Back From PDX: Hughes Racer Pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back From PDX: Hughes Racer Pix

Talk about information overload! I've just returned from my new "office" search up in PDX, with a stopover on the way up in Cottage Grove to visit Jim Wright and the crew working on the Hughes Racer and Mark D. has, very likely, MANY more than that of the Chino Air Show.. I've got a few of his images that came in via email and I'm sure once he gets back this evening, I'll have a lot more..

The Hughes report and pix should be up by tomorrow as well as the Chino feature.. We got some really good news comin! REALLY good!!

Ta whet yer Hughes Racer appetite...

And another.. Workin on some of Bear's Chino stuff.. We'll see how long I can stay awake tonight.. Long drive, long weekend "office" hunting..

Is that sucker slick or what! And think about this... this was about 1935! The US Army Air Corps fighters of the day were biplanes and made mostly of wood and fabric..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

man that looks long and lean.

Anyone know what kind of engine up front?? Looks like a double row radial, but with a two blade prop?????????????
    the other Wayne................

Comment

Originally posted by GWB
      man that looks long and lean.

Anyone know what kind of engine up front?? Looks like a double row radial, but with a two blade prop?????????????
      It's a Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp JR. I believe that is an R-1535.. From what I learned, it never was certified for use in the US but was an export engine.. Unfortunately, engine work was underway so Jim Wright and crew were unable to start it up for us, I did get to hear a tape of it running however and it sounded awesome. Unlike anything else I've ever heard..

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Anyone know if both sets of wings are being built? Hughs said that the longer wing did not change the performance of the plane. I wondered if they just built the longer one. If not both which one did they build? This is an amazing plane for its time. Very nice to look at too. They are sure doing a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB
          Anyone know if both sets of wings are being built? Hughs said that the longer wing did not change the performance of the plane. I wondered if they just built the longer one. If not both which one did they build? This is an amazing plane for its time. Very nice to look at too. They are sure doing a great job.
          Only one set of wings.. more info coming in the write up to accompany the photos that I gave up on last evening and am up early workin' on again this AM..

Wayne
          PS.. yes.. it is amazing and I took a lot of close detail photos for the builder types out there to drool over... I was so excited after I left that I even had to make a call to Bill Rogers to excitedly tell him of the quality build nearing completion in my "home" state!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I believe that is an R-1535.
            Thanks, it looked a little small to be an 1830.....
            the other Wayne................

Comment

Working...
            X