• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-Two

What day was this taken? Friday?
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Competition photos

It's a remarkable and dynamic photo, and just the kind that shouts "competition" to me. For all of you photographers out there, it's also the kind of photo I'd pay for. I can't really explain it, but the sight of two (or more) racers "neck and neck" in a photo is highly desirable to me, more so that just a single airplane in an air to air photo shoot, on the course or on the ramp.
    Well done, Dominique. Off to your web-site next...

Comment

Wonderful Shot!!

Bravo Dominique! This is THE great photo from the Unlimiteds this year. I saw the shot, and tried, but mine is just not sharp. I'm envious...

It was done from pylon 2 on Friday -- end of the first lap, I think, as Skip passed John for the lead.

Neal

Comment

Re: Competition photos

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
        it's also the kind of photo I'd pay for. I can't really explain it,<snip>
        Well done, Dominique. Off to your web-site next...
        Indeed, "well done!"

And I can explain a few things that make it so great for me:

1) The incredible sense of depth with the mountains in the background.

2) The detail- props discernable but not such a fast shutter that they're "frozen", the spraybar steam behind Dago, the "tunnel" of shimmering hot air beind the Bear that looks for all the world like jet exhaust.

3) The lighting. Its probably not the "best" angle on the aircraft to show every detail about them, but I'll trade that for the fact that the sun angle sets up such wonderful glint patterns on the props, canopies, and cowlings. And the deep shadow on the valley down the side of the mountain behind is *perfect* and contributes to the sense of depth I mentioned in #1

Its an amazing shot, and one I can point to my non-airrace fan friends as an example of what piston engine air racing is really all about.

Steve L.

Comment

Working...
        X