PDA

View Full Version : Flaps on F-1 racers ?

Jukka
10-05-2020, 02:44 AM
Arre flaps allowed in F-1 racers ?

Any kind of flaps ?

Jukka
10-06-2020, 01:25 AM
I was thinking about something like this...Bill Falck was a finnish born air racer.

Maybe the name has to be changed.

Jukka
10-24-2020, 10:39 PM
Mr. Creighton King (mr. Cassutt) told me the flying tail is not allowed in F1 racers...for a certain reason.

I wonder still how much more speed could be gained with a working t-tail with all flying elevator.

Anyone want to estimate it ?

Should it be investigated and implemented ?

Flaps are ok he told me.

Race5
11-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Mr. Creighton King (mr. Cassutt) told me the flying tail is not allowed in F1 racers...for a certain reason.

I wonder still how much more speed could be gained with a working t-tail with all flying elevator.

Anyone want to estimate it ?

Should it be investigated and implemented ?

Flaps are ok he told me.

Flap are legal, but completely unnecessary. They just add weight, drag, and complexity. Plus they don't work all that well. A full flying tail isn't needed either. Nothing to gain from it, and lots of down side. Thus the "reason".

First time Juke
11-10-2020, 03:12 AM
Flap are legal, but completely unnecessary. They just add weight, drag, and complexity. Plus they don't work all that well. A full flying tail isn't needed either. Nothing to gain from it, and lots of down side. Thus the "reason".

I see...in jets they ( stabilators ) can be much smaller than in GA planes.

I see no reason why a highly swept wing could't get benefit from all flying tail.

Can you enlighten why not ?

Oh sorry...you mean flaps...yes...they are legal....but all flying tail is apparently not ?

Why not ?