scratch built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scratch built?

Been going through my new book on Round Engine Racers and and it brings up the question.
    Rare Bear, Super Corsair, Critical Mass,Dreadnaught,etc are all modified or super modified Radial engine racers .

Has anyone ever seen or heard of plans for a scratch built radial racer ala Tsunami? You know building the smallest possible airframe around a very large round engine? Something like an updated Gee Bee maybe

just curious
    blacksheep
    Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

actually, from what i've heard, no real big mods have ever been made to a racing 4360.

but in any case, yes, matt jacksons' "american spirit" is a 3350 powered custom built and is supposed to be done sometime soon

daryl greenameyers' "shockwave" is a 4360 powered homebuilt that was going to be the first plane raced with a 2 stage blower for a 4360. apperantly it's sitting in a hangar somewhere, awaiting cash to be completed.

not exactly sure about all my info, this is oly what i've heard.
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

some of the YAKs are pretty modified but as for truely scratch built I think the above mentioned and "wildfire" are it

Comment

Re: scratch built?

The wildfire should be ready next year after over 20 years in the making. Has an R-2800 engine to save weight. Should be very fast. I hear it has a revolutionary wing designed by NASA to create lift while going around the pylons.
        Jarrod

Comment

Re: scratch built 4360 Reno-racer ?

Hi Fellas,

Here is my idea of the only reasonable solution for a large radial engined racer ala GeeBeeX.

Forward swept 8 degrees. 29 feet span. 20 feet lenght.

All the fuel in between engine and cockpit.

Landing gear either retracts into the wing or into the fuselage like in a Wildcat.

my 2 cents,

Juke
          Attached Files
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: scratch built 4360 Reno-racer ?

Nice sketch, Juke. Why the forward sweep?

But "9.7.04" ? I thought Finland was 8 hours ahead, not two days in the future
            SteveZ

Comment

Kilo Hotel hi !

I have lost track of time..I was redying drawings for a client with a date 9.7.04 to be delivered today..and didn't think about it more than a 2 minutes..( the design altogether ).

Forward sweep to get the CG right..the small plane couldn't hack it without it..good against torque too. See the Heinkel's last piston plane with estimated 880 km/h ( 550 mph ) top speed in the net ( luft46.com ). It had also a forward sweep and a coupled DB twin engine.

regards,

Juke T

Comment

Kilo Hotel,

Here is the link to the forward swept Heinkel..and last prop( + jet ) plane from NAA was also with 20 degree forward sweep.

JT

Comment

Thanks, Juke.
                  SteveZ

Comment

Working...
                  X