Feature film re: Unlimited's funding wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature film re: Unlimited's funding wanted

I am the director, writer of the original World of Wings 2000 coverage of Reno Unlimiteds, “People, Passion, Pistons and Power” that aired on Speedvision. On that production our world-class team of 12 people used 15 cameras / air-to-air and ground coverage for a Telly Award winning production.
    If you have access to feature film funding please contact me re: the original 'Reno – The Race of a Lifetime' concept that was registered/copyright protected in 1992. This fictional film, based on the Unlimited Air Races, is a ‘TopGun meets Days of Thunder’…in fact Wayne has his opinion of the script and me – ask him before contacting me if you would like.
    As all of you know there have been many attempts at this overall theme and the silver screen is still lifeless without it, so, roll up your sleeves - think of those you know that have the kind of seed-money (1M+) to get this rolling.
    For those who qualify there is a complete script, crew, production / distribution brief, available. The complete production costs will not need to be covered by this initial investment. There are checks and balances to insure that the project does not continue without proper steps being completed that will insure a successful completetion.
    Please if you do not know a real high-risk, 'I can live without it, person'...do not write to me. I will not want to put myself or you in a situation that is too emotional.
    The worlds best Hollywood Director and Producers for this production are a part of this team. So, if you really want to help in seeing this at your local theater – write to; mitchscript@hotmail.com. Fly fast!

I don't think Mitch would appreciate me divulging what I've seen of the script that he sent me for review... But I will say this. I read through the opening scene of it and immediately wrote back to Mitch telling him that at the climax of that opening segment, I got HUGE goose bumps and chills.. It was that exciting!

Tom Cruise <sp?> Here's your vehicle!

Oh, and can you imagine Tom C. and some of the other flying actors, together in the same air racing movie?

You would not have to be a fan of either aviation or racing to enjoy this movie!! It's got it all from what I've seen..

You ROCK Mitch!!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

Please, lets keep the casting open. If Tom Cruise is cast, it will turn into another Top Gun. Only this time there will be dancing ladies on the wings of the racers as they come down the shute.

Comment

Not the most popular organization in the world right now in the Air Racing community, at least among those who have commented in this message board ... (I'm not entirely convinced why) ... but has anyone talked with RARA about the support or leverage they might bring to such a project?

Comment

Dear Unregistered,

I have had great discussions with RARA (early on - early 90's) - but as we all know - like the request I have, it is all about money. I hate to use it, and read it over and over, but it is true. Yes RARA does know of the power and benefits, but here we are after many attempts. However - the great news is that I have not left the dream and it is my business - it will happen by our team or someone else. I have had Lefty and all of the original guys in my camp along with Hoover for years. So, please - I believe someone out there reading this is a person or two or 7 degrees from a risk-taker who could throw in seed-money to attach a real name and get this baby to 'kick, spit, smoke and roar'...

Regards, mitchscript@hotmail.com

Comment

Mitch -

Is it possible that after some years that a re-connect with RARA is not possible?

Comment

(sp)?

Comment

Speaking of Casting Hollywood's Flying Actors ...

Tom Cruise is currently reviewing a couple of WW II related potential projects, but you will most likely see him flying Spitfires next as Billy Fiske - adapted from the upcoming novel / biography "The Few." Cruise will co-produce with director Michael Mann (Miami Vice) with script by John Logan (Last Samurai & the upcoming Marty Scorsese / Leo DiCaprio Howard Hughes biography "The Aviator.")

Brooklyn born Fiske won back to back Olympic gold medals (1928 & 1932) as captain of the USA Bobsled Team (at age 16 - becoming the youngest Olympic gold medalist ever). He declined to participate in the 1936 games in protest to the Germans. In 1938, while working as a banker in London, he learned to fly and married the Countess of Warwick. Risking a U.S. prison sentence, he and a bunch of other rag-tag American pilots joined the RAF in 1939. Fiske became the first American to die in WW II when his Hurricane squadron fought a patrol of Junkers 87 over southern England in August 1940. He belly landed the plane, but sustained severe burns and died two days later.

