Finally Something on "Wildfire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Something on "Wildfire"

I'd heard a "tidbit" the other day about the airplane but was "sworn" to not say anything but.. the Wildfire Unlimited Air Racing Team has just put out a Press Release and we're pleased to share it with you (link on front page of website)

We'll watch this project as closely as time and budget allow...

Wayne

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

"Wildfire"

Isn't David Rose calling his "Mach Buster" offspring
    Unlimited racer "Wildfire" too???? Hmmmmmmmm.....RG
    Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
    RIP 03/17/10

Comment

all I know is based on the reports I heard from the flight characteristics of the original Wildfire (back in the early 80s I think), it was a squirrely bird and you'd have to be crazy to fly the thing. I don't have the article anymore, but I seem to recall the original test pilot saying something about parking it and never fly the thing again.
      based on that - not my first choice of planes to fly.

Comment

Well, I hope a paint job will help that plane because in bare metal that is one ugly plane.

Eye of the Beholder, I guess

Don Hatten
        Go Bear!

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing this thing round the pylons. I don't care about it's rumored past (although I hope Morss has checked that out), and it will look better than an empty section of air in between two other racers.

At least they’re going for it like Shockwave, American Spirit, Mach Buster/other Wildfire. It may be overly optimistic, but what the hell, it's something new at Reno that might make some waves, ignite someone imagination, and possibly smack a would-be sponsor on the side of the head.

Good luck,

BP

Wildfire Home Page
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

This is the most exciting news in 10 years (OK 5, or maybe less unless you except Mike Brown)! While I cannot find flaw in the aerodynamicists background, I hope that the modern iteration is a little more like the drawings than the 1983 photo's on the website. Air flows like the eye see's it, big and chunky goes slow, small and smooth goes fast. The carb scoop, multiple angled vert. stab and wing root fairing are begging for remake.
            Never the less, I agree with Bill Pearce and can't wait to see it.

Chris

Comment

The press release did state that it "incorporates a compleatly new wing and tail design". I'm sure that would cure the squirlieness of it's original flight report. I don't think Dave Morss would jump willy nilly into the cockpit unless the design quirks were solved. I personally love the U2/Critical Mass style tail!

Wether it will go any faster than Czech Mate (with the same powerplant) remains to be seen. Hopefully with all that design talent, they'll come up with something. It will be great to see it at Reno reguardless of it's competitiveness.

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Good comparison to Czech Mate. No contest in my book. It looks like independently designed parts assembled almost as an afterthought. Having built two airplanes though, I must applaud their effort. I'll be cheering for them!
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                  Good comparison to Czech Mate. No contest in my book. It looks like independently designed parts assembled almost as an afterthought. Having built two airplanes though, I must applaud their effort. I'll be cheering for them!
                  Peas,

It is, undoubtedly, an unusual airplane, to say the least! Not being an aero guy, at first blush, it does appear to be, well... unusual .... When I spoke with Dave Morss about it a few weeks ago, he seemed fairly impressed with the airplane and the people involved with the project.

Obviously, they are thinking out of the box with this one and they make that statement on their website.

To my eye, the two most noticeable "oddities" on the airplane are the cowl, and the wing root fairing. Both *appear* to be somewhat less than well thought out.. That said... Given that the guys who designed it are aero guys, my thoughts run toward that they must know what they are doing and, again, given that they are out of the box on this, they might be "seeing" something that we're not.

As for it giving Czech Mate a run, let's hope that Czech Mate is THERE to be given a run!

A lot of people don't think CM will ever really "go fast" for my money, I don't care! Same with the other CM (Critical Mass) I don't really care if airplanes that look and sound as exciting as they do ever win, or go "really fast"... they look cool on the ramp, cooler in the air.. exotic is what it's all about.

I'm excited to see another entry into the field! Hope they make '04!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wild fire is a strange beast, but thats why its gonna win

Comment

Are they using Wildfire as the airplane built from the parts of the crashed C-119 in the re-make of "Flight of the Phoenix"?
                      Chris...

Comment

Hmmm.... I think after 25 years in the desert building wildfire there would not have been anyone left to fly it. I do think the wing could accommodate passengers quite nicely however.

BP
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                          To my eye, the two most noticeable "oddities" on the airplane are the cowl, and the wing root fairing. Both *appear* to be somewhat less than well thought out.. Wayne
                          I remember discussing the project with my father back in the early '80's. We're both pretty well educated in aerodynamic theory, and we were split on the wing root fairings. My thought was 'what the hell are they thinking?', but my dad's comment was 'wow, that's getting into some high-concept aerodynamics there'. He proceeded to explain some of the 'black hole' stuff that he had been exposed to, and though he did admit that the project on the whole looked rather 'thrown together', he was impressed with the concept of the fairings.

Wildfire has been the butt of many jokes over the last 25 years, (including myself, admittedly) but I really do hope that this airplane succeeds.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            Wildfire has been the butt of many jokes over the last 25 years, (including myself, admittedly) but I really do hope that this airplane succeeds.
                            Yep, if she does well, there will be one HUGE Crow BbQ this year at Stead!

There are a ton of people who, over the years, have signed up for this one... should the party be put on...

Wayne
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                              I do think the wing could accommodate passengers quite nicely however.

BP
                              Count me in I want the right side!!! YEEHAAAA
                              http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                              http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Working...
                              X