Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

whoops

sorry no image on previous post
    Attached Files
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

That's the Mustang currently owned by Chuck Hall down in Ramona, CA. It's a frequent participant in the Heritage Flight stuff with the Air Force, and Chuck actually brought it to Reno in '97, but it was too slow to race.

Comment

Thanks,

The picture is awsome......but didn't know the a/c...
        Randy Rheinschild
        www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

That aircraft, actually a Cavalier TMK.2 Mustang, is a very common site at West Coast airshows. Every time I've seen it it has been involved in the heritage flight as speeddemon mentioned.

Rick

Six Shooter and A10 head-on pass during the Moffett 2002 Airshow
          Attached Files

Comment

Dude that is awesome picture

Wooooowwwww!!!
            Randy Rheinschild
            www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
              That aircraft, actually a Cavalier TMK.2 Mustang,
              Just thought I'd add that there is no such thing as a "Cavalier TMK.2". According to Bob Lindsay, the son of the founder and president of Cavalier, this is a designation which is the product of someone's imagination.

When it comes to military Mustangs built or modified by Cavalier, there are only "Cavalier F-51Ds", "Cavalier Mustang IIs", or "Cavalier TF-51Ds" -- regardless of what you read in a number of prominent books, magazine articles, and even websites!

In this case, "Six Shooter" is a Cavalier F-51D that was built for Bolivia in '67.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Randy.

I got my information from a website that is usually accurate. I guess you can't always trust what you read on the internet.

Rick

Comment

Type: Cav. F-51 D (Thanks Randy)
                  Serial #: 67-22580
                  Registry: N2580
                  Owner: Chuck Hall
                  _
                  History / Previous Identities:
                  _
                  1968: Bolivia FAB 520
                  1977: C-GXUQ (Arny Carnegie)
                  1986: N151RK (Richard Korff)
                  1992: (Chuck Hall)

I took this photo at Chino Last year.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Just for further information, at the link above is a photo of the cover of the Cavalier F-51D Maintenance Manual. I apologize for the poor quality, but it's a digital photo I just snapped of a copy of a copy! Remember to cut-and-paste the URL, and not just click the link...Tripod doesn't allow image linking to us free-loaders. How do I upload a photo to the board here locally...anyone?

Anyhow, the aircraft pictured on the cover is 67-14865, also a Bolivian-bound Cavalier, in the batch of airplanes just prior to the one "Six Shooter" was built with. Note that it is clearly called a "Cavalier F-51D" right there on the cover.

Comment

Note that it is clearly called a "Cavalier F-51D" right there on the cover.
                      I believe, I believe...

In case we haven't seen enough of the Cavalier F51D 'Six Shooter' yet. This one is from the 2003 Pacific Coast Air Museum Airshow in Santa Rosa, CA.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Usually anything with "MK.2-3-4-etc. is an English or Canadian bird. Though I do know that the Space Shuttle uses T-minus 10-9-8-etc. It's stupid I know, Randy please don't beat up on me, I love ya, man. But yer still not gettin my last Bud Light!

An interesting note (don't know if it's true, but I heard it from several different sources) If you notice the blue on the top of Six Shooter. I've heard that When "Lou IV" was restored, there was only black and white photos of the original (in the ancient days before the internet). Using a shading technique they determined the top of the fuse and wings were a dark blue. Later, after the restoration, a color photo surfaced and it was green all along. They thought it looked so good with the blue that they left it as is, and other mustangs were painted with the blue on top also just because it looks good. Again, I don't know if it's true. But it's what I was lead to believe.

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Here she is again at Reno '02.
                          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Full-size pic??

Marauder61- Any chance you could email me a full size copy of that shot for my desktop? The clouds make such a great backdrop. I was there in '02 but only have video of the Heritage flight. Thanks & Happy New Year

Comment

That is a great shot. I took one at about the same time and had it enlarged and framed. Probably the best shot I got from the 9 rolls of film I ran through my old Nikon FG.

Comment

Working...
                              X