Xtreme Air racing availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xtreme Air racing availability

I would like to know where can I get Xtreme Air Racing simulator since there are no answers from their website.

Thanks !

Gilles Maltais
    maltais@cybernaute.com

Giles, you should be able to order the early version from their website. They sold the rights to the software though and it's available at places like Fry's and other over-the-counter software outlets.. The two versions are different, though I can't say in what ways since I've not seen either the last version from Victory or the version that is currently available at stores.

Hope that helps.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Xtreme Air Racing

There is a different, newer version of EAR available????

Comment

You can usually find it on ebay.
        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

There is a different, newer version of EAR available????
          XAR-2 added other races besides the unlimiteds, but otherwise it's pretty close to version one.

To learn more, go to google and search under
          REDLINE XTREME AIR RACING

Comment

Re: Xtreme Air racing availability

Can't comment about Redline from personal experience, but reviews have been pretty bad. XAR was maturing by version 1.032 into a pretty damn good racing & flight sim (ignoring some of the sound issues). It's a shame it has been sold to a company that appears much less interest in developing its potential. Also a shame that a dedicated support forum for the original version has been lost. 1.032 is already a gas to fly, so we'll just have to be content with what we've got while we mourn the opportunities missed, I guess.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

Originally posted by Daiwa
              Can't comment about Redline from personal experience, but reviews have been pretty bad. XAR was maturing by version 1.032 into a pretty damn good racing & flight sim (ignoring some of the sound issues). It's a shame it has been sold to a company that appears much less interest in developing its potential. Also a shame that a dedicated support forum for the original version has been lost. 1.032 is already a gas to fly, so we'll just have to be content with what we've got while we mourn the opportunities missed, I guess.
              Diawa, well, what happened was.. *we* the fans, didn't support Victory Sims.. well, that's a bit harsh, *WE* did, but, flight simmers didn't, at least in numbers enough to make it a go for Pat and the company.

Had Mattel have stuck with it, with a full on funded project, it would have hit the market fully ready. As it was, a LOT of effort went into getting it as good as possible. I personally helped assemble a LOT of photos to get a highly accurate rendering of some of the last planes to go in. Strega was "repainted" and Critical Mass was not only repainted, Pat and, well.. myself, worked with the artist and reworked it to look more like the real plane.

I just spoke with Pat yesterday and he asked that I pull the plug on xtremeairracing.com, as well as victorysims.com, which I did.. for now, to keep them from resolving to a log in page, they resolve to this website, which, I'm pretty sure you already know.

As for the dedicated support forum, I guess I can take the blame for that one going away. Pat had the site hosted with me since the inception and when we had to move servers, it was just impossible to get it working again on the new one and, since the company had already folded, Pat did not want to spend the money necessary to get it working again with different software..

It is, indeed, a sad thing that we had an air racing flight sim that could have matured into a fantastic product.. One thing though, if you have a copy, it's still there. I just don't know if they ever fixed the one thing that I really wanted, easily configured and usable multiplayer..

Please feel free to populate this message board, if you like, I'll even open up a "legacy" section for the "leftover" Xtreme Air Racers out there..

I only wish that Pat had not basically lost his shirt on his dream.. the race fans really didn't let him down, the bottom dropped out of the flight sim market and that's just the reality of the situation... sad but, very true...

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks for the background info, Wayne. It was clear VS was struggling after awhile and it is a real shame if Pat took a bath on XAR - it was obviously a labor of love.

Also true that the number of folks participating in the forums appeared to be relatively small and dwindled from there. I imagine there are still some folks who have unresolved issues with installation or game play, though, who have continued to check back at the website as I have from time to time since the board went down. An XAR legacy support section here would be a very nice thing for you to do. At least some of us who have experience with the game might be able to help.

There was a lot of very useful info documented in some of those threads - if there was a technically-feasible way to do so, having access somehow to those would be a boon, though I realize that may not be possible.

