Gulfhawk Bearcat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulfhawk Bearcat

Whatever happened to the beautiful orange Gulfhawk Bearcat that was flying for a short time a few years ago. I know it experienced an engine failure at Oshkosh a few years ago right after takeoff. Is it being rebuilt or ?? I think the owner was from the LA area......can't remember his name. Supposedly was a big Mustang part supplier. I met him at the Tracy Warbird flyin a few eyars ago, had the bird there, was a nice guy with a beautiful plane. Had a jump seat in it too.

He owned Pioneer Aero. Elmer Ward I think his name is. Don't know what happened to the plane though.

DT

Comment

Not helping much....

The plane was owned by Elmer Ward. On the planes of fame restoration page:

PoF Restorations

It is listed as "Elmer Ward: F8F-2 Bearcat 'Gulfhawk 4th' - helped restore after crash at Oshkosh "

That would make it restored and looking nice some where, but I don't know where it is now. I'd like to know. I saw it at Oshkosh that year an it was beautiful. It's last registration date was 1992.

Bill Pearce
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

seafury

Indeed Mr. Ward did restore Gulfhawk over many painstaking years. It is my understanding that both himself and his wife were in the aircraft when it had a major cough seconds after take off from Oshkosh. Fortunately both came through in better shape than Gulfhawk.
        A friend and I enjoyed a somewhat improptu tour of Mr.Wards hanger a couple of months ago. It was brilliant to stand amongst gleaming P-51's restored to jewle like condition. Several years ago Mr. Ward allowed me the privalige of subsidising his fuel for what turned into an increadible 50 minute flight in Man-O-War his P-51. It bought back very special memories to stand next to that aircraft again.
        I asked Mr. Ward about Gulfhawk, her orange external fuel tank sits collecting dust in the hanger, he said it will be restored and gave the impression that is a slow on-going project which will not be completed for some time to come.
        Giles

Comment

Man-O-War

Mr. Ward took me up back in 80 for a Short hop for the cost of fuel. Turned into a good 45 minutes and I'll never forget it or the man who talked to a bystander like he knew me.
          Anyone know if Gulfhawk retained the colors or went military?
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

So it sounds like the bearcat is in progress of being restored by POF???

This thread brings back one of the saddest recollections I have at Oshkosh. We were camped right across from the new Aeroshell Square eating dinner when we heard a radial on approach. We all looked up and saw an unfamiliar orange Bearcat coming in.
            After dinner we went out to see the new arrival, and were excited to see the freshly finished Gulfhawk IV sitting on the ramp. Beautiful. I have a picture of the hobbs meter in the gear wheel with about 30 hours or so on it. I will dig the pictures out and scan if any are worth it.

The sad part is we had a front row spot on the line the next day, and I was using a borrowed 35mm camera for the first time. We say Ward takeoff, but he remained low over the fence with a less than perfect sounding engine as he departed. We really thought nothing of it. We watched and waited for the Gulfhawk to do it's flyby, but it never reappeared during the warbird show.

Suspecting the worst my brother and I left the line after the warbird show (as we usually do) and hopped our bikes to investigate the areas surrounding the airport. Rumor was spreading on the field that the Gulfhawk made an off field landing, and the pilot was OK.

To our unhappiness we saw the orange of the Gulfhawk sticking out of a field off the south end of the runway. We were able to get right up the crash site. They were deciding how to get the aircraft out; the rescue crews had already gone. I shot my thirty remaining shots of the crash site, close up walking around it. I still remember standing over the cracked canopy, and looking at the initial impact marks in the ground with horror and amazement. The plane was torn up pretty badly, definitely a LONG-term restoration project.

I would love to post the pictures I took of that. I would love to look at them to help me remember how bad the damage was. Unfortunately the roll of film in an unfamiliar camera never took up. I happily went to rewind the most privileged shots I had ever taken, to find the leader still where it was when I loaded the camera. The film never took up. I think back many times on this incident. I am glad the Ward’s are alright, did not know both were in the plane. I sure wish I had grabbed my camera before getting on the bike that day.

~Jim

Comment

cameras

If it's any consolation Glider, my father once borrowed my old Minolta to use on a cross country vacation. Ignoring my loading instructions, he used 10 rolls over 2 weeks and never took a single picture. Never noticed either....until they were developed!

Leo
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

AFAIK, the bearcat is in storage at chino. The guys at Fighter Rebuilders did some work on the center section, then she was put in to storage. Last I heard. Elmer Ward's business, Square One was sold and now under new management, how this affects the status of his personal a/c, I don't know. Ward had a second set of controls put in the back...making it a TF8F, hopefully she will resurface someday back in all her glory.

JimHarley

Comment

somewhat current update

Warbirds International March/April 2004 has a great article on civilian owned Bearcats and the Gulfhawk Bearcat is covered nicely with several (15) photos including a photo in it's current state.

Bearfan1 ,,,,,,,, out!
                  One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

Oshkosh Photo

Oshkosh Photo
                    Attached Files
                    One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Comment

Re: Gulfhawk Bearcat

Reports that Gulfhawk IV rebuild was acquired by The Fighter Collection in Duxford...

David
                      RAFster

Comment

Originally posted by RAFster
                        http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/thirdseries13.html

Reports that Gulfhawk IV rebuild was acquired by The Fighter Collection in Duxford...

David
                        RAFster
                        Yes,
                        Stephen Grey obtained G IV along with the parts that became Miss Velma when Square One was closed.
                        Rich

Comment

Re: seafury

Originally posted by GBBC
                          It is my understanding that both himself and his wife were in the aircraft when it had a major cough seconds after take off from Oshkosh.
                          Elmer was alone in the a/c when it went in. The Pioneer crew kept Lois out of the loop until it was confirmed that Elmer was alive.

T J

Comment

Wasent this the gulfhawk that held many climb records back in the day?

Bmarsh

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
                              Wasent this the gulfhawk that held many climb records back in the day?

Bmarsh
                              That was the original which was destroyed long ago. I believe it was a landing accident.
                              Elmer bought the paperwork and registered his using that.
                              The original was civilian and never military.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X