at 60. I much prefer 85, which my monitor does easily at 1600x1200. I don't know how to get the game to play at a different refresh rate with OpenGL. No biggie either.

Daiwa
06-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Streakeagle -

There is a simple registry tweak that will lock the monitor refresh rate independent of apps or video drivers. Just need to be sure to pick a rate that the monitor can handle. Here's a link to an article explaining how to do it:

http://www.ntcompatible.com/story.php?id=14749

It was originally posted as a Win2K fix, but I'd bet it works in XP if that happens to be your OS.

And I'm glad to hear some good news about Redline. The only reviews I've found were decidedly negative, and pointed out the lack of synchronization of the announcing. One even indicated GBJ couldn't be turned off, but it sounds like that option is still available in Setup. Might have to go looking for XAR2 soon.

Cheers,

Daiwa

streakeagle
06-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Since the price has dropped down so low, I fear it will disappear off the market... so I made sure to get it.

The announcers can be set to 0 volume... same as turning them off ;)

Default is for GBJ on loud, RA Hoover at 0.

People doing the reviews just don't know enough about the game. If Redline would get a patch for its minor hiccups, I would say Victory Sims finally made good, though there original early bird customers deserve a free copy to truly make good.

Daiwa
06-06-2004, 10:02 AM
You're right about the reviewers - I could tell they were *gamers* as opposed to air racing enthusiasts. Your *review* means a lot more. :thumbsup:

Hope the refresh rate fix works out.

Cheers,

DE

Daiwa
06-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Streakeagle -

Mind sharing where you located XAR2 online? I'm having trouble finding it at any price.

Thanks,

Daiwa

Brewski
06-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Ebay currently has 5 games listed. Listed for $11.99 plus $4.95 s&h. Sounds like a good deal to me....

streakeagle
06-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Go to Froogle and type in Redline Xtreme Air Racing to get a lot of options :)

Based on those listings I chose to go here:
JR.com (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Product_Code=ENI+XTREMEAIR&JRSource=google.datafeed.ENI+XTREMEAIR)

AirDOGGe
06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
http://www.outpost.com still has XAR-1 for $9.99 (visit the site and search under "air racing").

Amazon.com says they have a few copies of version 2 for two cents cheaper!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DBK2E/104-7273673-9420763?vi=pictures

chiaradanili
01-16-2006, 03:02 AM
hi!
i'm chiara, form Milan (Italy).
I need an information:
i'd like to better know the extreme air show world: what is behind it, a philosophy, a community, or what else?
how many people are involved in it? which kind? young or trasversal target?
thank you so much
;)

Low-n-Slow
01-18-2006, 06:27 AM
hi chiara

Sadly, Xtreme Air Racing appears to have pretty much died out - the fate of aging software.

There is a small group of us working (slowly - volunteers - you get what you pay for ;) ) on developing a pylon racing mod for Targetware (http://www.targetware.net/).

If you are interested in the WWII Mediterranean campaign, you may also want to check out the Target Tobruk mod, being led by a team of Italian developers. Fiats, Macchis, Reggianes - all the planes you never get to see elsewhere.

cheers
Low

Unregistered
03-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Dear XAR fans,

The programmers that developed XAR have formed a new company. We're coming out with a new version that has air racing in Las Vegas area called Thunder over Vegas - Unlimited Air Racing. Should be out this summer. Also have USAF Thunderbirds game coming out. Also have some copies of XAR if anyone is interested. Thanks, Pat Hunt, patrickhunt@cox.net

tequilasunrise
03-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey - that sounds like good news Pat :thumbsup:

Look forward to seeing it :)

RAD2LTR
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Is it possible to find this game anymore? I'd like to get a copy but it seems to have vanished from everywhere. :dunno: I tried ebay, amazon, and all other potential places.
Thanks,
Will

streakeagle
03-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Sorry I didn't get back on this sooner, but XAR 2 Redline is still available.
GoGamer.com is a great place to get it: low price, good shipping speed.
http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=4760845&extid=500000

RAD2LTR
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Sweet. I'll have to pick a copy up. :thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up.

Will