Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest ground launched aeroplane ever !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest ground launched aeroplane ever !

I tinkered a rail launch ramp according to this:

Based on this data; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_sled_launch

Due to factors including the exponential nature of the rocket equation and higher propulsive efficiency than if a rocket takes off stationary, a NASA Maglifter study estimated that a 270 m/s (600 mph) launch of an ELV rocket from a 3000-meter altitude mountain peak could increase payload to LEO by 80% compared to the same rocket from a conventional launch pad.[5] Mountains of such height are available within the mainland U.S. for the easiest logistics, or nearer to the Equator for a little more gain from Earth's rotation. Among other possibilities, a larger single-stage-to-orbit (SSTO) could be reduced in liftoff mass by 35% with such launch assist, dropping to 4 instead of 6 engines in one case considered.[5]

This is just a dream..not a real project..but could be realized with "pocket change" !

It could reach M7 at 380 000 ft. In re-entry just 1/8 of the wing loading of the shuttle.

I did check that X-15 engine was 50:1 TWR as new SpaceX engines are 200:1 TWR systems...so it is very doable....but engine must be custom made.
    Last edited by Jukka; 01-14-2019, 02:13 AM.

Re: Fastest ground launched aeroplane ever !

This Rutherford engine would give that small fast mover 4 x better power to weight ratio than Me-262 had....already on take off with present configuration...when all equipments like e-seat is added then after some fuel is burned it will have even better power to weight ratio.

Last edited by Jukka; 01-15-2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I read that you can reach 100 ISP with just compressed air... so actually...you might be able to fly a short while supersonic just with compressed air.

Who wants to try ?

Comment

If it's on Reddit, it must be true haha. Kidding aside, that's a neat idea, Jukka.
        These are shakes dedicated to weight loss and only that.

Comment

Working...
        X