Past RARA antics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past RARA antics...

Considering the recent posting concerning the goings-on at RARA, I thought some of the people who are relatively new to the sport would like to be enlightened to some background.

The following is quoted from an article in the March 1978 issue of Air Classics. It is called "the Reno Adventure", by Ben Harrison. Ben owned a T-6 that photographer Jim Larsen used as a camera platform on a regular basis. Larsen (along with the rest of the Paine Field Coyotes like Pat Palmer and Jim Landry) convinced Harrison to bring the T-6 to Reno and 'race' it. At the same time, they thought it would be a marvelous opportunity to photograph some of the racers in the air.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was heading back to the pit area when I saw Jerry Duty, the air race director. I introduced himself and told him that Jim Larsen and I were hoping to do some air-to-air photography with some of the racers. 'Absolutely not!' he screeched. 'There will be no air-to-air photography here during race week. I'm not interested in publicity or public relations."

I suggested that perhaps some of the racers were interested in getting magazine coverage. 'I thought we could go out in the morning before...'

"Definitely not! We get too many complaints about the noise already."

"Well," I continued, "what about in the evenings after the course is closed?"

"Forget it! I own this airport 24 hours a day during race week. Nothing moves without my permission. And furthermore, if you bring your airplane on this field, I will see thaty ou get an FAA violation filed against you!"

I must have looked rather stunned because he asked, "Your airplane isn't on the field already, is it?"

"Well...actually, yes."

Finally he asked "You aren't planning to race, are you?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gotta love 'em. At least the current administration comes by it honestly.

Speeddemon

Hey speedemon,

I don't know who you are but I do have a fair amount of respect for you simply based on your vast knowledge of air racing; even though you and have disagreed on some topic here. I'm not trying to burn you here...

So pause for a moment and think of where this sport could be if the sanctioning body, RARA, actually worked to advertise, promote and further the support, rather than just maintain it, rather, themselves.

I don't know what you mean by "At least the current administration comes by it honestly."

Make no mistake; I classify myself as a "new guy". I've been going since 86, but only gained consciousness in 97. In 03 I spent some time talking to a few pilots, press, crew and tenants and the common denominator seemed to be "RARA is bad, but Air Races = RARA, and Air Races are good, so if you want air races you have to put up with RARA"

So I see storm clouds on the horizon. The Wx does not look too good. But maybe that's just my defunct Doppler....

By the way, have you taken a trip to Silver State News recently? Might want to have a look, especially if you are planning for 2005.

With respect,

Bill Pearce
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I am the bee's ghost, life-giver to chicken flinger and dumpster diver, the clown-boy's long-lost twin.

My anonymity may aggrivate some, but the words I speak are wise. Reasons for privacy I have, but those who know the truth about me have faith that my words usually come to pass.

Heroes have come and gone but the one constant that remains is the good guys always win in the end.

Make no mistake, I am no fan of RARA, nor do I advocate the sneaky, underhanded scare tactics that they have always utilized. To say that the current administration comes by it honestly is more a statement of absolute power corrupting absolutely...that directors may come and go, but the nature of the beast remains the same.

Read nothing more into it than that.

Comment

I did not think you were a fan of RARA. You anonymity does not bother all.

Shine on you crazy diamond.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
        X