Fox 2000, Cameron Diaz & Mimi Rogers (Cruise's ex wife) are set to film "W.A.S.P.S." - about the WW II female pilots. Rogers will produce and play Jackie Cochran.

Anthony Edwards (Top Gun, E.R.) plays Brains - the inventor of International Rescue's rockets - opposite Bill Paxton & Ben Kingsley for director Jonathan Frakes' (Star Trek) live action version of the classic puppet series "Thunderbirds."

Tom Hanks & Steven Spielberg are reteaming with HBO for a follow-up to "Band of Brothers." The 10 part miniseries is about the American battle against the Japanese in the Pacific. Production will start after Hanks finishes his current 13 part HBO Revolutionary War series "John Adams." While not warbird related - Hanks & Spielberg recently finished filming the comedy "Terminal." Hanks plays an Eastern European immigrant who becomes a resident of a New York airport terminal when a war breaks out and erases his country from the map, voiding his passport. He makes friends with the airport staff and falls in love with a flight attendant. Hanks is also producing / narrating an upcoming Imax 3D film, "Magnificent Desolation" - about what it was like to be an Apollo astronaut.

And for those who are craving a Hollywood auto racing fix, have no fear - you can look for these films in the next year or so: NASCAR 3D: The Imax Experience ; Disney's Richard Petty film starring Dennis Quaid ; ESPN's just announced Dale Earnhart movie of the week ; and Daytona Cabbie - a feature film about a NY cab driver pressed into NASCAR action.

Best.

Hans Kummer
                Wild Child Entertainment, Inc.

Comment

Reactions

Dear Unregistered,
                  A reconnect is a great idea. If I do that I want to be able to meet with cash in hand to lay a deposit on the 'set', prior to even asking if it is available. I am sure they are sitting on a deal or two - but a great idea.
                  ###
                  Dear Hans Kummer,
                  Wow - you are in the know. I realize there is tremendous information out there, and you seem to really be focused on the subject matter. Thank you for the update and I will be looking at your site (I am assuming you have one) then, if okay with you, I would like to understand your goals and if we could align some effort(s). This is exactly the type of 'group relationship(s)' I hoped this posting could create.
                  ###
                  In addition, we just got word from an investment group that is in the business and is asking for more information.
                  ###
                  Regards to all - and Fly Fast! Mitch

Comment

Mitch,
                    If your looking for actors, I took several years of acting classes. I do a mean Jim Carry/Ace Ventura impression, and I dated Ginger Lynn. Gimme a call!!

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Hey Mitch !

I'm actually one of the producers on the Imax "Airspeed" project along with director Chris Woods. My first loyalty / responsibility is to Chris and seeing Airspeed thru to fruition, but (baring any conflict of interest) I'd be glad to offer any assistance that may be of help. I am involved with several other aviation related projects as well, but can't go into their detail in a public forum at the moment. If / when some news happens, I'll be sure to report it here.

I have seen the Speedvision special - kudos to you, Wayne, Jeff Lee and the rest of the team for a great show. Likewise, congrats to Jeff on the recent Crystal award win. I have spoken with him about working on my various projects when they happen.

As you know, we had an Imax Airspeed team at Reno 2001 (Pylon 1 & Air Classics gave us some great coverage). Unfortunately, we made the best of a difficult situation and Chris had to pay some substantial costs (RARA rights fees, equipment, logistics, post production) for limited ground coverage only. Out of that Imax footage, Chris was able to cull about 5 minutes worth of scenes for a project "demo" reel with narration by actor / pilot Cliff Robertson.

Like you - we also have a killer script. Nonstop action from the start with a heartfelt human story at the core. This 'aint' your grandmother's type of Imax film (ie. insert Star Trek actor voice over - "Now we take you to the Amazon to witness the mating habits of the stick bug!") Everybody that knows the story loves it and can't wait to see it. So - combine the script with the demo reel and a customizable base business proposal and you should be off to the races, right? Think again.