XAR is still a ton of fun to fly - just glad I have the game and all the patches saved.

And thanks for the support you provided Pat & XAR.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

hate to see XAR go I had such high hopes for it and what it could do for air racing in the flight sim community. Still the only sim I could find that could simulate wake turbulence during racing.

this is not ment to be a plug but for anyone that is looking for online air racing using Microsoft Flight Sim 2002 or 2004 visit http://srythshangar.lasthome.net its Home of VARO which has been trying to get air racing into the flight sim community for about 3 years now.

Comment

Seeing this thread reminded me how much fun the Xtreme racing game is. I have not played mine in a good while. I loved the game when it would work but I always had lots of trouble with it crashing (locking up) and other bugs. I don't know what version I have. I assume it is one of the early ones. I tried to update a good while back from the website but for some reason my game would not accept it.

If there is a way to update it and make it more playable I would love to do so. It really is a great game with lots of potential.

David

Comment

Please excuse the typo in the post above "accidenting ". After re-reading the post I don't even know what I was trying to type! I was talking to someone in my office and typing at the same time. I guess I should have just said "crashing"!

David

Comment

Thats wierd. The post above changed my text when I submitted it. Does the server automatically change the word that describes an aircraft meeting the earth in an unusual manner into "accidenting"?

David

Comment

Originally posted by DPK2
                          Thats wierd. The post above changed my text when I submitted it. Does the server automatically change the word that describes an aircraft meeting the earth in an unusual manner into "accidenting"?

David
                          Yea... it is weird... but it's earthly.... the "other word" is a "stop word" and it causes google to put up public service ads... I was playing with ways to get the board to change things to more acceptable terms and forgot to change it back...

my bad..

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

[edit]I didn't see my first post go through so I had already typed this one. I will let this one stand as well since it is slightly more coherent. I can't delete the other one

I have patiently checked the XAR website for months (a year?) wating for the message board to return as promised. Today I found this.

Blame for the failure of XAR rests squarely on the shoulders of Victory Simulations.

Everyone one who tried XAR could see the game had great potential, but VS never delivered. Multiplayer is broke to this day (unless XAR2 fixed it?), which is possibly the biggest reason why XAR never caught on. The graphics and flight models were far from inspiring compared to its contemporaries. XAR2 screenshots look identical to XAR, which is a shame. On top of everything else, the early buyers never got their promised free bonus addons (now being sold as XAR2) and VS continued to hint on the message boards that some sort of progress was still being made. Support was ignored by VS and primarily provided by other generous users such as Daiwa for at least a year.

The bottom didn't fall out of the flight sim market. The bottom fell out of the unsupported, incomplete, outdated, broken multiplayer flight sim market.

IL-2 has sold like hotcakes, as well as its follow-on IL-2 FB, with a Pacific Battles version on the way.

LOMAC has certainly filled a whole in the hardcore jetsim market left by the collapse of Jane's titles.

MS continues to prove if you dump money into marketing and graphics, you can sell the same software for years: FS2xxx and CFS x.

Don't get me wrong. I liked XAR. But I will only buy XAR 2 when I find it in a bargain bin for less than $10 since it is only a long overdue addon to the XAR which I bought for full price.
                            Last edited by streakeagle; 04-28-2004, 03:42 PM. Reason: accidental double post

Comment

David -

If you are interested & have some time, I can probably help get the game patched up & running again, but I would need some more information. First of all, you would need to launch the game, select a pilot & get to the *home* screen, the one that has the six graphic panels including one labeled *Setup*. In the upper right corner of that screen you'll see the Xtreme Air Racing logo. The original version will have no version number right under the logo, but all the subsequent versions will show a version number in white letters just below that logo.

Feel free to drop me an email with what you see (or don't see) on that screen & we can go from there. The process is tedious & time-consuming but the results are worth it if you really enjoy the sim.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

Working...
                              X