Coolest racer ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest racer ever?

I've been a regular "viewer" here for a while and decided to finally jump in with a question.......what aircraft in your opinion is the coolest racer to ever compete at Reno? Not necessarily the BEST.....but definitely the coolest.

The "Red Baron." Race 5! With the Griffon engine and the Michelob Light sponsorship paint scheme. That is the racer that has always captured my imagination.

Honorable mention to "Precious Metal." Race 09. (The Merlin version with the lowered canopy that was also used on "Risky Business."

Reever

Comment

I don't know how I would define "coolest" but I think the P-38s of Lefty Gardner and Gary Levitz were the coolest to me. I always loved the Lightnings []

My FAVORITE homebuilt was Tsunami (a Merlin-powered machine two-thirds the size of a Mustang).

The WILDEST was probably the Pond Racer.....Has to be seen to be believed...

The most FAMOUS would probably be Miss America, since I saw it as a kid in the early 70's as a COX control-line plane years before many of us ever knew the Reno Air Races even existed. Even people I know who never saw the races recognize it!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
        The WILDEST was probably the Pond Racer.....Has to be seen to be believed...
        More like heard to be believed! Lawnmower powered....

Comment

I'm torn between the beauty of Miss Ashley II, the highly developed Stilleto (What if Kerch managed this program today?) and the raw, kick-ass experience of Rare Bear.

But then there's..... That's why I LOVE Reno! Peas
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Ms. Ashley II with the Learjet wings!!

Comment

miss ashley two. in her final form. that was a very sad day.

Comment

I'd have to say MA2 also, as far as the coolest looking. I think it's right up there with the Pond Racer for looking like something from another planet. MA2 just looked like it was doing 500 MPH, even on the ground, but she had class too. Tipsy Miss, Red Baron with the Michelob paint, Tsunami with the orange paint, Sumpthin' Else with the white tail, and Specter all made the Honor roll.

What racer does everyone think had the best paint job?
                And don't just say Lickey splt and Miss Foxy Lady, 'cause they had nekked ladys on them!

I didn't need Playboy when I was a kid, I had AIR RACING!!
                Race 29
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Best paint job is easy.....the Signal Sea Fury/Miss Merced, with the white spinner.

Honorable mentions to Miss Candace/Jeannie, the original Precious Metal, and Risky Business for the mirror finish, as well as to Lancer Two for the best Kalifornia Kustom Kar paint scheme (Metallic Limefire Green, with red & gold trim). Finally, Miss Suzy Q...just because.

And in a category all it's own is that F-1 Cassutt racer from 1969 with the psychadelic checkerboard pattern. Far out, man.....

Comment

of course I gotta vote my Risky girl

Risky is getting redone, true..but she will be looking great when done ...once again.
                    Randy Rheinschild
                    www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

that green yak had a cool paint job, also furias when red and gold.

Comment

Speed,
                        Yeah, I guess I should have clarified. Either paint job, or lack of paint job. It's really tough to beat a polished mustang!

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

#1 - Rare Bear - The dopler sound of the Bear passing by is a sexual experience (I didn't make this up...a female friend of mine said that last year...LOL)

#2 - Pond Racer - It, too, sounded very cool... also looked like from another planet.

#3 - Conquest One - ha, I like Bearcats

#4 Tie - MA2 and Tsunami - Great potential cut short

Don

Comment

my favorite

looks a lot like this but has a big 4 on the tail.
                            Attached Files
                            ECVSteve
                            E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                            Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Best

The Rb-51 in 1979
                              Jeannie
                              Ma-2
                              Stilletto

Of course the best sounding has to be the Bear. Rumbles the ground for miles!
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X