Funding for media projects (particularly in this economy) is a brutal undertaking to begin with. Unfortunately for our projects, the subject matter (volitile physical risk, an overall race industry with a limited infrastructure, extremely high capital & maintenence costs, compartively small win purses, etc.) does not lend itself to being attractive to most investment parties.

It all comes down to money and, unfortunately, it is much more complicated than "Can you sign me a check?" I can't tell you how many projects I have been / am involved with where the investors & sponsors say - "It's great, we love it and we want to be involved. BUT ...... Come back to us when you've got somebody else's money first." The process becomes a never ending chicken & egg, dog chasing its tail, catch-22 situation. Everybody wants a sure thing and although there is no such thing as a sure thing - in Hollywood & investment terms, having Other People's Money in place is what seperates the men from the boys ; the do-ers from the dreamers.

As for Imax "Airspeed," we have the full "support" of the air race industry (RARA, WoW, the individual teams, and various other associated people). But (apart from a couple of exceptions) these groups are all scrounging for resources themselves, so a substantial financial commitment is typically not possible. Most support would be some sort of VIK - value in kind (donated equipment, time, physical resources, discounted / free services, etc.).

The funding problem comes in when investors & sponsors require a substantial return on investment - everybody's got their hand out in one way or another. For our types of projects seeking the majority of funding becomes a crap shoot of reaching the right angel investor with proper motivation (ego, adventure, creative business opportunity,etc.) or some sort of "free money" - usually corporate sponsors who have a particular message or demographic they are trying to reach.

If A-List Hollywood talent were involved (Cruise, Ford, Hanks, etc.) you can bet that their agents will fight to get top dollar. If you're lucky they may take a reduced fee, but they will demand substantial back end points (usually against gross not net) - which means that they get paid a hefty percentage of the box office first and you and the investors hopefully won't be fighting for scraps. {This is how some studios can claim that a $100 million+ blockbuster has barely made any money - some talent also get big back end deals in addition to their $20+ million upfront - simply because they know their name alone is what will draw people to the theater.}

The rest of the funding typically is a complicated mess of other sources - VIK's, tax break schemes, minority investors (see above), consortium finance, gap finance, maxed out credit cards - you get the idea.

Needless to say, we are still actively discussing Imax Airspeed with various entities in the aviation community, private investors and sponsors. If I can assist your Reno project, I'd be glad to help.

In the end, it's a fools game - But, hey somebody's got to play.
                      As a friend of mine says - "The more spaghetti you throw against the wall, sooner or later something's gonna stick !!!"

Best.

Hans Kummer
                      Wild Child Entertainment, Inc.

Comment

Thank you...

...Hans - I understand all too well. Great summary and kudos to Chris and you for - 'keepin' in alive'.
                        At the right time drop me an email and I promise not to get into your 'soup'...who knows maybe we can all win.
                        ###
                        Race 29 - You will be a 'first to call' :-)
                        ###
                        Mitch
                        ###
                        PS - Thank you for the mentions on the WoW show! Yes, that team I led was and is the best.

Comment

Mitch,
                          Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll be hanging out next to the phone!

Hans,
                          I've seen your promo over on Pylon1 and you've caused me many sleepless "cold sweat" nights. It looks like a first rate production! I had just asked about it on another post just a few days ago. WOW, that was really a comprehensive update! I'll be the first in line when both of these movies premier. NASCAR is set to release their IMAX movie in a few weeks, hopefully it will be successfull enough for you to "ride on their coat tails" and help you both get the funding you both need.

Race 29
                          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

<<‘TopGun meets Days of Thunder’>>

Trying very hard to be a civil unregistered guest but barely managing.

GP

Comment

Just remembered that this film is coming out soon as well ....

Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow

Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

I believe that the "heroes" are flying P-40s (that are mainly computer graphics and bluescreened mock-ups).

The pic stars Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow & Angelina Jolie.

Comment

Working...
                              X